How do you lower your grocery bill eating healthy..

Options
Makoce
Makoce Posts: 938 Member
At the moment theres four people in our household.
Before I started losing weight, we were spending anywhere from $100 - $140 a week in groceries.

Now that Im cooking healthy meals from scratch, and buying fresh produce, fish, meat and such it's getting ridiculous.

My bill is up to 200$ or more a week now and my family is about to stop and go back to processed foods.
Not eating those foods has totally changed my health and gastrointestinal problems ( sugars and wheats and processed stuff really bothers me ), but they dont care because we cant afford such a jump in cost.

How do you guys eat so well on a budget?

Replies

• wildrosegeo
    wildrosegeo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A big part of this is where you live! My family is me, my partner and our toddler, and we spend $500-$600/month on groceries. Things are just expensive here.

I buy a lot of frozen produce, particularly in the winter when fresh is either hard to find or prohibitively expensive. Usually I stock up when things are on sale, I think I got 2 bags of a stir fry mix (President's Choice brand) for $5 last week? Fresh would be ideal, but I really don't mind frozen as an alternative.

The same goes for meat - I buy what is on sale, and then at home pack everything into meal sized bags and freeze it. That means the value packs of ground beef, or a tray of pork chops, etc.

Thirdly, I dedicate usually Sunday afternoons to baking for the upcoming week. We always have a big roast meat meal on Sunday nights (beef, chicken, turkey, etc) and that turns into lunches for a few days, and then the carcass (if there is one) gets roasted and turned into a soup for a supper or lunch. As well, I will bake a week's worth of muffins (last week's used frozen blueberries, yoghurt and stuff), maybe some cookies for DH/DD, possibly a dozen buns and/or a loaf of bread. That sort of thing. Then it gets stored in the fridge for a week.

It is definitely more time intensive to eat healthy for a lower cost, but to me it's worth it. Plus I love baking/cooking, so I enjoy it all.

I strongly recommend looking into meal planning. You don't have to become a crazy couponer, but planning meals around your typical store's flyers can also really reduce your food budget. It takes a bit of getting used to and definitely requires prep work, but in the end it saves money.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    i already stock up like crazy on large bags of frozen vegetables.
    I find it hard to figure out / split up meal sized bags of frozen bulk meat because I never know how much were going to use in a meal and then they complain i buy too many freezer bags LOL!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    SInce having my son and turning our family of 3 to 4 we definitely had to tighten the purse strings. I do the grocery shopping and I've turned into a sale fiend. I frequent 3 different grocery stores and watch their sales. I'll buy meat only when it's on sale...and I mean like $1.99 a pound for ground beef compared to $3.88 a pound or whatever regular price. Whatever is on sale I try to stock up as much as I have room for. Veggies and fruit I will only buy what is on sale and more "in season". Spaghetti squash was as low as $.38 a pound back in November...now I saw it as high as $1.18 so I don't buy it at all.

So I guess my suggestion is buy in bulk when it's on sale and watch the flyers. Buy what is "in season" and tailor your eating to it. There's also nothing wrong with buying processed foods if they're cheaper. You may have to find a balance so the budget is stuck to. I couldn't imagining doubling my food budget right now... and I think most people would feel the same way. I've been really paying attention the past year or so and kind of know in my head what is a decent price, where something is the cheapest at regular price, and what sale price is worth to buy in bulk or to hold out a few weeks for an even lower sale price.

In the summer there are multiple farmer markets a week at different places and those can be even cheaper. This year I plan to grow a couple vegetables....I have never done that before so it'll only be like 2 different things just to see if it's worth my time to save a bit.

When planning a meal...I've found we can use about 1 lb of chicken, 1 lb of pork chops or so, and atleast 1.25 lbs of beef. That's for my family of 4 which is me, my husband, a 12 year old and an almost 2 year old. (The 12 year old can sometimes eat more than my husband so he evens out the 2 year old). So when I buy a 10 lb package of meat I divide it up right away into approx 1.25 sections. If I'm making chili or something that requires more meat, I might put aside some browned meat to save for a lunch to throw on a salad or what not.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    buy frozen stuff- and price shop.

Seasonal stuff will be cheaper fresh- but off season- frozen stuff is winning- it's not any less healthy than the fresh.

use your coupons- read the papers- obviously driving all over the place isn't great- but if you are buying a lot of produce and one store generally has cheaper produce than meats- and you need that much- I'd take two trips.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    A few things that worked for us:

If you live in a decent-sized city, hit the smaller ethnic markets for produce. The big chains here have super-expensive for produce UNLESS they're running a good sale.

If you can, grow some of your own stuff. Even if you only have a balcony, you can get a couple of pots going--a cherry tomato plant will give and give and give for a while. Do as much as you can, and even if you're not a gardener it's really not that hard.

We buy whatever meat is on sale and buy double of the best deals so we have some freezer stock.

We also eat meatless 2-3 nights a week. (I realize this is a hard one for some; trust me, it took us time to get to this point :-)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    buy frozen stuff- and price shop.

Seasonal stuff will be cheaper fresh- but off season- frozen stuff is winning- it's not any less healthy than the fresh.

use your coupons- read the papers- obviously driving all over the place isn't great- but if you are buying a lot of produce and one store generally has cheaper produce than meats- and you need that much- I'd take two trips.

