How long does it take to build muscle?

Options
So I'm going to focus on building muscle for the next few weeks rather than losing fat, because I got a BMR estimate of just over 1000, and RMR of 1300! Gah! Time to hit the weights I think!! So I was wondering, if I train pretty hard for about 30 minutes 6 days a week, what kind of muscle mass do you think I'll gain? 1lb a fortnight? Less? More?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    There's no straight forward answer without knowing your full circumstances but here's my quick response for what it's worth. If it's mass you're after then stick to around 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps, if it's general tone and strength then 12 to 15 reps over 3 sets of a much lighter weight. No more than an hour as after that the return on investment drops off quite steeply. You won't build muscle without nutrition or rest so think about protein and sleep. Also if you're aiming to train to 6 times a week you'll need to vary your workout so that you don't train the same muscle twice within around 3 days. If this is your first gym session for awhile then keep it light and build up over 8 weeks or so. Anything other will risk injury. 6 sessions for the unaccustomed sounds a bit too much if I am honest.

If I have a lay off from the gym for a month or so then I can expect to put on 2lb within the first fortnight of returning but then it evens out. I don't train to bulk up these days and focus more on the athletic, just a pity I haven't been consistent for ooooh errr. back on the wagon now though!
  • nelsaphine
    nelsaphine Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    There's no straight forward answer without knowing your full circumstances but here's my quick response for what it's worth. If it's mass you're after then stick to around 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps, if it's general tone and strength then 12 to 15 reps over 3 sets of a much lighter weight. No more than an hour as after that the return on investment drops off quite steeply. You won't build muscle without nutrition or rest so think about protein and sleep. Also if you're aiming to train to 6 times a week you'll need to vary your workout so that you don't train the same muscle twice within around 3 days. If this is your first gym session for awhile then keep it light and build up over 8 weeks or so. Anything other will risk injury. 6 sessions for the unaccustomed sounds a bit too much if I am honest.

If I have a lay off from the gym for a month or so then I can expect to put on 2lb within the first fortnight of returning but then it evens out. I don't train to bulk up these days and focus more on the athletic, just a pity I haven't been consistent for ooooh errr. back on the wagon now though!

Your response sounds great! You seem to know what you're talking about :)
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It depends what kind of strength training you're doing. If you're doing full body workouts, Give yourself at least a day in between workouts to let your muscles recover. If you are splitting your workouts into upper and lower body workouts, you can workout more, but give yourself at least two days a week to rest and recover. Some light cardio on your rest days is okay. Make sure to consume at least 20 grams of protein within half an hour of your workout. I like to alternate my workouts between heavy weights/low reps and light weights/higher reps. If you are working out for 30 minutes at a time, I would probably go with the upper body and lower body workouts, as opposed to a full body workout. That way you can work out on consecuetive days without overworking your muscles. Do compound or multijoint exercises like squats, deadlifts, bench presses and rows before doing your single joint exercises like dumbbell curls or leg extensions. It's impossible to say how much muscle you'll gain because everybody's body is different, but you should start seeing results after a couple of weeks, whether it's gains in strength or your physical appearance. Take a complete set of body measurements before you start, so you can compare after a couple of weeks and see the improvements. Don't be discouraged if your weight loss slows down or stops completely for the first couple of weeks. When you start a new or different exercise routine, your muscles tend to hold more water to help repair themselves. It's just temporary until your muscles adapt to your new routine! Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    @nelsaphine

Flattery will get you everywhere :wink: back in the early 90's through to around 2000 I used to train really heavily, did a few years as an aerobics instructor, did some time as a personal trainer. I am a bit rusty and out of touch these days but there're others on this site that have taken it to another level with a lot of professional education behind them.

A full response needs to go into a training regime at some level or other.
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your responses!
    At the moment I'm working core, lower body and upper body each on different days (one day each, saturdays off)
    @carl1738 - I'd never thought of consuming protein before the workout, just after. Thanks! Maybe I'll change my breakfast from my beloved oatmeal to eggs... sigh, lol

I've been strength training for the past 3 months, but at a calorie deficit so I don't think I've gained a significant amount of muscle. Definitely a bit - when I flex my arms I actually see muscle for the first time ever! Woohoo (yes, I really am that weak...), but now I'm eating at maintenance so I can build more. I wanted to start trying to trim off some fat again after the new year. Does that seem long enough to bulk up a bit?
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend checking out scoobysworkshop.com you can find answers to just about everything you want to know about getting into great shape.
    My advice is to expect it to take time. Bout a good year to build muscle and reshape your body. Be patient! Proper form is the key. Variety is another thing to keep in mind. Switch things up after 2 weeks. It's all about muscle confussion. The gym will off you alot of different exercises and will help you get a good routine down and it will be easy to switch it around. Push ups are great... If ya can do them properly.... I can't :( And don't forget about cardio... You need it @ least 20 minutes a day of it.... I use the P90x it's really good however I miss the gym.... Plus @ the gym is where ya get the variety of exercises.
    And the most important thing: EAT CLEAN!!!!! It's a must if you want definition!!!! I made my mistake, I have very little definition because I spent 2 years of my life working out hard at the gym and not eating clean. I loved my carbs and hated my protein. Now I have no choice I am eating clean and doin my workouts and given myself variety.
    Plus if your lookin for abs. Just remember abs were built in the kitchein :)
    Like I said check out scoobysworkshop to find out answers to alot of your questions. You will become greatly educated on his site I promise!