Soon to be Dad. Soon to be fit.

Options
Heyyy there.

I am joining to get inspiration from the success of others on their journey. I'm a 28 year old guy from Utah. I joined a gym and am on a 1400 calorie diet. My main objective is to lose 60 lbs. Eventually more, but 60 is the number I am going to work hard non-stop to reach.

So far, working out hasn't been a chore like expected and is actually the best part of my day. I will NOT quit until I have hit my goal!

Cheers!

Replies

• bohlmanwe
    bohlmanwe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good luck sir. That a pretty low goal for calorie intake. Go get it.
  • Ryanedwrds0410
    Options
    Congrats on the kid!!! My wife and I had our first kid back in June. I put on 20lbs while my wife was pregnant, sympathy weight. So that is awesome you are starting early. Having a kid is the best motivation for me and hopefully it becomes the same for you. I personally don't want my kid to look at me and think I am a fat slob and even more I don't want him to pick up on my unhealthy eating habits.
  • skytoads
    Options
    Good luck! That does sound like a relatively low calorie goal. Congratulations on being a dad and feel free to add me for support.
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

When you guys say low, do you think it's unhealthy? I don't want to be unhealthy in the opposite way I am now, so advice would be appreciated.

As far as being able to do it: 5 years ago I was 300lbs. I stuck to a 1400 calorie diet for a year and got to where I am now(230). So I know it is something I can comfortably do. I've been able to stay between 230-240lbs for the last 4 years, but it's time to finish what I started by returning to the diet and making it a lifestyle change this time instead of a "diet". And of course by adding exercise at good ol' Planet Fitness.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being a DAD soon
    get out while u can,
    ha ha
  • TayNLansNGraysDad
    TayNLansNGraysDad Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the child! My goal is similar to yours. Friend request sent!
  • bohlmanwe
    bohlmanwe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Not sure I am one to give advice on this, but I will give my two cents. I would be sure to get enough protein in your diet, I would watch your carb intake while eating clean and I would be sure to include weight lifting into your routine. Lifting weight will help you burn calories throughout the day and obviously help you grow muscle while burning fat. I am currently doing the 5X5 SL program. Easy to follow and I think it works...http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Again just my thought.
  • Liss_Bee
    Liss_Bee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sorry, blah blah blah too low blah blah clean eating blah blaaaaaaah. Just do what works for you. Maybe 1400 calories this day, maybe 1500 another, maybe 2000 another. Please don't let others tell you what to do with your body. Yes I'll take flack for saying it, but it's so true and everyone here who has lost a considerable amount of weight knows this. It is true healthy diet will keep you full longer and is better for you, but it's not what takes the weight off. I can't eat clean, it's just not me. I have junk and I've lost still. Don't fall into a "diet" plan, do what you know you can do for the rest of your life. Just tired of hearing the same stuff over and over....
  • Ruth4111gut
    Ruth4111gut Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the child! feel free to add me for support.
  • CrystalQ222
    CrystalQ222 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the previous weight loss and you can do it. Stay strong...kids make the world go round :)... Enjoy parenthood it goes faster than you think ....
  • hazenson
    hazenson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congratzz on being a dad! Setting a good example is a great start at dad hood, and living a long healthy life will be very important when those kids grow up and need you there. I have 2 daughters and they are both very health concious, probably because I have always worked out and stayed in decent shape. Now Im 50 and Im going for great shape! A good rule of thumb is 2 lbs max a week too loose, a doctor would probably tell you 1lb. Definitly add weight lifting to your cardio. Building muscle burns calories too repair itself. also the more muscle- the more calories your gonna burn. Be strong! Stay strong and good luck!!
    can add me to friends for support too if ya like
  • cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sorry, blah blah blah too low blah blah clean eating blah blaaaaaaah. Just do what works for you. Maybe 1400 calories this day, maybe 1500 another, maybe 2000 another. Please don't let others tell you what to do with your body. Yes I'll take flack for saying it, but it's so true and everyone here who has lost a considerable amount of weight knows this. It is true healthy diet will keep you full longer and is better for you, but it's not what takes the weight off. I can't eat clean, it's just not me. I have junk and I've lost still. Don't fall into a "diet" plan, do what you know you can do for the rest of your life. Just tired of hearing the same stuff over and over....

+1

If it works for you then do it.
  • kncybul
    Options
    I am not an expert. I'm trying to do 1600 calories per day and I think I'm eating too much, and at the end of the day it says I am eating too little.

Congrats on being a dad. I just started. Trying to lose 60. I'm whatcha call "bigboned", so 200 pounds is a really good weight for me.
  • kncybul
    Options

+1

If it works for you then do it.

That's kind of the way I feel. If I feel "full", it's time to stop.