going to bed hungry

Options
So when I go to bed hungry (under calories for the day) am I burning more fat because there isn't anything in my belly to process and use or am I lowering my metabolism because I'm not having to process anything? Anyone have any long term experience with this? I definetely want to burn fat and I can't afford to slow my metabolism anymore than it is!

Replies

• Amarea
    Amarea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I can't really give you an answer to your question, but I know that I won't go to bed hungry either, at least not truly physically hungry. My mind is another thing entirely. If I feel hungry to the point of distraction before bed I have a cup of cucumbers and a sugar free jello. I wouldn't have thought that would help, but the cucumbers take a while to eat and it makes me feel better in general. Just thought I'd share :)
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I go to bed slightly hungry. I eat my last meal of the day about 3 hours before bedtime. Your body is burning calories 24/7 and either gets them from what's in your stomach or what's been stored as fat.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I don't think going to bed hungry is a problem at all - I tend to do much better (all around) when I don't eat within 2-3 hours before bed - and I'm starting to feel hungry again. I feel like crap the day after I go to bed after eating late - I wake up with a rock in my belly and I feel tired and grumpy and full. But - I don't think it's good to be under calories for the day - at least not consistently. Try to eat enough calories earlier in the day so you don't have to eat them late. JMO
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options
    I wanted to know that as well, thanks for asking. :wink:
  • Hibpshman1
    Options
    I've found that I really only get hungry at night if I stay up too late. It has been said that the best sleep is the sleep you get before midnight. When I go to bed on time I never really get that "need another meal" type hunger that I get if I'm up really late.
    Also, if I didn't get enough nutrient dense foods during the day and ate junk food, fast food, etc. I find myself getting hungry at night. If I've loaded up on nutrient rich greens, fruits and whole grains I'm very satisfied at the end of the day.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm not usually under my calories. My goal is set where it is because that's what helps me to lose weight. Being under is actually counterproductive for me, it just makes my body store more fat instead of burning it. You really do need to eat in order to lose weight! That said, I do like to eat mainly carbs at dinner because they burn up quickly. I'll eat 2-3 hours before bed and in that time the carbs will have burned up, but I don't end up being hungry at bedtime. That way I can actually get to sleep easily but my body burns more fat at night.
  • MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    Options
    Yeah l agree with most of the other reply's, going to bed slightly hungry is best, your stomach slows down so much when you sleep the food just kinda sits there and makes you feel worse in the morning.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    When you sleep you go into a catabolic state, which means your body can cannibalize muscles for energy. This is especially problematic if you are trying to retain muscle. I try and eat some cottage cheese before bed. The casein protein is slow burning, thus possibly lessening the cannibalizing. The myth of eating right before bed adversely affecting your metabolism is pretty much been dispelled.
  • tishglos
    tishglos Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't think going to bed hungry is a problem at all - I tend to do much better (all around) when I don't eat within 2-3 hours before bed - and I'm starting to feel hungry again. I feel like crap the day after I go to bed after eating late - I wake up with a rock in my belly and I feel tired and grumpy and full. But - I don't think it's good to be under calories for the day - at least not consistently. Try to eat enough calories earlier in the day so you don't have to eat them late. JMO

Same here.
    I can feel the difference when i go to bed after eating dinner. I feel more sluggish in the morning and I still feel 'full' so I end up not eating breakfast which throws off the eating times of my day. Having those general times when I eat my lunch, snack, and dinner help to keep me track...when it's off, I get restless and I'm more open to eating foods that blow my calories out of proportion.

I try to eat 2-3 hours before bed time but if I do get hungry, I have a rice cake (w/ cup of water) or a cup of tea which fills me up. I do suggest in your case hibpshman that you load up on the more nutrient rich foods closer to dinner time that way you feel more sated.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My mom has always said that if your stomach is growling it means you are losing weight....that sounds good to me! LOL I have a problem with late night eating, especially because I do stay up really late, Lately I have been trying to avoid eating after my last snack but sometimes it is so hard, it's one of my biggest issues. I'm fine all day then night comes and I want to eat. If only I would go to bed at a decent hour and be able to stay asleep.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Well, in order to be successful in this weight loss journey I found that I went to bed hungry and was hungry at many times during the day but I simply didn't have enough calories in my plan to keep from being hungry.

