Should I sign up for a 5K?

Options
There is a 5K race for St. Pat's day here that I've told myself for the last 4 years (around christmas time) that I WILL run. Well, this year I am possibly approaching actually being able to do it.

I started my own modified version of a C25K 5 weeks ago (more basing my running on distances/10ths of a mile and progressing from there. Timed runs didn't work for me)

I did start with a whopping 10th of a mile as my best :blushing: But, this past Saturday I finally hit that full mile. I didn't have much in me left for intervals after that. And I "run" reallllllly slow (4.5 or 4.6) Tuesday I couldn't quite get that full mile again, and needed to walk a 10th before I could finish it. After that, I managed to run a few more quarter mile intervals.

After that explanation, would it be a total joke if I signed up for that St. Pat's day 5K and continued training as I have been, 3 days a week? I only have 2 weeks. I don't want to make an idiot of myself but I hate to let this goal slide by, you know? I know there are other 5K's in town. I'll tackle those later this year. I just really wanted to finally follow through on this promise to myself.

(I plan to start shooting for 5K distances at the gym starting tonight, to see how I do. And I do realize that treadmill is totally different from street runs)

Replies

• Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    sign up, finish and establish a baseline. then set out to set a new PR at every 5k you do. i'd shoot for 1/month or 1/6 weeks.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    do it. just go out and do your best: run when you can and walk when you have to. this way you can have a feel for what a 5k is like
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    do it. just go out and do your best: run when you can and walk when you have to. this way you can have a feel for what a 5k is like

Exactly what I was going to say. Even if you don't train up to the full distance, you might be surprised what the energy of an event can do for you. And if you have to walk some of it, guarantee you won't be the only one.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Just do it-- if you have a race scheduled, it helps with motivation and you will do fine =)
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Go for it. and just keep training at the pace you are now. This will be first your 1st 5K, but not your last. Just look at it as your trail run to see what it is like. You won't make an idiot of yourself. Lots of people walk the 5K so you will hardly come in last. You'll love the camaraderie and the adrenaline rush you get at the starting line and during the race. Good luck!
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    YES! Sign up!!! No one says you have to run the entire thing. The only bar that you have to reach is the bar you set for yourself.

Run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute. check out this link: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/

You will have so much fun, you'll get a cool shirt, take some neat pictures and have the satisfaction of knowing you went out of your comfort zone and DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Sort answer, yes you should.

If you want to do it, do it. Do your best and have fun. Nobody is going to judge you and nobody cares if you run at a 10 minute pace or jog at a 4.0. The point is you are doing something for you.

Last year I did my first race and was in the middle of a C25K (for the record I am doing it all over again after a lapse) and I just ran as much as I could and walked when I needed to. There was a woman who was in front of me and kinda in the same place and we ended up running it together.

You need to do it.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Lots of people walk all or part of a race. I once was passed by a runner who kept doing a sprint-walk sequence. So yes go for it!
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Doing my first 5k later this year. One of the Warrior Dash things, so obstacles. Partially doing it just so I have a dead line to make me do it.
  • 3rdwoozie5
    3rdwoozie5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    5k runs are so much fun. You actually get to run with other people that are there for the same cause. Instead of plodding miles by yourself. Lots of people I know dress up in costume and have fun with it.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I wasnt clear are you still doing intervels? or just running up to a mile and then losing energy?

If its the latter let me suggest this to you...keep doing what your doing,,,adding a little bit each time..but when you hit that limit...walk the rest till you hit 5k.

You can tell yourself that youve been the distance! and then its just a matter of eating that distance with more running over time.

Unless you think you would injure yourself by doing the race,,,i see no reason not to do it.
  • beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Super! This was exactly the encouragement I needed. Thanks all! My husband is doing it with me as well, but since he's far ahead of me in training I want him to leave me behind and do his personal best. I'll find him at the end somewhere.

Also, I meant to ask, is it normal to feel like your runs fluctuate quite a bit? For example, I was SUPER proud and pleased the first time I managed a half mile but it took me two more runs to be able to get it in one shot again. I am pleased to say that a half mile isn't difficult now, but I wonder why on earth I do better other times.
  • beckty
    Options
    I wasnt clear are you still doing intervels? or just running up to a mile and then losing energy?

If its the latter let me suggest this to you...keep doing what your doing,,,adding a little bit each time..but when you hit that limit...walk the rest till you hit 5k.

You can tell yourself that youve been the distance! and then its just a matter of eating that distance with more running over time.

Unless you think you would injure yourself by doing the race,,,i see no reason not to do it.

I am still doing intervals, but trying to make them longer and start stringing some distance together. I did run a straight mile, and really I didn't keep on because of some wicked abdominal cramps. After that, I was pretty worn out, but did manage a few more intervals. You are saying push as far as I can, and then after I am done, don't mess with any more intervals? I actually thought about that myself. Because once I stop (even briefly) getting going again is WAY harder than that first longer interval.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I say go for it and just jog/walk the whole thing, don't try to run. slow down to a walk when you need to get your breath and then jog again as much as you can. There were lots of people walking at the ones I have done and some people even walked the whole thing. It's usually for a charity and fun anyway, not like it's an olympic event where you are competing.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Super! This was exactly the encouragement I needed. Thanks all! My husband is doing it with me as well, but since he's far ahead of me in training I want him to leave me behind and do his personal best. I'll find him at the end somewhere.

Also, I meant to ask, is it normal to feel like your runs fluctuate quite a bit? For example, I was SUPER proud and pleased the first time I managed a half mile but it took me two more runs to be able to get it in one shot again. I am pleased to say that a half mile isn't difficult now, but I wonder why on earth I do better other times.

Definitely normal, some days your legs are "fresh" and you are energetic, other days they aren't. Just keep pushing and you will get results.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yep, do it! Good motivation to keep up with the program :)
  • beckty
    Options
    I say go for it and just jog/walk the whole thing, don't try to run. slow down to a walk when you need to get your breath and then jog again as much as you can. There were lots of people walking at the ones I have done and some people even walked the whole thing. It's usually for a charity and fun anyway, not like it's an olympic event where you are competing.

About two weeks ago, I noticed a girl next to me was moving along at a nice steady pace for quite a while. I snuck a peek at her speed and low and behold! She was "only" doing 4.5. I am a short girl and VERY out of shape and here I was thinking I had to be running more like 5.2. As soon as I slowed down, I was able to get some distance. I figure I can work on the speed and improving my time...but later! not now.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options

I'm pretty new to running like you and notice I also have running fluctuations. I realized that my fluctuations are due to what I have or usually haven't eaten prior to running/working out. Now I try and do a mental check of what I ate about 2 hours before I go to work out. Sometimes I'm good and sometimes I have a small snack before.
  • moosegt35
    Options

About two weeks ago, I noticed a girl next to me was moving along at a nice steady pace for quite a while. I snuck a peek at her speed and low and behold! She was "only" doing 4.5. I am a short girl and VERY out of shape and here I was thinking I had to be running more like 5.2. As soon as I slowed down, I was able to get some distance. I figure I can work on the speed and improving my time...but later! not now.

speed will come with endurance, you want endurance first. Better to be able to jog the 3 miles than run 1 mile.
  • moosegt35
    Options

I'm pretty new to running like you and notice I also have running fluctuations. I realized that my fluctuations are due to what I have or usually haven't eaten prior to running/working out. Now I try and do a mental check of what I ate about 2 hours before I go to work out. Sometimes I'm good and sometimes I have a small snack before.

Nothing wrong with a small snack before a workout, just make sure it's something light that won't hurt upset your stomach and avoid dairy products like milk. Milk will make you short of breath.