Is it wrong to get inspiration from others people's photos?

Options
I know that a lot of my inspiration comes from looking at people on blogs who have nice, toned bodies and work out everyday. I find myself comparing myself to them and hope that one day I will be able to look as nice as they do. Is it wrong to do this? I know everybody's body is different and my results may never come close to theirs but I can't help but use them as inspiration.

Replies

• fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    No.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Of course not! The only concern you should have is that it is, in fact, inspirational and not defeating for you. There's a reason people love seeing before and after photos. It makes it seem all the more within the realm of possibility!
  • soundasleepx
    Options
    I do this ALL the time! I am really quite preoccupied by pictures of thin people as well. I think it's something the majority of girls do, I find myself doing it with people I see in person, too. Whatever you can motivate yourself with, is definitely not a bad thing!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I find it motivating to look at before/after photos of women who are my height and shape.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you! I judge myself against myself - always trying to be the best version of me that I can be. I'm intrinsically motivated, so the outside world has little effect on my personal goals and achievements. I'm not really inspired by others' achievements, but I do get happy feelings when I see others succeed. I can be proud of total strangers, believe it or not! I can't see anything wrong with using other people's success as inspiration for yourself. Lots of people do it. There are entire threads here devoted to success stories that help motivate others. :flowerforyou:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you're looking at real photos of real people, no Photoshopped "Thinspo" garbage. Then you're good. Get your motivation from where you can.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    why would it be wrong? theres a whole section dedicated to people sharing their success and helping others get motivated =\
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I find it motivating to look at before/after photos of women who are my height and shape.

This is super important! When I started looking at success stories of women who looked like me I became so much more inspired.
  • Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member
    Options

This is super important! When I started looking at success stories of women who looked like me I became so much more inspired.

I'm with both these guys. The before/after pics especially in my weight & age range are the real inspirations for me because they're closest to my weight and goals! :smile:
  • Meekipanda
    Options
    why would it be wrong? theres a whole section dedicated to people sharing their success and helping others get motivated =\

I guess it was just because of the negativeness of photos of people in magazines and how their bodies are "fake" because they are perfect and photoshopped. So I was curious if my motivation based off of a photograph of someone was wrong. It's also because I come from a family (not my mom though) who believe that you can't achieve being fit without starving yourself. So they see those photos of fit women and wonder how long they starved themselves for.

Sorry if it sounds confusing, maybe I didn't word it correctly.
  • smand2000
    Options
    No, you shouldn't ... But of course, you already do, and advertising is based on the fact that most others do as well (and will buy products because of it), so take solace in the notion that you are "purchasing" your health with the help of an otherwise underhanded associative technique, have a laugh, and move on without worry ...
  • smand2000
    Options
    Well - based on that last post - let me add, motivation/inspiration is one thing - but if you expect to actually attain the perfection shown in those airbrushed magazines, that's a whole other question. Because you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Those photos are an idealized fantasy - even approaching those looks is a full time job for an entire team / supporting cast (the model, trainer, nutritionist, etc). The average person simply doesn't have the time, genetics, support, or motivation (financial and otherwise) to approach those looks. It would be like an ancient greek trying to achieve the physique of a god.

So in short - be inspired and motivated. But never compare actual results with anyone but yourself ...
  • Meekipanda
    Options
    Well - based on that last post - let me add, motivation/inspiration is one thing - but if you expect to actually attain the perfection shown in those airbrushed magazines, that's a whole other question. Because you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Those photos are an idealized fantasy - even approaching those looks is a full time job for an entire team / supporting cast (the model, trainer, nutritionist, etc). The average person simply doesn't have the time, genetics, support, or motivation (financial and otherwise) to approach those looks. It would be like an ancient greek trying to achieve the physique of a god.

So in short - be inspired and motivated. But never compare actual results with anyone but yourself ...

Oh, I don't care for the magazine photos, and never will. I was just answering of why I thought it would be wrong to use photos as inspiration.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I use it in MPF because people it's inspiring and gives hope of what you can achieve and you also get good advice on how to get there
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I find those pictures incredibly motivating! Especially before and afters, LOVE them!

And I'll let you in on a little secret that's so wrong... I use a couple of my friends on Facebook as motivation, too.. Not because I want to look like them, because I don't want to ever be that heavy and unhealthy. Nothing motivates me to get off my butt like that.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I find it flattering that you may like my photo....
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Nope, as long as you remember that your body is completely different, and even if you weighed the same amount as those people, you may not look the same. It can be dangerous to try and achieve an impossible body size or shape. Some people just aren't meant to look a certain way.