I rather wonder if I will be successful at maintenance because sometimes I tire of feeling hungry all the time.

Sorry if this sounds a little bummed. I am close to my revised goal weight but stuck at the moment no matter what I seem to try. I am at the weight I originally thought would be good enough for a goal but I still don't like the way I look, nor do I like my BF%.

Oh well, never give up.
  • rymattsmom
    rymattsmom Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    my philosophy is is if i am truely hungry, stomach growling, etc., i am not going to deprive myself of food. generally if i am hungry at night i will pour myself a bowl of chocolate cheerios with skim milk and that does the trick! i think that if your stomach is trying to send u a signal, listen to it. now if its your mind, then that is another whole ball game. don't deprive your body when it wants food, that is the worst thing you can do, sending your body into starvation mode, and your metabolism will slow down, your body will store fat to help you and you eventually are the loser (not in a good sense, you don't lose wt).
  • MISTTIMG
    Options
    I don't recommend putting your body in starvation mode but You Will loose weight if that should happen, There is some merit in jump starting your weight loss burn if you flip flop on your calorie intake a day or two to "fool" your metabolism into thinking everything is cool no need to store fat, I'm eating anything I want too...but if your body is Really in starvation mode you would loose weight. Case in point; " I live in Kenya and I don't have enough to eat, I go to bed hungry every night, my body is not much more than bones with skin wrapped around it, I know if I had more to eat I would gain weight"
  • Lizzybluts
    Lizzybluts Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Going to bed hungry isn't the problem, though I don't think it's a good idea if you are below your calories. As a manager of a very successful weight loss center for over 7 years (5 yrs ago) the hardest belief to change was our mindset that if we take in LESS calories than we will lose MORE weight and that is just not true.

In fact, it causes your metabolism to slow down and burn less calories. If you are suppose to eat 1300 calories you NEED to eat 1300 calories and I promise you, you will lose weight faster. There is so much research that has been done on this it is easy to google and read the supporting evidence. That means if you are exercising, you need to allot for those extra calories by adjusting the amount you are taking in by adding more calories. This program figures your calories with regards to the amount of exercising you are doing.

It is a best practice to eat 3 hours before going to sleep but if you are below the calories suggested for you to eat, EAT THEM before going to bed. I promise you, you will lose weight at a faster, safer rate and not mess up the marvelous metabolism our bodies are built with.

Good luck!! :wink:
  • MISTTIMG
    Options
    Did anyone read about Christian Bale dropping from 173 pounds to 110 pounds by eating one apple and one can of tuna per day? It was extreme of course, but he lost weight at mega speed for the movie "the Machinist" He was monitored by a doctor, this type of speedy weight loss by starvation mode is Not recommended. This is the main reason weight loss center's, weight loss online calorie counter's, will recommend eating all allowed calories, as well as exercise earned calories, they want to avoid any law suits that could occur from health risks by eating too little food.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    This is not really on subject but it made me think... I have trained my stomach to digest while biking, otherwise when I spend 10 hours on a bike in one day, there's no way I could eat enough to power me through it. So if I have trained my stomach to digest in that situation, when most people would cramp up, is my stomach able to digest better at night? I eat right before bed sometimes and as long as I don''t stuff myself to the painful point, I sleep fine and I don't wake up with a rock in my stomach.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I am usually always hungry by the time I go to bed. I dont really think it makes a difference whether you go to bed hungry or not....you will probably burn about the same amount of calories! If you do feel like you need to eat something before bed eat a bowl of cereal. Fiber Plus is really good and very filling.
  • amysambora
    Options
    I am usually a little hungry before going to bed, because I don't let myself eat after 7pm. It may not work for everyone but it definitely works for me!
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    To be honest I perfer to be under. I also try to hold off eating as long as I can all day. I refuse to eat breakfest. Once I get back in the gym I might start eating lunch. This works for me.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    When you sleep you go into a catabolic state, which means your body can cannibalize muscles for energy. This is especially problematic if you are trying to retain muscle. I try and eat some cottage cheese before bed. The casein protein is slow burning, thus possibly lessening the cannibalizing. The myth of eating right before bed adversely affecting your metabolism is pretty much been dispelled.

I have 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese, 1 cup skim milk, and 1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter about 30-60min before I go to bed. It's okay to eat before you go to bed. Just don't fill up on junk.