Running vs. Walking

Options
So, my husband and I got in a little disagreement about the calories burned when walking vs. running. Well, darn, he was right. You do burn more calories running, unless you are walking at 5mph or faster. I read a thread about this a long time ago, but thought I should post it, since I was POSITIVE that I was right....

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html

What's the Burn? A Calorie Calculator
You can use the formulas below to determine your calorie-burn while running and walking. The "Net Calorie Burn" measures calories burned, minus basal metabolism. Scientists consider this the best way to evaluate the actual calorie-burn of any exercise. The walking formulas apply to speeds of 3 to 4 mph. At 5 mph and faster, walking burns more calories than running.

Your Net Calorie Burn/Mile

Running - .63 x your weight
Walking - .30 x your weight

Adapted from "Energy Expenditure of Walking and Running," Medicine & Science in Sport & Exercise, Cameron et al, Dec. 2004.

Replies

• alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    This is what I think I know about this: *lol*

If you keep the distance the same, you burn about a fixed amount of energy while covering that distance but the speed doesn't really matter (walking, jogging, running), although you migh have more after burn effect if you run, It just takes different amount of time.

If you compare running and walkin with the exercise lasting the same time, running burns a lot more and the covered distance is different.

Well.. It's pretty much what you learn in school.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Sorry you were wrong... don't you just hate it when the hubby is right?

This is a common debate though. Simply, you burn more calories running because your heart rate is elevated.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster... distance requires about the same amount of energy the variation is the time it takes to get there. I think I recall reading somewhere that the "average" person (whatever that is) burns about 100 calories per mile - regardless of if it takes said average person 5 minutes to complete it or 20.
  • hiltonheadagain
    Options
    I have to say I've never seen a chubby runner, but lots of chubby walkers. ; )
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    When you are walking, you will burn the same calories/mile regardless of speed.

The same holds true for running. However, walking vs running, you will burn more calories per mile running than walking.

At some point, yes walking can burn a higher rate of calories than running, but that speed changes with the individual-it's not a fixed speed. BTW, that requires a speed/movement more like racewalking, that is a specialized activity.
  • dobergfell
    Options
    I have to say I've never seen a chubby runner, but lots of chubby walkers. ; )

Well said. :)

Just a personal observation, but I can walk a mile without it really taxing me. I know I burn calories walking, but it can't possibly compare to the "I should die now" burn I get from running a mile.