Advice on DVDs for beginners

Options
HI there! I'm new to this site and am looking for some advice on beginner exercise DVDs. I have done a few Zumba classes and back in the day, I did Tae Bo (sp?) but need something new to get me motivated. I have lost almost 10lbs since the middle of October and have about 20 more to go. I think I need to add exercise to my plan now. I walk a lot at work but it's not considered exercise since I do it all the time.

I am trying to decide on getting the Zumba "game" for the Wii or getting Jillian Michaels' DVDs.

Any thoughts on either? I'm 5' 3", 156lbs.

Thanks for the advice!

3099126.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• whalenmich7295
    whalenmich7295 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you can find a modestly priced set, I would look into the P90X Workout.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P90X

I tried it once, and it kicked my butt!
  • LisaB39
    Options
    Thanks! My son really wants the P90X, too. I hate to put the money out because I know myself too well....lol :blushing:

3099126.png
  • Alexis2255
    Options
    Gaiam...I think that's how it's spelled, has a Pilates for beginners DVD. It's great! I used that and the intermediate one a few years ago and loved it!
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Check with your local library that way you can try it before you buy it.

I like our library because we can check out for 3 weeks and I'm ready for something new by then anyway.

I wish you the best.

- Eva
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about difficulty, Power 90 is a less intense workout also by Tony Horton. Beachbody also offers several other programs with different trainers like Slim in 6 or Turbo Jam which might suit you better. Good luck :)
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i just got the Jillian Michales "No More Trouble Zones" DVD and it is defiantly one hell of a workout. But its not crazy intense like P90X would be. I think it is a great beginner DVD. It consists of a 5 minute light cardio warm up, then 40 minutes broken into 7 six minute circuits, then a 5 minute cool down/stretch. I can defiantly feel it in my muscles and i was sweating like crazy ha ha.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Do you have On Demand with your cable? They have a lot of free exercise videos and you can see what you like. They don't stay forever and some are a shortened version, but good to try out or mix things up when you get bored. Level 1 of Jillian's 30 Day Shred is on there now.
  • LisaB39
    Options
    Great! Thank you for all the input! I'll let you know what works!

3099126.png
  • mfreeman00
    Options
    There is a website, www.collagevideo.com, that you can view a short preview of TONS of exercise videos. I find this really helpful to see if it is something that looks like I'll enjoy before I spend the money on the DVD. Also, a great calorie burner you can do with minimal space at home and not a ton of money spent on equipment is step aerobics. Good luck!
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Here's a sight with lots of different free workouts. You can pick and choose all kinds.

http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/
  • BoresEasily
    Options

*Looks at title and looks at your post* REALLY????
  • denis0313
    Options

I totally agree. If your gonna spend the money it's a solid investment! And it works!!!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    If you have a wii get Netflix! Its so awesome because it streams instantly to the wii and bam: Tons of fitness dvds right there for you to use! There are dance ones, yoga, kickboxing, pilates...you name it! All for $8.99 a month! I highly recommend it! :o)

I also recommend the Zumba dvds through their website or amazon...the dvds are so much fun! All different lengths of time and different varieties. Keeps me busy and having fun! :o)
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    You know who P90x is designed for right? She specifically posted beginner. P90x is the furthest thing from a beginner DVD. That's like telling a person that's never done any kind of steady-state cardio to go and run wind sprints or true TABATA.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being a **** but what you're advising a beginner for a workout is really dangerous.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Tara gave some great suggestions. Let me offer a couple of others. The library is a great place for videos or can be depending on where you live. Also Craigslist always has good deals on exercise videos and things like that.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    leslie sansome has alot of beginner walking dvds that are good workouts and easy. also you can find workouts on youtube, exercisetv, and netflix. I hope this helps
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    I love Leslie Sansone Walk at Home dvds. I know you said you walk alot at work, but these are good, plus there are moves that you don't do in a normal walk. I've lost 13 lbs using her dvds. Youtube, and exercisetv.com also are great for introducing you to a new routine.
  • LisaB39
    Options
    Sorry, I was away for awhile. Thank you for the replies. I agree that PX90 is too much for me. We used to have Netflix and might try it again.

Thanks again!

3099126.png