Gardening, who's planning??

This has been a LONG winter and I am SO over it. I have been dreaming of digging in the dirt. Anyone else?
I plant tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, kale, lettuces, beans, peas, basil, parsley and a few other things. Last year I made some yummy pesto out of kale and awesome bruschetta. I also can, freeze & dehydrate whatever I can. Anyone else??

Replies

• Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    I am so over winter, it isn't even funny anymore. This year my garden space has gone from a huge yard to a medium sized balcony, so I'm being more conservative with my plantings. So far I have started seeds indoors for:

Broccoli Waltham
    Chamomile Roman
    Onion Sweet Evergreen Bunching
    Onion Italian red of Florence
    Chervil
    Beets, Ruby
    Beets, Carnival
    Chard, Swiss
    Chard, Rainbow
    Celery
    Tomatoes, Japanese Black
    Tomatoes, Yellow Pear

Yes, I realize several of these are not recommended to start indoors, but I don't have what you might call patience or wisdom in this regard. Most of my seeds are getting old, since I never planted row upon row of the same thing, so I want to find out how many will actually germinate. I also despise celery, but my parrot will eat it and I have so many dang celery and celeriac seeds that I might as well just go for it. So far only the celery has sprouted, but it has been only 5 days.

I need to pick up some Japanese eggplant as either seeds or seedlings, as these were my favorite and most productive plants in my old garden. I have several packets of carrot that I want to plant, but will probably harvest when "baby" sized.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    i cant even FIND my garden beds.
    but no. no money for plants. we MIGHT try and scrape something together for some mulch, but i doubt it.
  • Jsphine
    Jsphine Posts: 96 Member
    I'd love to listen in and maybe get some tips on how to plant own herbs and veggies. :smile:
  • Tdacks
    but no. no money for plants. we MIGHT try and scrape something together for some mulch, but i doubt it.

In all honesty, I have way more seed than I will be able to grow this season. Would you be interested in some of them, as friendly freebies?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    oh yeah
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member

Amanda, check your city to see if they have free mulch, or sometimes you can contact a tree trimmer & offer to let them dump a load at your house if they are in the area (it saves them from having to travel farther.)

Also, for everyone else, composting really adds nutrients to the soil and is super easy.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    OMG YES!!! I just moved to an apartment that gives you a little yard and you are allowed to plant basically everything you want and I can't wait ^_^

I think I'm going to go for a Japanese Maple and maybe some veggies (:
  • Tdacks

Amanda, check your city to see if they have free mulch, or sometimes you can contact a tree trimmer & offer to let them dump a load at your house if they are in the area (it saves them from having to travel farther.)

Also, for everyone else, composting really adds nutrients to the soil and is super easy.

That is a good point. When I lived in Florida, WM picked up tree branches and yard waste weekly, and you could drive out to the dump and just load up on as much mulch as you wanted. No guarantees about what any of it had been treated with, though.
  • 1flowergirl
    1flowergirl Posts: 57 Member
    I have my winter garden in I live in so.ca, harvesting broccoli already, brussel sprouts taking off, onions coming along nicely, asparagus maybe ready next year, even have a volunteer tomato coming up,(I plant heirloom tomatoes, you can harvest the seeds).
    when I compost the soil in a few weeks, I'll plant spaghetti squash, fingerling potatoes', zucchini, eggplant ,corn and lots of different tomatoes, I make my own oven roasted tomato's ,and pasta sauce, which I freeze.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    I am so ready to garden too despit the fact that I am terrible about it except for the herbs.

We have 3 large planters in our yard and 2 small ones. Onm the small oone we have herbs - parsley, basil, mint, rosemary, greek oregano, thyme, lemon verbeana, sage and fennel

I like to plant bell peppers, hot peppers, tomatoes and zuchinni.

I can never seem to get cabbages and lettues to work, the alwasy bolt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    We haven't done a garden in almost 4 years since my eldest was born...we're going to do one with him this year since he's old enough. We're picking up manure this weekend for our garden plot which is actually pretty large due to we live on roughly an acre. We haven't decided what to grow yet though...we'll probably let him pick out a few things and then just go with our garden staples.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    I will probably just do some tomatoes and peppers this year...
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    I am so ready to get seeds in the ground. This is our first year in CO so I am interested to find out how it will all grow. We have plans for a herb bed and some of these veggies.
    Chard, Brussel sprouts, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, lettuce, beets, spinach, tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, zuchinni, yellow squash, honey boats.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Yes , starting some peppers seed in my basement, Tomatoe seeds pretty soon. Tired of winter cant wait to start planting. Then I'll ***** its too hot.
    Worried about the garlic I planted in the fall , they havent come up yet. Hopefully soon. Onion plants should be here middle of March.
    I"m Ready Freddy !
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member

In all honesty, I have way more seed than I will be able to grow this season. Would you be interested in some of them, as friendly freebies?

I'd be willing to to bet that gardeners in your area would be willing to give you some extra seedlings if you put out a request on Craigslist. Most people start extra since sometimes germination rates are low. I always hate the feeling of tossing the extras in the compost.
  • Amandawith3kids
    i can ask for seedlings and such on freecycle. i got some pretty ornamental plants that way last year. i'll have to look into the other things.
  • Amandawith3kids

i dont really have any place that gets full sun. i grow mostly shrubs and such. we also have HEAVY deer pressure and i have no way to keep the deer away. thank you though.
  • I always have a big garden! Planting will start next month here and I'm so ready! :) I just got some seeds in today that i ordered. Green beans and purple hull peas.
  • arya8
    arya8 Posts: 316 Member
    I already started my flower seeds under the grow lights (impatiens, daisy mums, alyssum, coleus, and bunny tail grass). This weekend I'm starting marigolds, petunias, and some other flowers. Then by the end of March I'll start peppers, tomatoes and watermelon. The rest I will plant in the ground around May. I am so excited for this new growing season. Gardening is my favorite thing to do all year. I'm sick of this winter and I can't wait for warmer temps!
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    I'm going to try container gardening again. I tried a couple years ago and didn't live in a place very conducive to good gardening. I didn't have my own porch, not a lot of sun...it was a disaster. This time though, I live in a better place. I bought cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, jalapenos, chives, and cilantro. I'm excited to get started :) According to the almanac, I can't really start putting the veggies outside until April/May. I want to start the chives and cilantro inside asap though.