How do you do it??????

Options
Ok so im trying to lose 20kg i just lost 1kg...:smile: Im counting calories and using the elliptical machine....:wink: I was just wondering if any off you guys or girls do this and just tell me how much did you lose how long it took and what brand is your elliptical machine????????:huh: Also what king of heart rate monitor you guys or girls use?????:huh: Thanks:tongue:

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I rarely use an elliptical and when I do it's one at the gym. I'm no help there.

On the weight loss front, I've just started my 32nd week of logging and I've lost 48 lbs.

I have a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor.

Good job losing 1 kg. Just keep going and you'll be at your goal in no time.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical and I have had good results. I also wanted to build some muscle and I feel like the elliptical works my legs and core pretty well. The trick on the elliptical is to PUSH yourself. You can so a pretty wimpy workout on the elliptical if you don't use resistance and you go slow, but this probably won't get you the results you want.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I do use an elliptical, but not all the time. I usually try to make my workouts different, so I do weight training, then maybe 20 mins on treadmill or elliptical afterwards. Each day I try to work a different group of muscles. But as far as the calorie counting, it took me about a year to lose 22 lbs. I currently weigh 135, 19% body fat.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical and I have had good results. I also wanted to build some muscle and I feel like the elliptical works my legs and core pretty well. The trick on the elliptical is to PUSH yourself. You can so a pretty wimpy workout on the elliptical if you don't use resistance and you go slow, but this probably won't get you the results you want.

Ditto!
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I rarely use an elliptical and when I do it's one at the gym. I'm no help there.

On the weight loss front, I've just started my 32nd week of logging and I've lost 48 lbs.

Where did you buy your HRM from? I've decided to get the Polar FT1 but want to find the best deal lol.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Claudia, how strict are you at measuring and logging the foods you eat?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Where did you buy your HRM from? I've decided to get the Polar FT1 but want to find the best deal lol.

I bought mine online. The prices are pretty much the same everywhere.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Claudia, how strict are you at measuring and logging the foods you eat?

This matters way more than what brand elliptical you have.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've never used an elliptical.

I do use a food scale, that's been pretty much my most important weight loss purchase. I lost about a pound per week until the end when I switched to half a pound.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i have the ft7. i love it. bough it online ebay for 73.00 free shipping. i was going to get the ft4 for 63 or something dollars but i really liked the red and black ft7. i also use the elliptical at the gym. calories in vs calories out. thats the equation i stick with and its working. i started this lifestyle change journey on july 22nd, 2013. so far so good. 7 months in.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I've never used an elliptical.

I do use a food scale, that's been pretty much my most important weight loss purchase. I lost about a pound per week until the end when I switched to half a pound.

^^THIS. I have switched different workouts and different programs more times than I can count. The only time I lose consistantly is when I use my food scale.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Is "elliptical" code for something else? I'm confused by the :wink: .

You can find online coupons to use for purchasing your hrm. I found a 10% off coupon, and paid $70ish for my FT7 with free shipping. Definitely invest in a food scale if you don't have one already. Congratulations on your loss so far, OP!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

You can find online coupons to use for purchasing your hrm. I found a 10% off coupon, and paid $70ish for my FT7 with free shipping. Definitely invest in a food scale if you don't have one already. Congratulations on your loss so far, OP!

:wink:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

:wink:

tumblr_li9zsskofj1qz6g3w_zps96ff1c88.gif
  • ClaudiaKho13
    ClaudiaKho13 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Oh haha put the wrong smiley
  • timrpm
    timrpm Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    By all means use an elliptical - but do push yourself and include intervals of increased effort (check your wattage). I see lots of people doing 8 minutes of low intensity elliptical at resistance level 1; they may as well be walking for all the calories *that* burns. (which is fine, walking is ok - but don't kid yourself that just because it is a machine or in a gym, you're burning much off!)
  • ClaudiaKho13
    ClaudiaKho13 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I don't use the elliptical - I hate it, I find the movement really awkward and uncomfortable and don't know what 'real life' movement its meant to be replicating at all.

I run, and I lift weights, and I take Spin classes.

For my run/spin classes, I have a Polar FT4 HRM which I find pretty accurate for me.

I've lost just over 20lbs in 26weeks but that includes a big 'blip' in December where I tried to maintain (and actually gained) during the Christmas Party/Holiday season so if I only take the weeks I was trying to stay in deficit, it averages about 1lb a week loss.
  • Troysgone
    Troysgone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weigh food and be honest. If you eat it, enter it. If you don't enter it into your diary it doesn't mean you haven't eaten it.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical and I love it. But like anything else you have to put in the effort to get the results. There are a lot of good elliptical interval programs you can use to get maximum results. Just Google or look on YouTube.

You're better off to use a variety of equipment, machines, weights, classes, etc. Working different groups of muscles and getting cardio from different machines.

As I said, I love the elliptical but I also use the ARC and a treadmill along with weights, sculpting, running, dance, boxing and calisthenics. Keep the body guessing ya know?

I don't have a heart rate monitor yet but I've noticed that if I am using my own elliptical which has my weight and age programmed I get fairly accurate results of the number of calories I am burning. Other machines vary but are actually pretty consistent. I tend to under estimate.

Good luck!