Does squash count?

Options
Hi all, water bores me, I know I need to drink it, however after the 3rd glass or so it's just well erm yawn!

Anyway I was wondering if squash ie kia-ora or ribena counted or does it have to be plain water.

I know plain water is better and I am trying to get there ... however to start with is it ok to have the odd glass of squash to break the water intake up?

Thanks

Replies

• newstart66
    newstart66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Water is the healthiest choice for quenching your thirst at any time. It has no calories and contains no sugars that can damage teeth. If you don't like the taste of plain water, try sparkling water or add a slice of lemon or lime. You could also add some no-added-sugar or reduced-sugar squash or fruit juice for flavour. Just remember to log any cals in the squash :-)

It might help to drink from a sports bottle so you can sip it throughout the day- it is amazing how quickly you increase your fluid intake that way without it being a chore! - Good luck!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Lemonade, etc. counts for water intake, but it has an awful lot of calories. I couldn't stand plain water when I started, but I wanted to eat my calories—not drink them. So I started diluting lemonade with iced herbal tea (aka tisanes). After several months (YMMV), I substituted every other drink with water & fresh lemon &/or lime. Now, I drink lots of plain water. (And it costs less, too.)
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    There are a number of "water flavoring" choices on the market which are usually with artificial sweeteners, if that doesn't bother you. I find I drink more plain water when drinking through a straw. I have a recyclable cup with a straw that I use. No idea why, but I definitely noticed I was filling the cup up more often! But, then, I prefer plain water over the flavor additives... it's just me. I was never much of a soda drinker either.

My husband will use small amounts of fruit juices to give his water "flavor", which seems to be a pretty good alternative I think. Just log whatever amount of juice you use.

Also, I try to stick with a planned amount of water for different times of the day. For example, I drink 2 cups (1/2 litre) with my workout in the morning. If I don't finish it (which is rare), then I drink it on my drive to work. At work, my goal is at least 4 cups. At night, with and after dinner, another 2 cups. There's my 8! If I drink more, great. But, if I find my day at work is coming to a close and I have a cup left, I just drink it down quick (and then hit the restroom before I leave ;).

Best of luck ... find what works for you and stick with it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are tracking water to make sure you stay hydrated, then all non-alcoholic drinks should count.

If you are tracking water in an effort to drink more plain water, then you should probably only count plain water.