Salad Dressing

Options
I generally go to the grocery store near my work and get a salad at lunch but I'm never really sure what dressing would be the healthiest. They usually have about 10 different kinds to choose from but they are possibly home made and there is no nutritional information on them.

I've never been a big salad eater, what type(s) of dressing would generally be the most healthy or contain the fewest calories?

Replies

• JoanneC1216
    Options
    What do you enjoy? Just find a light version of it.

I started eating more salads when I added light blue cheese dressing. I absolutely love it. I don't add more than a serving size (2tbsp) but it seems to be enough.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

I started eating more salads when I added light blue cheese dressing. I absolutely love it. I don't add more than a serving size (2tbsp) but it seems to be enough.
    They don't really have light versions I don't think. I generally like Italian, ranch or Caesar but am open to trying some new ones.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I make my own salads for lunch. Depending on what I have available, they'll be some combination of kale, spinach, collard greens or dandelions in place of lettuce. Then a cup or two (each) of snow pea pods, carrots, bell peppers, grapes, tomatoes and other fruits. They seem to be a lot more flavorful than store bought salads.

For salad dressing I usually stick to balsamic vinaigrette which is fairly low in calories.
  • JoanneC1216
    Options

They don't really have light versions I don't think. I generally like Italian, ranch or Caesar but am open to trying some new ones.

If you're looking for less calories, Italian may be the way to go then.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I would maybe go online and check the nutrition or ask at the deli counter, they should have that information.

I find that the balsamic or Italian ones are usually more of a cream base and are higher calorie then you would think.

You could also buy or make your own dressing for your salads.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I would maybe go online and check the nutrition or ask at the deli counter, they should have that information.

I find that the balsamic or Italian ones are usually more of a cream base and are higher calorie then you would think.

Maybe some are, but the Bolthouse Farms balsamic I put on today's salad was only 30 calories for 2 tbsp.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Easiest and near healthiest for me is to whiz up white wine/rice vinegar with a couple dates. Sweet and tangy. You can always add spices if you like, but this is tops for me.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    if you go with a vinagarette type I would just use an entry for a brand name one - there can't be that much calorie difference between a homemade vinegarette and a brand name one? I could be wrong though :ohwell:

Or you could bring a small container of your own then you know exactly what your or having
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Eat whichever dressing you like as long as you measure it out and log the calories,

That being said, I typically go for dressings that will only add 40-80 calories total to my salads. I like to add calories with add-ins like craisins, almonds, and feta cheese rather than dressing.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options

Maybe some are, but the Bolthouse Farms balsamic I put on today's salad was only 30 calories for 2 tbsp.

Yes, it depends on the brand and type. At home I usually use basic oil and vinegar, but I find when in restaurants and in packets from the grocery store when you ask for balsamic or Italian they look creamy as opposed to homemade versions. Which is different from the Bolthouse ones since they are made to be a healthy option. A 1.5 oz serving of balsamic vinaigrette (kraft) is 120 calories or 90 calories for 2 tbsp., Italian is similar. Even mine that I buy with no added sugar (I don't like sweet dressing) is 70 cal/serving.
  • sarabella970
    Options
    I've been making my own...(the regular ranch has 14 grams of fat & the fat free is gross) I use plain greek yogurt and ranch powder, dill and chives...
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I make my own. 1 cup fat free Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup 1% milk, 1 packet Hidden Valley Dill Dip mix.

My problem is that I am a SALAD DROWNER. I eat 1/4 cup of dressing on my salads minimum. With this recipe, the 1/4 cup is only like 45-50 calories. It's also very tasty!
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Vinegarettes would be lowest I would think, but please please watch your teeth.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I usually eat salad without.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Balsamic or just Olive Oil/Red Vinegar.

Bring your own dressing :)
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    Eat whichever dressing you like as long as you measure it out and log the calories,

That being said, I typically go for dressings that will only add 40-80 calories total to my salads. I like to add calories with add-ins like craisins, almonds, and feta cheese rather than dressing.

Cool thanks all. I haven't logged calories in a long time, basically just been maintaining. Really I'm just trying to make healthy choices and figure which type of dressing might be best when I need to go pick up lunch or go out to eat. I'll try to stick with Italian or balsamic.
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    Vinegarettes would be lowest I would think, but please please watch your teeth.
    Watch my teeth? Vinaigrette is bad for teeth?
  • jenchamb1
    jenchamb1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The bolthouse dressings really are great, they are yogurt based.
    The only "light" dressing that doesn't have a weird taste, to my family at least, is the Hidden Valley Ranch brand.
    Oh, and fat free Panera poppy dressing is good, but I know some people don't care for it. I like it in a coleslaw type salad.
  • jazchlo
    jazchlo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump