Cauliflower crust

Options
Has anyone tried cauliflower pizza crust? I've come across a few recipes that promise that it's delicious but I'm having a hard time believing that :) I'm gonna try it out this weekend, but was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Replies

• beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    interesting never heard of it!
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yes- I have tried it! It was absolutely delish! I could not believe it. The crust is very pliable and has almost a "nutty" flavor. It is a little more spongy than regular crust, but if you make it thin, you should not have any issues. I have pics, but not sure how to share them. Here is a link to the picture on my FB: (I used lowfat cheese and turkey pepperoni on this one.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=717081204993021&set=a.566944000006743.1073741825.100000734450520&type=1&theater

Enjoy!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    One of my peers (another "clean" eating trainer) brought some to work and I tried it.

I'll stick to real pizza.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ggirl1313
    Ggirl1313 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I made cauliflower crust pizza & cauliflower bread sticks last night! I riced the cauliflower then added a little bit of olive oil in a baggy w/ it before i mixed egg white & a mix of parm & mozz cheese, fresh minced garlic, basil & oregano, also flipped it after 15 minutes. I think the longer you cook the crust before adding ingredients..the better it is! Worth a try !!! Good Luck!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    It's not a replacement for a pizza with a proper crust, but we have made it several times for another option and it's pretty tasty. Just make sure to squeeeeeeeeeeeeze out as much water from the cooked, riced cauliflower before proceeding, and spread it thin.
  • lysslax
    Options
    One of my peers (another "clean" eating trainer) brought some to work and I tried it.

I'll stick to real pizza.

Yup.

I've made it before and it's quite a hassle. Squeezing all the liquid out took forever, and then baking it also took a really long time. It was OKAY, but certainly just wasn't the same (or even close) to real pizza crust. I'm not sure I'd try it again
  • wildrosegeo
    wildrosegeo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's great! It's one of those things where you have to accept it for what it is (in this case, a cauliflower crust) instead of what it is pretending to be (pizza crust), but with that in mind it is good!

I prefer a nice flatbread pizza, though.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Its great!.... if you like cauliflower... if you don't... then don't waste your time or money making it....
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    WHY??? Im good with my extra thin normal crust
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No :noway:
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I love it! My mother and I have been tweaking the recipe and sharing our discoveries. Here's a list from her:
    A few tricks I've run across to make the "dough" more workable. Don't add water - but cover when nuking (I nuke for 4 min. stir and then 3 more minutes). After the cauliflower is cooled (I've only used just cauliflower), wrap it in a hand towel and squeeze the bejeebers out of it - lots of liquid comes out. Put the remaining in a bowl and it has a "flour" consistency. I add an egg to the mixture along with the cheese. I also put some red pepper in with the Italian spices to give it a little kick.

I spray the parchment paper with non stick spray before spreading out the "dough". We like it spread thin.

I also like to add in broccoli and spinach, and we prefer our crust to be thicker. The baking stone really seems to help quite a bit, too. Also, don't use a ton of sauce, it'll just make the crust soggy. Also, you don't have to use much cheese. While I normally prefer "drowned in cheese" pizza, with the right seasonings in the crust it's not needed, and the flavor or the cheese gets lost anyways.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I've made it before and it's quite a hassle. Squeezing all the liquid out took forever, and then baking it also took a really long time.
    This is my only gripe with cauliflower pizza.

I have no ideological or emotional allergy to food substitutions, cauliflower-based or not, but "diet" versions of treats always have such labor-intensive recipes.

A good recipe should be along the lines of:
    - put things in pot
    - boil until you run out of beer
    - eat
  • huneydrop
    Options
    My recipe which I love and I think it is way easier to make than real pizza dough. My hubby makes real dough, I make this and I am always done way ahead of him, not even counting the dough sitting part. Totally kills a pizza craving and is just as good reheated the next day. Only con (IMO) is that you usually have to use a fork and a knife which is a pretty small con...........

Crust:
    2 cups shredded cauliflower (200 gm) 0/4/4/50
    2 garlic clove, minced 0/2/0/8
    1 tablespoon olive oil 14/0/0/120
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 32/0/28/400
    1 egg 5/1/6/70
    1 tsp pinch italian seasoning
    1 pinch salt

51/7/38/648

Toppings:
    3 slices deli meat (various) 1/2/11/50
    1/2 cup Hunts Original tomato sauce 0/8/2/50
    2 Cups Mozza cheese 64/0/56/800
    10 slices Grimms pizza pepperoni 12.5/2.5/12.5/175
    1 portabella Mushroom (or 3 regular mushrooms) 0/3/2/25
    1 tbsp butter (saute mushrooms in) 11/0/0/100

88.5/15.5/83.5/1200

TOTAL: 139.5/22.5/121.5/1848
    DIVIDED BY 2: 70/11/61/924

Directions:
    Break the cauliflower into floret's and use a food processor to shred the cauliflower into little rice sized bits.
    Place the cauliflower crumbles in a large bowl and microwave them (dry) for 8 minutes. Give the cauliflower a chance to cool a bit (so it can be handled) and then pour he crumbles onto a clean tea towel that has been lined with papertowel, wrap the towel around it and squeeze to get as much moister out as possible.
    Place crumbles back in mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients.
    Mix thoroughly and press onto parchment paper.
    Once crust is ready slide paper onto hot pizza stone (450 degrees) and bake for 10-15 min., unit it starts to turn golden brown.

While the crust is baking cook toppings (mushrooms) in a pan to get moisture out and so they are warm/hot. Heat meat slices in the microwave to get them hot.
    Remove crust, layer sauce and toppings, then bake again until everything is hot and browned.

FYI: The numbers above are my macros - fat/carbs/prot/cals just incase anyone is wondering.
  • KariBear7
    KariBear7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am going to try it myself soon! I found the recipe for it on SkinnyTaste.com, and I do believe that it will be good.
    Last week I successfully turned a head of cauliflower into "mashed potatoes" and it. was. AMAZING! Tasted like real, mashed potatoes. No difference. So I totally believe it makes a good crust :)
  • huneydrop
    Options
    I am going to try it myself soon! I found the recipe for it on SkinnyTaste.com, and I do believe that it will be good.
    Last week I successfully turned a head of cauliflower into "mashed potatoes" and it. was. AMAZING! Tasted like real, mashed potatoes. No difference. So I totally believe it makes a good crust :)

I've done that too! Butter, garlic, sour cream, shredded cheddar mixed in.......mmmmmm!!!

PS: Is that you in your pic? Damn!
  • jnb143
    jnb143 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    YESSS. I wish I knew how to post a picture of how my turned out. I did last week. Although it was time consuming, it was definitely delicious!
    The toppings I chose for my pizza was tomato, spinach, red onion, and chicken along with a little mozzarella cheese and sauce.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I did it, and it was delicious! I find it could still work with more egg white and less cheese. I might make some more, and not have it as a pizza crust, but just as a delicious snack! Here's how it looked:
    http://i.imgur.com/bh5vLOK.jpg
    And with topping (minus the fresh spinach I added as well)
    http://i.imgur.com/yhNL3Rl.jpg
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I have tried it. If I am being honest, the flavor wasn't bad. But the crust was too spongy and broke apart and is not a substitutde for real pizza.
  • huneydrop
    Options
    I have tried it. If I am being honest, the flavor wasn't bad. But the crust was too spongy and broke apart and is not a substitutde for real pizza.

Try cooking the crust on a pizza stone like in my post above.