Runners... long run snacks?

Options
I'm somewhat new to running. Up to recently its always been 3-6 mile runs (no snack needed).. now that I'm training for my first half marathon I'm getting up into the 9, 10, 12 mile runs. I've heard its good to have a snack through these long runs to keep energy up. I'm wondering if beef jerky would be ok? or too salty?

As runners, what do you use for a snack, if anything, on your long runs?

Replies

• KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't fuel for less than 12 miles, I just have toast with peanut butter before leaving the house. However during longer runs or races I use sport jelly beans! Easy to chew and easy on the stomach. I hate beef jerky anyway but the thought of smelling that while running just turns my stomach!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Personally for a half I wouldn't bother eating. You need carbs not protein I also would have thought jerky would be a bit chewy to eat on the run. I normally just take Few dates for runs over 13 or 14 or use a a drink like hi5
  • amandalj
    amandalj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use Gu gels for my long runs (for me, anything over 8 miles.) They come on lotsa delicious flavors - I love the vanilla bean and chocolate! It tastes kind of like frosting. They have a bunch of fruity flavors too, if that's your preference.

I tried the gummy "chews", but I hate trying to choke those down while I'm running and trying to remember to breathe :smile:

I'm running another half in May, and I'm thinking about giving the sports beans a try - they don't seem like they would be as difficult to chew.

Not so sure about beef jerky - as much as I love to snack on that, I don't think it would sit well while running.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    When I trained for my first half I just used the same little packages of fruit gummies that I buy for treats for the kids. You know- Dora, Lightening McQueen, Scooby Doo. LOL

During my actual race they offered a Gu Station at Mile 7. I used that from Mile 8 - Mile 10.

Eating properly before the runs seems to benefit me and my abilities more so than fuelling during a run.

Having said that, I'm trying some more things now that I'm training for a full marathon - but that's a different beast all together.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't really need it for a half, but if you do want something, stay away from beef jerky. Protein is not your friend during an endurance run (after is another story). Stick to something with easily available sugars.
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Good to know! thank you all for the input.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love Swedish fish!

My one bit of advice - Whatever you plan on using on race day should be tried out in a training run before hand. You do not want to end up with tummy issues during a race.

Good luck!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Try a variety of things during training runs, but I'd echo the advice that you dont need very much, and a few jelly beans are probably sufficient.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't feel any need for snacks in any distance I've run. Most I've run is half marathon distance, though. For the 26.2 set, I can see how some kind of fuel you can absorb quickly could be great.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I have to fuel after an hour of running and then every half hour after that. I am currently using the guchews. I have to cut them up into smaller pieces though because I am a mouth breather. Trying to chew one of those whole and breathe at the same time isn't gonna happen lol! I also tried sport beans but had the same breathing problem. The guchews start to dissolve in my mouth if they are cut small enough so I don't have to focus so much on chewing and breathing. I will be trying the gugels next.
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I like the honey stinger products. They don't seem to be as sweet as some of the others.

I have heard several people say they use plain old gummie bears, I am going to try this for my next race since it would be much cheaper than buying the other products.

When I first started looking for something to fuel my runs, I bought one package of a bunch of different products to see what worked best for me. Just because I like it doesn't mean you will.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I like these things called 'pro bar' they are like gummy worms or fish, but they taste better and come in all sorts of flavors. I start them around an hour and then every mile just have one. I usually only use a half pack (1.25) for a 10 mile run.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Salt is good during long runs. But you also need simple carbs. Experiment with different stuff- pretzels, sports beans, gels, ect. For better info go to runners world and search this topic. I think they will advise to eat some small thing approximately every 45 minutes that you run.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Fueling during racing and training are two different things. You'll get lot's of runners street cred by not eating too much, but it is worth paying attention to, especially if you are trying to lose weight at the same time. Many of the folks telling others not to eat are in maintenance. Just listen to your body. if you find you are getting uncomfortably hungry during your longer runs, bring along some water and carbs. I like honey stingers as well. Also, 2nd surge is really good, but it does have 100mg of caffeine in it, so you have to be careful with that one. The same company has another gel called accel gel that I like, as well. It has less caffeine. As always, practice with whatever you decide to use before the race. For the half I ran, I estimated I would be running for something a little under two hours, so that worked out to a gel on the start line and 2 out on the course, plus some gatorade. This won't earn me any runners street cred, but I ended with a 1:51 for my first half, so it worked out.

Good luck and have fun!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I ran a 10 mile run and never ate during my training (longest run was 11 miles). I wouldn't think you would need too much for a half.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    To echo what others have said -- you really shouldn't need fuel for a run that is less than about 90 minutes, especially if you eat a little something beforehand. I will sometimes have a piece of toast before a morning run.

If you do feel the need to eat something, a tiny bit of carbs can go a very long way. What you are really giving yourself is more of a psychological boost, so whatever carb you think will do that for you is probably ideal -- a small candy, jelly bean, a GU, a cracker, a strawberry, whatever.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    For my training runs, I run in a park with a 4.5 to 5 mile path. I would keep something small, like an Andes mint in the car, and when I loop around, eat one. The first few long runs I was ravenous but that ended. When I did my half marathon, I took crackers and Jif to Go peanut butter. I didn't eat them until about mile 11 when I thought I was getting dizzy and about to pass out. Turns out, the bridge I was running over swayed and bounced LOL. Apparently I should have read up on the route ahead of time. The second bridge we went over (that did the same thing) is when I figured out what happened. Otherwise, I wouldn't have eaten anything until after the race.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't really need it for a half, but if you do want something, stay away from beef jerky. Protein is not your friend during an endurance run (after is another story). Stick to something with easily available sugars.

this.. regardless of what you eat make sure you do it during a training run and not a race....dont want no unpleasent gastric suprises ;)
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to note that there is a proven performance boost when ingesting carbs (up to 65g/hr) during a race of over an hour or so. There is no NEED to fuel during a half. I could walk out the door right now and run 13 miles and I never bring anything with me in terms of water or food for distances less than 15. Some folks go even farther. But it doesn't seem especially bright to to run a half and deprive oneself of something that will help their performance significantly. This is worth checking out, if you have a real interest in the topic: http://www.amazon.com/The-Rules-Marathon-Half-Marathon-Nutrition/dp/0738216453
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Put me in the camp of not needing to fuel training runs for a half. If you want to take a run or 2 and test what you can tolerate for the race that's a good idea if you plan to race that way.