Workout Ideas

Options
Okay, here is my issue. I hit the gym pretty hard today, jump rope, basketball, stair master, totaling 1 hour of cardio. Strength training included lat pull downs, seated rows, tri-pushdowns, push ups, reverse ab crunches, regular crunches.

I need to come up with an idea for exercise tomorrow. My options are fairly limited but would love to get some suggestions. I took a day off yesterday, so I would rather not take another one tmrw, no matter how sore I may be.

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'd go with weights for the lower body. more cardio, and stretch. Definitely stretch!

For lower body weights, squats, lunges, deadlifts, leg press, leg extension, leg curl, calf raise, abductor, adductor, and plie squats. For cardio, I'd pick a machine just for something less impact then what you did today. A good deep athletic stretch afterwards, or maybe something different like yoga or pilates would be good too.
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. We do have a leg press and leg extension machine. I have heard these were bad exercises though, bad for the knees. I have been hesitant.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If you do them with proper form, they aren't bad for the knees. In fact, I've done both as part of my rehab for my knee injuries. 30% leg extensions are the main one I kept in my normal workout because they work so well at strengthening the knees. Just make sure that when you are on the leg extension and leg curl that you line the knee joint up with the pivot point on the machine. If you aren't lined up properly then you can injure the knee. For the leg press, put your feet high on the foot board so that when you are in the squat position your knees are in line with your ankles. If the knees go past the toes then it is rough on the knees, just like a squat.
  • cie91
    cie91 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi!

If you are looking for some great cardio training, try looking for at gym that offers les mills classes. Depending on your preferences in training and interests, find a class that fits you the best. Go to their website to read a little about the classes, and happy workout!

- Cecilie
  • scha4r
    scha4r Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi-

Since you will be sore and your muscles will need some sort of recovery, try doing bodyweight stuff. Lunges (forward, backward, side-to-side), wall-sits (30sec-1min depending on fatigue), sitting on the ground and raising your arms over your head to a 90 degree angle at the elbow invites stretching as well as (if it is slow and under control) resistance on arms.

Don't forget you can use light dumbbell weights with each of these which allows exercise however it lets your muscles that have broken down from yesterday recover enough for new exercises tomorrow.

Hope this helps. :)