Any recipes using turmeric ? Idk chicken or beef or vegs ?

Options
Debbiedebbiey
Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
I've just been hearing its a super antioxidant & would like to incorporate it into daily meals.

Replies

• Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You can mix some in with milk and honey and warm it up to make a soothing drink. I read that this is a good remedy for sore throat. I use it and it seems to help. Be careful not to go overboard with turmeric. It is supposed to be good for releiving inflammation, but can cause stomach problems if too much is used.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I use quite a bit of turmeric in my curried cauliflower recipe which I make almost everyday because it's so delicious and healthy.

In the bottom of a bowl, mix:
    1 tbsp of olive oil (ideally - I'm still quite restricted with calories so I usually try to cut down on the oil)
    2 tsp curry powder
    2tsp turmeric
    1tsp cumin
    1tsp coriander
    1tsp garlic salt
    (add whatever you want, really, and however much. This is just what I use)

Cut up cauliflower and throw into bowl, coating the cauliflower in the mixture. Bake on lined baking sheet at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or so or until the cauliflower is cooked.

Like I said, I make this almost everyday as a side. I don't actually measure the spices, just sprinkle it in straight from the spice bottle. My cauliflower isn't usually coated but that's 'cause I roast many other veggies along side and the olive oil calories really add up when you're using it on everything.

ETA: Careful with turmeric, it will stain! Sometimes I can't help myself and I'll eat some of the cauliflower off the pan with my fingers and I regret it afterwards.
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    mix it in with mash potatoes or add to water when boiling rice
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    This is probably a bit strange but I sometimes put some in my morning coffee with cinnamon and chilli powder. All for different health benifits.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's great in lentil soup.
    Something like this recipe:
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2595/spinach+red+lentil+soup
    but I add 1-2 tsp each of: turmeric, cinnamon, paprika, oregano, cumin, coriander.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    The one I make the most often with turmeric is this:
    http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/bal-arneson/butter-chicken.html
    But I've also had it in soups, marinades, and with veggies. Yum! I actually make my own supplements by filling some gelatin capsules with turmeric and taking them with my multivitamin. It's helped me to keep my costochondritis under control, so I always have a big bag of it. Looking forward to finding more ways to use it up!
  • drift
    drift Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Mix turmeric with yogurt and use it as a marinade for chicken, with other spices that you like. Turmeric also works really well with courgettes/zucchini.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I doesn't have any particular taste, so add it to anything. I sometimes find it has a bit of a bitter flavor unless it cooks down, so I tend to add it at the beginning of cooking. I use it quite a bit in soup to give them a nice color. Same for color.

A rice I get quite frequently in the middle east is rice colored with turmeric flavored with cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and a touch of clove (I don't like too much clove flavor so I use this very sparingly).