This. Frozen stuff, depending on where you live, is usually about a buck a bag, much cheaper than buying fresh and wil last longer.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Per a friend's recommendation, I started shopping at Aldi... they don't have everything a regular grocery store carries, but I am able to buy most/all of my weekly items there. I was spending about $110 or so per week at a local grocery store and cut that to about $70 or so at Aldi. It may be worth checking out if you have one nearby!

ETA: I generally buy fresh food and not a lot of frozen items. At Aldi I have been buying produce, dairy, as well as meat. I really like their produce and dairy and have been mostly happy with their meat. I've heard of others not loving their meat though.
  • TeeJayInc
    TeeJayInc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I second the Aldi's suggestion. And it may take more of your time, but clipping a coupon here and there helps a lot too.
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Try being strict about portion control. Sometimes I know my hubby wants to go back for more but I remind him that if he gets more there won't be enough for us to each have leftovers for lunch the next day. Stretching the food further does help!
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    At the moment theres four people in our household.
    Before I started losing weight, we were spending anywhere from $100 - $140 a week in groceries.

Now that Im cooking healthy meals from scratch, and buying fresh produce, fish, meat and such it's getting ridiculous.

My bill is up to 200$ or more a week now and my family is about to stop and go back to processed foods.
    Not eating those foods has totally changed my health and gastrointestinal problems ( sugars and wheats and processed stuff really bothers me ), but they dont care because we cant afford such a jump in cost.

How do you guys eat so well on a budget?

There are several different produce stores in our valley - one is significantly less expensive because most of their produce is already ripe - like you better eat it soon or its gonna go bad, ripe - I get a lot of my fruits there and cut them up and freeze them to use for smoothies, it's also on my way home from work so I can stop there and get a few things for dinner and use them right away if need be.

Also, if I am going to the meat section in the grocery store - I buy stuff on "Manager's special" and freeze it imediately for later use. I also just discovered that if you go to the actual meat counter at any grocery store - it ends up being cheaper than buying the stuff they've already butchered and packaged - I had absolutely no idea - I had always thought of the meat counter as "fancy" lol but I did significant comparisons and it really is cheaper...

Also, look for the specials at your grocery stores in the papers. This works for me but I am only buying for one - I understand it is probably more difficult for a family of 4.
  • sarahbrown1015
    sarahbrown1015 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I second the Aldi's comment! I buy all of my produce, eggs, yogurt, almond milk, and tons of other stuff. Check it out. It is not the same as when I was growing up. Much nicer now.
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm not being snarky. I don't understand these posts. eating fresh is so much cheaper than eating premade crap food. A whole chicken is less than $5. After you eat it, you cook it and make soup and add left over, and almost spoiled veggies and stuff. You have a few more meals.

It's so cheap to eat better, but I think there's a learning curve because everyone does it wrong for a while. It takes a while to figure out what healthy really means. And, then, it takes even longer to figure how that translates into savings.

Edited to add that frozen veggies are extremely expensive. I go to buy them and cringe, and then go buy fresh. I'm not paying in excess of $8 a bag. It's crazy expensive where I live, or where I shop, I don't know.

Where do you get a whole chicken for less than $5?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    The best investment I made was a vacuum sealer for the freezer. Stock up on meats when they are on sale and portion them out into individual servings. Make large pots of soups and stews and freeze the leftovers in single servings for quick meals or lunches. As somebody else recommended, buy a whole chicken, use the meat then make stock with the bones. Also canned tuna, rice and dried beans are very inexpensive per serving. I make things like chili, curries, beef stew, etc. Healthy doesn't have to mean fresh, organic vegetables or overpriced " all natural health foods".
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Aldi! It is owned by the same people that own Trader Joe's~ Very nice.
    Also check out international food stores. They sometimes have really great deals.

Shopping in bulk can also be smart. There's a store near me that is similar to whole foods and they have a huge bulk section. Things are almost always cheaper than pre-packaged. (Flour, grains, dry beans, spices, pantry staples, etc) And if you sign up for their free member program, you get 10% off bulk stuff once a week.

In the summer months, look into a CSA. (Community supported agriculture) You buy produce/eggs/etc directly from the farms. It can be a great deal, and also helps support local farmers!
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Go into the store with a list!

I hate going to the store without a list and typically spend 50 dollars more on impulse buys.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    oh also! buying pre-frozen bags of chicken is WAY more expensive than buying fresh and breaking the package up and freezing dinner sized portions for your family.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Edited to add that frozen veggies are extremely expensive. I go to buy them and cringe, and then go buy fresh. I'm not paying in excess of $8 a bag. It's crazy expensive where I live, or where I shop, I don't know.

$8 a bag???? Where in the world do you live? Most frozen veggies are $1 for a 12-16 oz bag at my grocery store. Some veggies such as carrots and sweet potatoes are cheaper fresh though.
  • wildrosegeo
    wildrosegeo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Unless I find an amazing sale, the cheapest whole chickens here are $12. Food, eating and prices are so highly dependant upon where you live!
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    THE DOLLAR STORE! I swear by that place.

Believe it or not, you can get things like whole grain pasta, dried beans, tomato sauce, wheat bread, soymilk, nuts, juice, even frozen veggies (avoid the broccoli though since it's mostly stems). I reduce my monthly grocery bill by half by going there.