Nutrition science and biochemistry

Options
So, for a biochemistry course I'm taking this semester, I have to pick a topic of interest to me and write an exploratory paper. Because my major is nutrition science, I want to pick something related to nutrition or sports nutrition. Any suggestions for interesting topics, as I'm sitting here in class idly searching the Internet for a good idea?

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    "MFP Users who are stuck on a plateau after one week but don't track calories"
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

^ Winner.

And if you need a follow-up topic:

"And people who immediately tell them to "eat more" as the solution"
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    For performance, what is the best thing to eat before a competition? Carb, protein, fat ratio? And how does it vary by sport?
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options

^ Winner.

lol.

"The disproportionate percentage of MFP users that claim to eat 1200 calories a day, exercise 6 days a week and are still gaining weight."
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

^ Winner.

Good ideas guys. You could pick just about any myth in the nutritional landscape and build a paper around it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Protein partitioning and metabolism and the effects of fat and carbohydrate consumption on the aforementioned.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Nutrition (calorie quality) vs. Pure Thermodynamics (calorie quantity)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Nutrition (calorie quality) vs. Pure Thermodynamics (calorie quantity)
    Depending who's assessing the paper she could get a fail though. j/k:wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    My favorite:

The " You can't get lean unless you eat clean" vs "IIFYM" debate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    As a athlete I would be interested in anything on recovery nutrition. It seems all I see now are commercials on recovery drinks and foods. Perhaps something on the importance and how necessary it is.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^ Winner.

Maybe she could do something about the timing of results of muscle gains and body recomposition versus the mini trampoline.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower and why it can mask itself as pizza.

cauliflower200-73fa7e31835d86c2f092faa660cc370112350a0f-s6-c30.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I got a topic "Special Snowflakes, A study in why calories in vs calories out does not work" bahahahaha..

or you could go with "Sugar Addiction, How are some addicted to Added Sugar, but will eat Fruit and Honey"

or

Quality of food is super to calories in vs calories out.

or

the real science behind Paleo ..oh wait there is none scratch that topic…

I can go on for days….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower and why it can mask itself as pizza.

cauliflower200-73fa7e31835d86c2f092faa660cc370112350a0f-s6-c30.jpg

or "Cauliflower, how it can make itself as ever "bad" food that everyone wants to avoid, but still attempt to eat
  • SwampWitch666
    SwampWitch666 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Whatever you choose, post it! Now I'm curious to read it.
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    I think ketogenic or low carb diets using triglycerides as a major energy source in endurance athletes would be a good-interesting topic due to the whole controversy of wisdom going against the traditional marathon carb loading practices.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I wrote mine on diabetes last year for the same sort of class. Found some REALLY interesting stuff from the studies--some of which were done in my own 'backyard' at a prestigious local research university--stuff that no one seems to know in real life...

Let me know if you want to know the keyword to look up to find this stuff...

I also did a short presentation on ketogenic diets and cancer, as well.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Major case of deja vu, btw. I swear I saw this topic come up in my feed the other day. Did you post it in Eat, Train, Progress, too?
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    I wrote mine on diabetes last year for the same sort of class. Found some REALLY interesting stuff from the studies--some of which were done in my own 'backyard' at a prestigious local research university--stuff that no one seems to know in real life...

Let me know if you want to know the keyword to look up to find this stuff...

I also did a short presentation on ketogenic diets and cancer, as well.
    Protein's effects on blood glucose and insulin would be a good one. In particular, protein isolate