Refrigerate natural peanut butter?

Options
Can someone please help me out here...I eat a lot of natural peanut butter and it always says "refrigerate after opening" I HATE doing that as it gets too hard. Do I NEED to put my natural peanut butter in the fridge? I've read some people do because it goes rancid and it can make you sick and there's some people who don't and say its fine. I probably go through a small jar in 2 weeks.

Replies

• HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    You've been doing fine NOT putting in the refrigerator, yes?
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I always put it in the fridge cause thats what it says on the label, dont know if it would go bad in a couple weeks though.
  • jseward20
    jseward20 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been putting it in the fridge....but I sometimes leave it out for a few days...and then I get paranoid..I would like to leave it out all the time but want to know if that's a big no no
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I have my eggs, natural peanut butter and bacon all in the cupboard. I haven't gotten sick yet.
  • HawkeyeTy
    Options
    I have been putting it in the fridge....but I sometimes leave it out for a few days...and then I get paranoid..I would like to leave it out all the time but want to know if that's a big no no

Meh.

I leave a stick of actual butter out on the counter for up a week...It's all good.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,002 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's for rancidity from oxidation, non saturated fats have a tendency to to that when exposed to oxygen and light, but it's probably more cautionary and may have legal implications as well. I don't refrigerate.
  • Tigg_er
    Options
    It does seem to taste better to me when I first open them and they havent been put in the fridge. Just dont know how long they can stay out with out a problem.
  • RadScorp
    RadScorp Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I never put peanut butter in the fridge.. or eggs (from a farm).. or tomato sauce.. I know we do things differently here in the UK though haha. We're all fine though :P I wouldn't bother.
  • GhoulMango
    GhoulMango Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The only reason it says to refrigerate is so that the oils don't separate. You'll be totally fine leaving it out though, you just might have to stir in the oils again :)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I put it in the fridge, because the oils stay mixed in.

It'll be fine if you leave it out, (you store other oils at room temp...) it will just separate.
  • HawkeyeTy
    Options
    This thread just reminds me to never try "natural" peanut butter.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Can someone please help me out here...I eat a lot of natural peanut butter and it always says "refrigerate after opening" I HATE doing that as it gets too hard. Do I NEED to put my natural peanut butter in the fridge? I've read some people do because it goes rancid and it can make you sick and there's some people who don't and say its fine. I probably go through a small jar in 2 weeks.

I do because it gets runny if left in room temperature.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I use Trader Joe's and it says to put in fridge so I do. I believe at first I didn't and didn't do me no harm. I just actually read the label and just followed what it said.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    This thread just reminds me to never try "natural" peanut butter.

Natural PB is way way way better taste wise.
  • Tigg_er
    Options
    Okay think I'll try the next jar out of the fridge. The jar only last me a week anyway and then its gone. And I like the oily taste better.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I put it in the fridge, because the oils stay mixed in.

It'll be fine if you leave it out, (you store other oils at room temp...) it will just separate.
    Natural peanut butter and it's oil is much more susceptible to rancidity than refined cooking oils. I flip my natural peanut butter upside down every time I use it
  • jseward20
    Options
    Thanks for the advise guys :) much appreciated....I take my peanut butter seriously! Hahaha ;)
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Thanks for the advise guys :) much appreciated....I take my peanut butter seriously! Hahaha ;)
    It's no laughing matter.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I never refrigerate mine and I sometimes have a jar in the cupboard for a month or so.

Also, I've never had a problem with separation after the initial stir, even in the cupboard.
  • jseward20
    Options
    It's no laughing matter.

hahaha