training for my first 5K

Options
Hello all. Im whitney and Im training for my FIRST 5K, the Graffiti run in April, Ive neve been good at cardio or running.ever. I lost alot of weight by Just cutting portions and cutting a lot of snacking out. highest weight was 176 and Im about 140 now @ 5' 3". So I got a gym membership with the boyfriend- We decided 3 times a week tue/thur/sunday but Ive been going some other days and before work as well...Although Im not a "hard core" work out person. I have been doing a warm up (5 min) on the tredmill, then I stretch, then I lift weights (free weights, machines, ect) for back, legs, shoulders ect, then hit the tredmill again and do about a mile. then cool down by walking the track twice. Any ideas on a different work out plan or excersises or anything to increase endurance and muscle for the 5K
Thanks ahead of time.
Whitney-

Replies

• jeneferphillips89
    Options
    Have you looked into the C25k program? I'm not sure when your 5k is but the program is designed to train you to run a 5k in 9 weeks. I'm doing it now and running more than I ever thought possible! Good luck and congrats on signing up for your 1st 5k!

Ok, I just looked and saw the 5k is in April. You could at least get a kick start with the program
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It sounds like what you're doing is a great program. Just remember that a 5k is only about 3 miles which is nothing! Don't let it intimidate you :)

I would just work on trying to do the treadmill for longer, don't worry about running at a fast pace because that will wipe you out too quickly. Jog at a comfortable slow speed and you will see your endurance increase.
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    No I havnt heard of it. what all does it include or have you do?
  • whitneyps7
    Options
    ok great thanks. and I know its only 3 miles but I have never ran that far at a consistant pace anyways! thanks Ill remember to keep it slow and comfortable for a longer period
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    There are a few ways to go about it. What is your goal time? I'm going to guess 30 minutes, because that is an often chosen goal. Adjust below if you have a different goal.

Every time you train:
    1. Go 3.1 miles. Aim to reduce your time every workout.
    2. Go for 30 minutes. Aim to increase your distance/speed each time.
    3. Run at the speed you would need to hit your goal time for as long as possible. In this case 6mph(ish). Aim to increase your time/distance at that speed every workout.

I do number 1 mostly, because its easier to do outside and that is where I like to run, but I've done 3 several times, because that is easiest to do on the treadmill.

You could also do C25k program starting several weeks in since you can already run a mile. ETA: C25k is an app that tells you to run for certain amounts of time then walk for a certain amount of time, ramping up until you are running for 30 minutes straight at the end. You can play music with the app too. I would suggest the zombies!Run C25k for fun, but it does cost money whereas the other one is free.

Good luck!
  • jeneferphillips89
    Options
    No I havnt heard of it. what all does it include or have you do?

It does running and brisk walking intervals. You run 3 days a week and after 9 weeks your ready for a 5k. As one of the other posters said, since you can already run a mile you could start a little further in the program. It's available in the apple and android markets
  • whitneyps7
    Options
    great thank you guys ! I work out about an hour but not the whole time is on the tredmill I am planning on alternanting once it gets nicer here in CO to running outside as well as on the tredmill so theres that forward pushing going on with running outside
  • sunnykb
    sunnykb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I recently ran 3 miles non-stop on a treadmill for the first time ever. What works for me is to run at a slow steady pace. I usually run at 4.5 mph for 40 minutes.
  • whitneyps7
    Options
    I recently ran 3 miles non-stop on a treadmill for the first time ever. What works for me is to run at a slow steady pace. I usually run at 4.5 mph for 40 minutes.
    thanks!! good job Im trying to do the same Ill try the 4.5 tonight and see how it goes....anyone elses legs ever feel like they ae going to give out though?
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    your a new runner, 1st race-the last thing you should be worrying about is your pace/speed/time.
    Just focus on finishing at a pace that is good for YOU-that will give you a good starting point for your next race if you decide to continue and make personal goals. Not every runner is competitive. Doesn't make them less of a runner.
  • whitneyps7
    Options
    your a new runner, 1st race-the last thing you should be worrying about is your pace/speed/time.
    Just focus on finishing at a pace that is good for YOU-that will give you a good starting point for your next race if you decide to continue and make personal goals. Not every runner is competitive. Doesn't make them less of a runner.

Im not really competitive at all. A few friends are doing the tough mudder and are all super competitive but im kinda whatever about it all, I just dont want to not be able to finish or be walking the whole time. thank you though you are right I should just be focused on doing it at all not what my pace/speed/time is so thanks I will keep that in mind for the workout tonight