Birthday 100calorie Cupcakes?

Options
So... my 25th birthday is coming up in March. (Ah, the "almost 30" marker!) I'm trying to do a little preparation. Although it's going to be my "ultimate cheat day that I totally deserve", I'm going to try to be a bit responsible with my naughtiness. Moderation is the key, right?

Anyway, my best friend and I are trying to watch our diets and we thought 100 calorie cupcakes would be a perfect treat that would be easy to keep track of.

So here's the deal. I love chocolate. Love chocolate. Cannot stress enough... chocolate.

...chocolate.

I've found a couple recipes that sounded pretty good, but did you guys have any tried and true low calorie cupcake recipes that you'd be willing to share? I've noticed that some of the killer calories are from the icing, so if anyone has any icing alternatives, I beg of you! Spread the knowledge!

Here are some of the uh-may-zing sounding recipes I found:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/super-moist-low-fat-chocolate-cupcakes.html

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2011/02/03/how-to-make-100-calorie-moist-chocolate-cupcakes/

http://www.topwithcinnamon.com/2012/12/100-calorie-chocolate-cupcakes-with-chocolate-cream-cheese-icing.html

Edit: I've heard of people putting protein powder in foods like pancakes, would anyone see any harm in putting it in cupcakes? Seems like a good way to get some sweetness in there, I love the taste of my protein powder in my oatmeal. Just a thought.

Replies

• kristendeyell
    kristendeyell Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, you could make regular cupcakes (I've got a killer chocolate cupcake recipe that's to die for lol), but put them in a mini muffin tin. Then you could have 4 and not feel guilty!
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    For an icing alternate, look for one that is merengue based. You mix egg white powder with water to make the merengue, then mix in very hot corn syrup (heated in the microwave). It's light and fluffy. I'm sure there is a chocolate version.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I've made the ones from Canyoustayfordinner.

Tasty. My coworkers didn't notice - I made it for a coworkers birthday.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    spongebob_squarepants_chocolate_guy_meme_by_seekerarmada-d5iil5a.jpg
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    Also adding, 25 is not almost 30.
    I'm turning 25 later this year and I do not see that as 'almost 30'. I see it as 'yay cheaper car insurance'.
    Almost 30, is 29years 364 days old.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    spongebob_squarepants_chocolate_guy_meme_by_seekerarmada-d5iil5a.jpg

All of her options are chocolate.
    This is useless.
  • SwampWitch666
    SwampWitch666 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Also adding, 25 is not almost 30.
    I'm turning 25 later this year and I do not see that as 'almost 30'. I see it as 'yay cheaper car insurance'.
    Almost 30, is 29years 364 days old.

Opinion. *slow shrug* I'm not complaining. Every year that goes by my life gets better. So there's that.
  • SwampWitch666
    Options
    http://www.foodiefiasco.com/the-worlds-healthiest-chocolate-cupcakes/

Huh. These run at 45 calories... I just realized that pumpkin is a reoccuring ingredient for a lot of low cal cupcakes. Interesting. *noted*
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I had a birthday recently. I ate everything that I wanted. Do that yourself. It won't hurt your diet or something... It's YOUR birthday you deserve that. You deserve ordinary cupcakes instead of some substitutes. Just don't go over with too much food, you don't want to make yourself sick (like I did)
  • SwampWitch666
    Options
    I understand that I /can/ eat regular cupcakes, but I really don't want to, especially since they won't taste too terribly much different anyways (I've heard from several people that the SkinnyTaste recipe is amazing, so we're probably going to go with that) and we'll be making them ourselves anyways so it's not like it's any more effort being put into them.
  • brandeeeee
    Options
    save
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Oh, I've done the one from Can You Stay For Dinner several times, it's sooooo delicious! I always have a batch in my fridge, to satisfy a sweet tooth/chocolate craving! When I make them, they come out at 62-77cal: I use whole wheat flour (she recommends you get whole wheat special for desserts, but I have not found it to be necessary: I even used rye one time, and still good!) - I use more cocoa powder, and I use sweetner instead of sugar + I make the applesauce myself (grate apples, add bit of water microwave, add water if needed, stir, microwave, add water if needed, stir, etc. until it seems right - it doesn't get as runny as store bought, but I actually prefer it not to be)

They are deliciousssss
  • Jooliebean
    Jooliebean Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on the web. "A Dessert Diet"!!
    Good Luck! Happy Early Birthday! ;)
    x Jules

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour / white whole wheat flour/ all-purpose flour (you can substitute 1/4 cup of chestnut flour or peanut flour)
    1/4 cup cocoa powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    3/4 tsp baking soda
    9 tbsp pure maple syrup/ agave syrup
    20 drops stevia extract
    6 tbsp eggs/ (Vegan version: 2 tbsp flax meal plus 6 tbsp water, whisked together)
    2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

Whisk together wet ingredients in a big bowl.
    Mix dry ingredients in another bowl.
    Sift dry ingredients into bowl of wet ingredients.
    Mix well with spoon or ladle.
    Pour into cupcake linings.
    Bake at 350F/180°C for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Nutrition Facts

Cals - 110 (Cals from fat-12)

Fat - 1.3 g

Cholesterol- 37 mg

Carbs- 23.2 g

Fiber-1.6 g

Protein-2.4 g