My problem with losing weight

Options
Hi, I have been "trying" to lose weight for a long time. I have no problems losing when I count my calories. I love tracking my food. I love exercising ( I just hate getting hurt). I love eating healthier. Pretty much every area of healthy living is pleasant for me except losing weight. I just hate feeling hungry, light headed, low energy, emotionally drained day in and day out restricting my calories. At times, if I am really uncomfortable with my size, I can stick to a weight loss plan for a few months, but then I stop. Yes this is wimpy and I know I have an attitude problem, but how do you deal with it? I have a lot of weight to lose, and feeling hungry for years on end sounds horrible. This is really a weakness for me. Everything feels good about being healthy for me except losing weight. I don't know what to do.

Those of you who struggle with this, what advice do you have?

Replies

• chelleb1974
    chelleb1974 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    In my experience, if you find a reliable way to calculate how many calories you should be eating a day, and stick to it, you should not feel hungry all the time while losing weight. You probably will for the first couple weeks, maybe, while you adjust to smaller serving sizes (or just less food than you are used to eating), but it should not last a whole lot longer.

There are many different ways to determine your calorie goal for the day. I choose to use MFPs calculation and eat back all of my exercise calories (if I'm hungry). In the past I've done Weight Watchers, but calorie counting just makes more sense to me.

Part of feeling hungry/not hungry, for me, is my attitude. If I go into a weight loss plan thinking I am going to be hungry all the time......I usually am. I have had much better luck going into a weight loss plan with the goal of eating healthier and trying to change bad life long habits. As a result of eating healthier (and not so much focusing on losing weight) I lost just about 100 lbs. I got complacent and gained 30 of them back, so I am here working towards getting rid of the 30lbs and the rest of what I want to lose to be healthy.

Good luck with your journey!

~Chelle
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling hungry, light-headed, and emotionally and physically drained, I would think that you're being too restrictive with your calories and/or food choices.

How many calories do you consume when you feel this way?

Eating a reduced-calorie diet can certainly feel less than awesome on occasion, but I never feel the way you describe. If you want to make sustainable changes that will last you the rest of your life, my advice is to make small, gradual changes. Eat at a moderate deficit rather than a huge one, and eat in a way that you enjoy. :smile:

Also, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • danialmoghaddam
    danialmoghaddam Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Jess,
    How many meals do you have? One of the most common techniques to eliminate the hunger is to have at least five meals a day.
    I got result adopting this program.

For Example:
    Your Calorie Goal is 2000

Try to eat : 5x400 meals

Lets say you wake up at 8:00

1- Breakfast 8:00 (focus more on Fibers, Mineral, and Sugar from fruits)
    2- Snack 11:00
    3- Lunch 13:30
    4- Snack 17:00
    5- Dinner 20:00

You will probably feel hungry before the bed time, I suggest to leave 200 Cal for one hour bed time. feed yourself with some slow digest foods like Nuts, Green Leafy Veg
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has already touched on number of calories per day, which is important to consider, but another consideration is the quality of the calories you're eating. Eating more healthy fats and proteins will keep you satiated longer than foods with high sugar and carb contents. I find that making sure I get some fat and protein alongside any carbs I do eat makes me feel fuller much longer. For instance, if you're going to eat an apple, add some peanut butter. Add avocado to salads. Stuff like that. Healthy fats and good quality proteins are the key to keeping hunger away.
  • lavender_fairie
    lavender_fairie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Maybe "making a deal" with yourself would help? Something like: "I will restrict cals for X amount of time (like a month or two), or until I'm down to X weight (like 3,,5,10 pounds from where u are now), then I will eat at maintenance cals for X amount of time." Some of the big successes I've read on here took breaks like this so they didn't feel they were always restricting. Even during maintenance breaks, tho, It would be important to log and also give yourself a certain date when u have to jump back into the game tho. Since actually starting is my big problem, I've not done this really, but I've read lots of successful stories on here from ppl who have.

Also, attitude really can get you. When I have a bad attitude (happens quite frequently, lol), I remind myself how fickle my emotions can be. If I went off how I felt some days I would have at least divorced my husband (possibly worse), smacked my kids around, and thrown my dog out. But I love them all, and soon enough my crazy subsides and I can see the forest for the trees again. Same with my weight loss. Couple weekends ago, everybody at my house ordered this awesome pizza from this local place. My hubby even asked before he did it (sweet) and I said sure, I've planned out my supper already so go ahead. As I sat there watching everybody pull mile-long pieces of cheesy awesome out of the box,I was soooo miffed. Later that night I went to bed grumbling about how it's not fair and I haven't lost any weight in like 2 weeks and grumble hiss whine..aaaaannnd the next day I was down 1.3 pounds. That loss meant more to me than that temporary pizza would have- I know that. It also proved to me that in the heat of the moment, I my emotions are not to be trusted. Lol

Things I tell myself to get my head right:

1. It's just food. I can beat food.

2. As far as problems go, I'd rather have too much food available than too little. Then I think about how lucky I am to live in a place where food is so available that I have to remind myself not to eat it all. There are many places in the world where that is not the case and there but for the grace of God go I.

3. If I don't control my own self, eventually somebody else will, and I won't like it. I've only been in the hospital to have my babies and it was so clinical, cold, calculating- feeling. I want to stay in charge of my own body- I HATE the idea of others having control over my body. It's MINE. So I remember, if I don't make some of the hard choices, I'll have to give up that control to somebody else. NO. I'm spoiled that way. I'll take care of MYSELF, thank you.

4. You want fudge? (Yes, I do. Very.Much.)
    Then do an extra workout and you can have fudge. (Hmmm...)
    (And Sometimes I do want it bad enough to work out, sometimes I don't, but I like making deals with myself like that.)

5. WHen I'm hungry for a snack I drink a massive glass of water and wait. If I'm still ravenous, I'll eat, but it has to be something with fiber or protein. Bc hunger isn't the same as wanting junk. Hunger is a need. Junk is just junk.

Hope this might help in some way! I'm a little jealous of how you like to work out! I used to be that way but not for years now, not since the babies came. you have several pieces of the puzzle already on lockdown- that's awesome!! Don't give up when you have all the tools to make it work!
  • KarenChristian58
    KarenChristian58 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It may be a food that you're eating. I feel the same way, *when I eat dairy. I am not necessarily allergic to dairy, but it drains my energy like you can't believe and in terms of motivation, it can really take me down. We each have different foods that our bodies don't process well, whether or not we're actually diagnosed with a food allergy. Chances are that you may know some of the foods that drain your energy already. I completely cut out dairy recently, and my gosh I feel better than I knew was even possible. Of course, I tend to feel much better on a vegetarian diet so I cut out all meat except fish as well. But not everyone responds that way. I know that for some people, meat is an energizing food. For me, it saps my energy like crazy. -- Hope this helps?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore fat & carbs. That helps me feeling fuller longer. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Something I do to stay on track is plan one meal out or treat each weekend - not a whole binge day and not really going over my cal goals by more than 300 or so. So, all week I eat very healthy, even under my goal, and just save my treat for the weekend. Maybe a few beers, mashed potatoes, big piece of cake, whatever. I used to sort of fall into the trap of "I'd rather be fat and enjoy myself" but this system has really helped me curb that attitude.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Maybe raise your calorie goal, shoot for a half pound a week loss. That way you can eat more, feel better and still lose. Losing slowly is better than not at all.