SAD and HappyLite

Options
If you are reading this, you may be experiencing the "winter blues" like I am. While I not trying to make excuses for myself, I know precisely why I have gained 25 pounds since October. I eat junk (and a lot of it and don't exercise like I should!) However, I feel like my terrible moods and lack of energy must be related to seasonal affective disorder. I have all the symptoms and have self diagnosed myself. I have moved into a townhouse after living in the country for 17 years and find myself with windows closed and in a "hibernated" state with little outside connection. The winter has been awful with no signs of improvement soon.

I will add Vitamin D to my regimen and have purchased a Verilux HappyLite Deluxe Sunshine Simulator that will be here tomorrow. I hope this will help motivate me. I am normally an avid exerciser and very conscious of my eating, yet have turned into a slug who feels yucky all the time! I am a teacher and usually love my job but have been feeling very frustrated and unhappy lately.

Anyone else?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Watching the forecast every day makes me so freaking depressed. It's definitely hard to make myself get moving when I just want to say under the covers till it's warm out again!
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I was actually talking about this yesterday, I'm sure I have SAD, I notice a huge difference for me especially from January to March when it's cold, snowy and grey I'm generally down, feel more stressed, want to stay inside and hibernate but can't...but I also know getting out and seeing people makes me feel better, even though it's the last thing I want to do.
    I haven't tried taken Vitamin D yet, I bought some so I'm going to give it a try. Apparently it works for some but not all. Let me know how the lighting works, are those expensive? It's definitely worth a shot. :)
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with SAD many years ago, my parents bought me a lamp for it just when I was diagnosed (I was very young), but I don't have it anymore. I've been getting through this winter ok, since I didn't have any "triggers" to make me depressed, but last year was really really bad, and I plan to take all measures to never feel like that again - will buy a new lamp, and take vit D supplements (I'm 100% sure I'm very deficient, everyone in my country is from oct-march, but I only have 97% bone density even though I consume huge amounts of calcium, so it must be the vit D that's lacking), and eat way more fish + fish oil supplements, and consult my doctor (especially seeing as I don't have the same doctor now as the one who diagnosed me)

And of course, do general things to keep you up and going, air out your home, let the light in, exercise, see people, get up and out of your pyjamas early, eat delicious and healthy meals, do things you enjoy, keep going, keep going, keep going: never let yourself slump!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I supplement vitamin D and use a HappyLight.

I know that a lot of people discount Dr. Oz, but he does occasionally have decent piece of advice. He said that the most effective time to use the HappyLight is right after you get up. When I started doing that I did feel that perhaps it was more effective than just using it willy-nilly during the day or night. 20 minutes while you are having coffee or reading the paper or computer while you are waking up should do it if it is going to work for you.

Good luck. This winter is really rough. Lots of cold and dark days lasting way too long into when it should be a lot warmer.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I use a light therapy box. After I walk to work I have it on on my desk for the required time (time is affected by the light intensity). I find it very effective at raising my spirits and giving me a much needed boost.

I haven't tried vitamin D yet but there are more doctors suggesting it should be taken at 10 MCG a day for everyone in the UK so I have been considering it recently.

EDIT - What vitamin D does everyone take?
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Lithium :)
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    I have it also. Vitamin D-3 is best. I take 6,000 I.Us a day. more on bad days. The more sunshine the better.
  • didislim
    Options
    Hi there!! Oh I am so glad you brought this up. I have been wondering for years if I have SAD as well. I know I have a very low Vit D level. everytime I go to the doctor she has me taking supplements. Very high doses. which I really should be more compliant with. Is there a correlation between SAD and low levels of vit D?
    I mean in winter I gain large amount of weight, 35 pounds since october, horrid! I know....working on it now. I feel depressed hate going out, avoid people, don't want to get out of bed. Could vitamin D help in someway? I hope this question doesn't sound stupid.

I am just curious...thanks
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I hear you, it seems to be the never ending winter.

Our winter, so far, is in the top 10 worst (and climbing) since they have been keeping records in the early 1800's. Pretty much as bad as anyone here has ever experienced in their lifetime, and it is far from over.

At least the hours of daylight are getting longer and it is only 3 more weeks until Spring officially arrives. Hope springs eternal!

Hang in there everyone. It can not get much worse.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    This is the first year since probably high school that SAD hasn't completely kicked my butt. I typically wait until January, when it's the worst, to start trying to mitigate the symptoms (dumb, I know, especially since it happens every year), but this year I actually put together a formal treatment plan and started on it about a month before the time change. I use my light box religiously once a day (twice a day when the days were shortest), take a Vitamin D supplement, spend at least 15 minutes a day outside in the sun, and started sleeping with my blinds partially open to get light in my room as early as possible. I think being in a bulk phase has also really helped, since not eating enough seems to exacerbate my symptoms. I personally hate the acronym SAD, since it seems so little and cute, but in reality it can be really serious.

There's some evidence that suggests Vitamin D can help, but nothing definitive yet. The overall recommendation seems to be that they don't know for sure if it helps alleviate SAD, so unless it's otherwise contraindicated, taking a supplement couldn't hurt.
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've been using a light box for SAD for a while now, and it really makes a big difference in my energy levels. I use it almost every morning, but I also use it some afternoons if I feel the need for a pick-me-up.
  • amberfranklin1
    amberfranklin1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that so many here can relate, it makes me feel better (not that anyone else is suffering, but that I'm not crazy!) I cant wait to get my light tomorrow and plan to force myself to work out in the morning while using it. I used to be very strict with my workouts knowing how much better I feel with exercise, but have found myself constantly making excuses not to. And my weight gain is due to my constant binging. I cannot eat just one or two cookies. If I put one in my mouth I want another, next thing I know I've inhaled 6 or 7 like I cannot control myself! Last night I had cake and ice cream for my daughters birthday and was not satisfied with that. I had another round (thats just insane!) It's almost like I can't get enough junk to make me feel better.

I just want to wake up and feel good again. I know the weight gain has made me feel so sluggish and self conscious and my skin has broken out worse than ever, so my self esteem is not great. My moods have to get better, as I have very little patience and just get through each day going through the motions because I can't just stay home and hide!

I paid $150 for my light on Amazon and hope it was worth it. (I paid extra for overnight shipping because we are in for another round of snow and winter weather and figured if I'm snowed in, it might prevent me from eating everything in sight!
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Have you tried skiing or sledding or any other winter sport? I found that getting out of the house and playing outside. Actually playing has really helped me, and I moved from FLORIDA to CANADA 4 years ago, so that was a HUGE shock for my body.

Try getting some outdoor fun times on sunny days. Even if its just bundle up to go for a walk or have a snowball fight. TOTALLY WORTH IT in terms of not being SAD.
  • amberfranklin1
    amberfranklin1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to report that I used the Happy Light through the weekend during the last blast of winter weather (I hope its the last!) I felt so much more energetic and not like the slug I have been for months. I made a cake (we were expecting big weather! we have to have cake, right?) and didn't even really want any of it last night (normally it would be all I could think about!) Even my husband, who is usually skeptical, said that I looked like I felt better and seemed much more upbeat. I also used some Banana Boat sunless tanner which helped me to even have a bit of a glow.

So... I would recommend!
  • huneydrop
    huneydrop Posts: 84
    Options
    I have a blue light and use it Jan - about now (March) and I find it helps. I think I am okay until January because I am looking forward to Christmas but then come January it is just dark and cold and nothing to look forward to..........
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I take Saint Johns Wort for my SAD.
    IF you are on the pill this is not an option for you.