Somethings not adding up

Options
So for over the past two months I have been super strict about recording EVERYTHING into my food diary. I have been really good about staying between 1500-1700 a day range. Although I would say I have had about 5-6 days where I hit just over 2000 due to dinners out etc. I also work out 5-6 days a week. I do cardio for an hour to an hour and a half (switching between recumbent bike, elliptical and treadmill) and usually a half an hour of strength. I'm at college so I'm pretty active generally walking across campus, always taking the stairs and I volunteer 3 times a week at the childcare center. But with all this I do not notice a single difference in my appearance. I went from a size 12 to 10 in jeans but the 12s were already sort of loose and the 10s aren't quite perfectly fitting. I do have a problem at school with a majority of the food being fried and/or processed. Its very hard to eat healthy there is no fruit, very little vegetables (green beans and collard greens only) and its in a VERY small town so there isn't much around.I work out a lot because there isn't really anything else to do haha. Most of my calories for the day come from dinner which tends to be the only meal I eat that comes from the school. I take topamax for migraines which sort of disables my hunger sensor in my brain so I have to "remind" myself to eat and sometimes its hard to actually do it.
This is my normal pattern weekly;
MWF-
Breakfast-
Bagel+ yogurt; or cereal + yogurt and tea+ honey
Lunch-
apple + peanut butter
Dinner-
cafeteria food or subway
Sometimes desert
Tues/Thurs-
Brunch-
Bagel + banana; or tuna salad with grapes; or deli sandwich
Snack-
wheat thins
Dinner-
cafeteria food or subway
sometimes desert

I'm just not sure if its because I'm not getting enough fruit, vegetables and protein in or if I am consuming too many carbs and fats at dinner? When I go home this weekend I was going to pick up some protein water and bars to supplement. I drink plenty of water, especially since I am on topamax I have to. I don't have a fridge in my dorm room which sucks because I would be able to keep some shakes of some sort around. But if anyone has any tips or anything it would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• firelight4321
    firelight4321 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would say definitely stay away from fried/fatty foods, small portions of sweets, and low carbs. Don't cut out the carbs completely.

Stick to cereal instead of bagels for breakfast. For dinner, pick the healthiest option... Anything grilled/baked/boiled, veggies instead of bread or potatoes or rice or pasta sides. Broth soups are good... High sodium, but low calorie.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Looking at your menu it looks to me like you are underestimating calories and eating too much to lose at the rate you desire. Bananas are loaded with calories, same with bagels and peanut butter. Cafeteria food?! Any idea what's going in those green beans? If you underestimate the size of your fruit which is easy to do, you can have an extra thousand calories in a week with no trouble. It's death by a thousand cuts--every little error adds up. I doubt you are weighing your portions at the cafeteria--that's part of it. They give portions meant for thin college kids--that's why girls put on 15 pounds when they go to school since they invented college. You didn't mention alcohol--college is known for that. I could have easily consumed 1500 calories in beer at one party.

I think you should just not worry too much about your weigh. Eat smart, cool it on snacks, and continue to exercise. Oh, get good grades--they will haunt you forever.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are on the right track and doing a great job sticking to a healthy lifestyle even in limited and busy circumstances!!
    Maybe try decreasing your cardio and increasing your strength training - set lifting goals to beat. It sounds like you have a very standard exercise routine and sometimes doing the same cardio for that long can result in getting used to the routine and doing it sort of half-assed.
    Despite all the "lift heavy" fans around here, I simply don't want to deal with a gym, but I've had good results doing strength via challenging/power yoga classes and www.blogilates.com (you can do this in your dorm room).
  • cball3394
    Options
    I eat pretty small portions at the caf. Its all self serve, so you get everything yourself. My college is really small its almost like a glorified high school. I would say my average dinner is collard greens (blah), chicken of some sort or fish (its always in some sauce or like fried fish) and potatoes (baked or mashed) sometimes macaroni and cheese but I try stay away from that and if they have sweet potatoes normally I get those. Also as for alcohol I really don't go out at this school ( Im pretty miserable here haha) if I go home with my friends and drink I do count it hence the over 2000 days haha. I am transferring to a much better college next year!
  • LovingLifeInCalifornia
    Options
    I understand that it's hard to eat fresh living in the dorms, but are the cafeteria, isn't there a fruit bowl available? Try eating more whole grains and veggies - less fried. It's hard to tell how much oil may actually be used in the fried foods - and that can definitely negatively affect your progress.

Also, I agree with the other poster. Trade in a couple of the cardio workouts for strength based workouts. You can buy some weights and easily get a program together from the web, youtube or DVD if you can't afford a trainer or know what to do. Increasing muscle will help with more results in terms of inches, not necessarily weight.

Hope that helps.
  • cball3394
    Options
    I will have to try that that website! I do get bored with my gym routine. And honestly the gym here is awful as well (wow I'm really talking this place up). thanks!!
  • cball3394
    Options
    shockingly the caf really doesn't have fruit. We have some apples and SOMETIMES some canned peaches (full of sugar). thanks! I am definitely going to look up some videos and add more strength!
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Video quality leaves something to be desired, but information here is excellent. Should help you now and later when you have more options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk&list=PLnPAPdT4m_g_jts_h2xcr2MFzW5uwJ2uP

I also recommend a few strength based workouts during your week to build a bit of muscle.
  • cball3394
    Options
    Thank you, I appreciate it!
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    shockingly the caf really doesn't have fruit. We have some apples and SOMETIMES some canned peaches (full of sugar). thanks! I am definitely going to look up some videos and add more strength!

If you can get a hold of some frozen unsweetened berries and have an area to keep them frozen it may be beneficial. Berries are fairly dense fruits that you can mix easily into yogurt, oatmeal or blended drinks.