Fat Girl (running)

I recently came across a post in a C25K group that really inspired me. The link is below... a pretty quick read but honestly awesome, especially for anybody who is overweight and wanting/trying to start running.

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

In college, we were required to take at least two fitness classes. We could choose anything we wanted for one (I chose racquetball... soo fun!), and the other one was required to be a class called Life Fitness. It taught a little nutrition, the importance of exercise, etc. Towards the beginning of the semester, we were each required to either bike, ellipt, or run (treadmill or outdoors) for 12 minutes and log our time. At the end of the semester, we would then do the same exercise method (bike, run, ellipt, etc) and compare our distances.

I was not in great shape at the time (it's not my forte lol), and I weight around 210ish, but I decided to run outside for my 12 minutes. My friends in the class went the "easy" way (their words) and did the elliptical... I have absolutely nothing against the elliptical but I chose to try to run the track and push myself. As I walked up to the track, I realized that every other person who had chosen the track was very athletic... there were no other "fat girls" to be found. I ran anyway. I huffed and puffed my way around that track, stopped to walk a couple times, and felt ridiculously embarrassed at my effort.

About halfway through those 12 minutes, a guy (who I did not know, and who had likely lapped me by that time) came running past me and told me that I was doing a fantastic job and to keep it up. Towards the end of the 12 minutes, a small group of guys running past told me the same thing. Despite the fact that I felt ashamed of where I was, they admired the fact that I was running anyway.

About 11 minutes and 45 seconds into that run, I completed the first mile. Granted, that is not a great time for running a mile, but I DID IT. I had 12 minutes, and I ran a whole mile in that timeframe. I had almost forgotten about that moment until I read the link in the other post today, and I want to thank that person for reminding me that despite how out of shape I am, I'm still doing it. And that itself is an accomplishment.

Replies

• oceanbreeze27
    oceanbreeze27 Posts: 66 Member
    What a great story! I had Life Fitness in college, as well, and I did stick to the elliptical. (More because it was gentler on my knees than anything else.) I was quite heavyset at the time, too, so I can relate to your feeling uneasy at the track. But you're absolutely right: You're doing it! You should be so proud of yourself. :o)
  • lindseyas1
    lindseyas1 Posts: 25 Member
    That's awesome! I started running two years ago at nearly 260 pounds and having never run before. Within a year and a half I had lost 45 pounds and finished 7 5ks. Running changed everything about how I saw myself. I'd never seen myself as an athlete before and it made me feel strong and confident. After an injury that sidelined me for several months, I am back at it with the goal to run a marathon next year. If we can do it, anybody can!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Great story! best wishes for continued success.
  • This is great to read :) I love that you pushed yourself outside of your comfort zone. Go you! Keep up your hard work.
  • meganuhl1
    meganuhl1 Posts: 26 Member
    I started c25k the beginning of the year. Tmrw morning with be week 9 workout 3! I get so excited when I get on my treadmill in the mornings. I've tried to slow it down so I just do 3 days of running but the other 4 days I end up running also. Its just not fun going slow. I love the way it makes me feel knowing I'm not out of breathe either :)
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Awesome. I run on the treadmill doing couch to 5k . I ran at the track once so far about a month ago . This makes me want to go back :yawn: I did feel uncomfortable ,I didn't know anyone and everyone else ran so well...
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    That moved me to tears. I started my journey 3 months ago, slowly (and with a lot of sweat, soreness and tears) getting to the point where I can actually walk fast without worrying about my knees failing. I hope in two more months or less, I can actually run. I am a fat chick and proud. I have lost 29 lbs and have another 57 to go. It is nice to see that fit people out there actually acknowledge how hard it is for us to get out there and change our lives like this, in front of everyone. It is truly a difficult, sometimes painful and transforming journey with a wonderful prize at the end.
  • Thanks everyone! I can't believe that I had basically forgotten about that whole run until I read that link today! I'm signed up for a 5k in May (and a Warrior Dash as well!), so I've started running to try to get in shape for those. My time at the 5k I did last April was just over 40 minutes, which is not at all great for 3.1 miles... but I did it. And I did the whole thing without walking, which was an enormous accomplishment for me. I know I don't look great when I run... I've lost over 30 pounds in the past few months, but that puts me at 210, which is still quite overweight. My face gets beet red, I'm huffing and puffing away, and I'm not moving very fast. But... I'm still moving :-)
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Keep it up. You're doing great!!! You can accomplish anything you desire if you're willing. I'm living proof: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1052845-fat-smoker-to-triathlete?hl=Fat+smoker&page=1#posts-16168601