Tricks for staying motivated.. err tips.. not tricks

Options
I have been under a lot of work related stress lately and have been stress eating. After I eat poorly, a lot of times I will say "Well, today is already ruined so I might as well do/eat ______." (I know this isn't the case and I am working hard on changing my mindset.) I have lost around 7 pounds and have been going to zumba 1-2 times a week and going to the gym 3 days a week additonal to the zumba class. I'm having trouble staying motivated and was wondering what are some tips that some of you awesome people have.

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've answered this question before with this statement: "You either want it or you don't".

I made the decision to get healthy after gaining 25 pounds over the course of 1 year. I hadn't really noticed the gain until I went to buy new jeans and had to size up twice. Instead of buying the fat jeans I walked out of the store and immediately signed up for MFP. I've worked really hard to lose weight and change my habits and that is my biggest motivator. I don't want to get back to that crappy place I was at where I hated how I looked and didn't care about what I put into my body.

On the days you feel like you've already screwed up, don't overdo it. Blowing your calorie limit for the day doesn't mean you can just keep on eating. It's a hard habit to break, but just take each day at a time and try to make up for your crappy days by doing better the next.

If you're having trouble with the motivation to work out then take a day or two off and don't stress about it. On your off days just eat fewer calories so that you're still able to lose weight.
  • Lld320
    Lld320 Posts: 81
    Options
    The only way I've really found to combat a lack of personal motivation is planning. If you plan out what you are going to eat, when you are going to work out even what you are going to wear you take all the work out of living a healthy lifestyle. Rather than convincing yourself not to eat that candy or to go to the gym you are just following through on what you already have set up.
    Also, take a picture of yourself like right now! Plan your next month of working out / eating right, build habits following through. When you take a second pic of yourself 30 days from now and compare the two they will have to force feed you chocolate and lock you out of the gym - seeing yourself be successful is the best motivator, the first month will always be the hardest until you can see results.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Take your goal, and put it on stickies and stick one to your bathroom mirror, one on your dashboard or visor of your car, and one at the desk/cubicle etc. where you work to remind you EVERYDAY of what you're trying to achieve.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Thank you!