Eating out tonight! HELP!

Options
Restaurants without nutritional information frustrate me! I have my work christmas party tonight and am trying to plan out what I am having for dinner, but they don't have nutrition info. What would you do?!

It's a standard bar and grill, everything from sandwiches to steaks to salads. I'm thinking of going with like chicken fajitas, but only eating the chicken and veggies, no tortillas or sour cream or anything. What do you think? Any suggestions?

Replies

• kbaily
    Options
    Fish is almost always a good choice; just watch out for sauces. Chilled shrimp has almost no calories, even dipped in cocktail sauce. Add a salad with dressing on the side and maybe a creme brulee for dessert and you should be in pretty good shape.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Just did this the other day. I had Grilled chicken salad with chicken and veggies only with vinegar and oil on the side. Ask the server the portion size of the chicken, that way if it's 6oz you know how much you can eat of it, me 3oz so I could only eat half. Ask for a togo box ahead of time to put the portion of meat in that your not going to eat so that you will not be tempted.Skip the bread as well. Walked out under 400 calories...

If you do decide on fajitas be careful with veggies, usually fajita veggies have been sitting in oil or butter all day, this is an item that is usually prepped in restaurants in the morning.
  • thoward74
    thoward74 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken, steamed veggies or salad with light or balsamic vinegar dressing, and boiled potatoes (if that is a option - or you can have something other than potatoes). Just watch for sauces and condiments as they probably have a lot of sodium - almost ALL food prepared as restaurants have a ton of sodium. Fish (like someone else mention) and almost all seafood are good options as well.
  • midonhau
    midonhau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If the restaurant has a website you could check out their menu online and get an idea of how many calories are in each meal.
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I would suggest broiled haddock or other fish (170 calories & 1.5 g. fat in 5.25 oz.) or shrimp with cocktail sauce (90 calories & 1.5 g. fat in 12 large shrimp)! Both are fantastic options! Just watch out for creamy sauces, and some dipping sauce. Oh! And ask for no butter on the haddock! Enjoy!
  • TristaVan
    TristaVan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I alao love CalorieKing.com. They have way more option then the MFP database. I always check out there if it is not in our database.