Hypothyroidism?

Options
2»

Replies

• bethannhayes13
    Options
    I just got my blood drawn today to check for this. In addition to the fatigue, low mood, insomnia, low basal body temperature, inability to lose weight and difficulty maintaining current weight, I also discovered that I was not ovulating which is also linked to hypothyroidism. I am a personal trainer and I will tell you that sometimes in the beginning of a program the weight and inches do not come off as noticeably as we would like. Even though you are experiencing all of these symptoms, keep up the hard work. You are developing a routine and healthy lifestyle that will continue throughout your life, with or without your current symptoms. You may want to consider getting the lab work done, at least to have some peace about whether or not the thyroid is under active.
  • lois1585
    lois1585 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have an appointment with my family doc tomorrow. I think that's a good place to start. If need be, they can later refer me to an endocronologist (sp) if there are any type of issues.

Upon recommendation, I'll also have my iron and VitD checked.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I had all the regular symptoms as well: 2:00pm crash, hair loss, weight gain, inability to focus and a sense of feeling just not normal. It ended up I had hypothyroidism and Vit D deficiency. The two are a terrible combination to have because it kicks you totally off mentally and physically. I have now been regulated for almost two years and feel great. Advice: go to an endocrinologist to have a full evaluation, don't let a general practitioner regulate your thyroid instability.

^^This^^ was me too. Hypothyroid dx was 20 years ago. Hashimoto's was dx about 6 years ago when I went to a endocrinologist after just feeling that something was still off and no one was doing anything beyond TSH blood work. Vitamin D (severely deficient) was dx about 6 months ago when I changed doctors. Now that I am on a rapid repletion dose of Vitamin D and my Synthroid is "DAW" and dosage was upped significantly by the endo doc, I am feeling much better, but it is STILL a struggle to lose weight. But I continue to fight the battle of the bulge :)
  • lois1585
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. I was hesitant about posting, b/c I'm not lazy, I've stayed very consistent with working out and staying active and eating right for the last several years. I'm comforted that I'm not the only one out there :)
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    It never hurts to be tested - I always thought mine was thyroid too because my sister had a problem. Mine always came back fine. What I did have was iron deficiency. I was on prescription iron pills for about a year and I couldn't beleieve what a difference it made. There are many other things that can lead to being tired, being tired can lead to many other things. So don't count on it being a thyroid issue, but do get everything checked out. It could be something as simple as low iron.

Also, I found a holostic chiropractor who did wonders with getting my back to feeling healthy again, naturally without any prescription meds.
  • lois1585
    Options
    Update: My blood work came back today and it was normal. I'm so frustrated and discouraged. Do I just accept that or do I get a 2nd opinion?
  • amymutz
    amymutz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's only what you don't know that can't hurt you. Sounds like vit D deficiency or your thyroid. Go got the Doctor and get on the road to feeling good again. Don't be afraid of going to the Dr., it can be the best move you make. :smile:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    The overwhelming tiredness. I was getting panic attacks as well, and when I walked around, felt as if I was going to sink through the floor, such was the overwhelming fatigue. I had also gained weight, though I did not end up overweight, in spite of not eating healthy at all, or exercising. But I reached my heaviest weight, regardless. But mainly, yes, it was the fatigue. The feeling I could just slip into a coma.
    It has not affected my capacity to lose weight, however, since being put on levothyroxine years ago.
  • onelov3
    onelov3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    While it was my mother and not myself who was afflicted with hypothyroidism, I can tell you she did have brittle hair/fingernails, was tired often, and was cold constantly. She was actually checked by her doctor after she had lost a fair amount of weight, on a protein-only eating plan (which is odd that she lost weight, but it was just how it worked out for her). She put the weight back on as her thyroid issues got worse, even while she was on medication. Now she's dealing with Hashimoto's (an autoimmune disorder) in relation to hypothyroidism.

Even if you suspect you have thyroid issues, get checked. It's better to face the problem head on then let it fester and get worse.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Well, I was always extremely skinny and petite. Four years ago I started putting on weight when I started anxiety medications. 30 lbs soon turned into 100 lbs. Four years later and I have doubled in size (I was lucky I was only 97 lbs when I started the meds!) I began having weird symptoms…. very tired even after 12 hours of sleep and naps, brain fog, weakness, when I walked or even stood I felt as if I was sinking through the floor (it was very strange… this still happens to me), very disoriented, unable to tolerate temperature change. Obviously my anxiety and panic disorder history was alarming as well.

My PCP finally referred me to an endocrinologist after I continued to gain weight. My thyroid came back elevated so my endo wanted me to have it checked again in 6 weeks and if it was still high, we would start treatment. The next test came back only 2 points higher than normal range so he brushed it off. Since then, I've been diagnosed with other endocrine disorders and continue to have my thyroid checked. It always comes back slightly elevated but my endo says it's "nothing to be concerned about."

Good luck!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Update: My blood work came back today and it was normal. I'm so frustrated and discouraged. Do I just accept that or do I get a 2nd opinion?

Normal or somewhere at the lower end of normal? Like all blood work "normal" is based on population statistics. "Normal" may not be normal for you. Make certain that your doctor/lab is using the correct reference range.

My doctor has a different philosophy than a GP, if the lab results say one thing but the examination shows something else he tends to follow the exam diagnosis. I speak from experience, I am was on the lower end of the reference range but had symptoms of hypothyroidism. I take Armour Thyroid, visit the doctor regularly to make certain that I have no side effects, and now feel and look like a different person. Sometimes doctors need to follow their instincts.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Do you have any other known medical conditions?
  • lois1585
    Options
    I have an appointment to physically see my doctor in March. In the mean time, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing.

The only other past medical condition I've had was Melanoma skin cancer. I've been cancer free for 4 and a half years. Otherwise, I'm good. I'm also not on any type of medication.
  • Vonikins
    Vonikins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was just recently diagnosed with Hypo and I didn't even have that many symptoms. I have dealt with a weight gain, but in my opinion it has just been due to inactivity and bad eating habits because it was gained over a 6 year time frame. Inversly I've struggled to lose every pound when I have attempted to be proactive about my health in the past. My doctor did blood work for me mainly due to concerns I had over some odd acting moles around my neck and the fact my mom is just recovering from her melanoma cancer treatment. Moles are fine but thyroid is not. My dose is pretty small right now and next week I go back for a follow up. I'm slowly losing now, but starting to wonder about things I've jsut lived with like cold hands, dry skin, etc and considering if they are part of the bigger picture. Given your history, and the comments on the different hypo and hyper threads, I would ask what numbers your doctor considers are normal and where you fall into the range, because you might be border line.