What to look for in a trainer

Options
Hi, all I am going to be trying a new trainer next week and was wondering what questions I should ask him. Also, what do you think makes someone a good trainer?

Replies

• acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    One that will motivate you and keep you committed to your goals. I've had 2 in the past. The first made me feel like we were doing the same thing over and over again and I always felt like I was going to pass out. Then I had another that always mixed things up and she explained what we were working on and pushed me. I saw great results. Ask them questions...about exercises, about nutrition, about motivation. They need to be invested in you and your health...if you don't feel comfortable with them after speaking and a workout then move on...trainers are great when you get the right one but sometimes personalities don't match up and if you don't feel like you are getting 100% out of them when you are giving it your all it isn't a good fit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    find someone who is going to teach you the proper form on compound movements = barbell squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press, rows, pull ups/chin ups…

A program where you are progressively lifting heavier is going to have great long term benefits. Working out in the 3-4 set range for about 6-10 reps each should work well for you .

If the trainer trys to turn you off of compounds then don't hire them and find someone who will …or you can pick up a copy of starting strength and/or new rules of lifting for woman and watch form videos on you tube….

I see the trainers in my gym and they never take any of their clients anywhere near the power rack …and they have their clientele working out with like 5 pound dumbbells doing 20 reps or something stupid….that is just going to waste your time…

train like a beast to look like a beauty…I think is how that saying goes...
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    ^^ lift like a man, look like a goddess. ;)
  • JCLondonUK
    Options
    I've only got very limited experience, having had two sessions last week with my first ever PT, but I can tell you what I have learned so far ...

From reading through previous threads on the topic here, I learned to make my goals very clear, and make sure the PT had heard them and approved. So I specified clearly that I wanted to gain strength through learning compound lifts, and was satisfied when he responded that he thought that was an excellent plan and explained why compound lifts were worthwhile.

In the first session he put me through my paces, so he could begin to judge my fitness and strength (both low!). He was constantly encouraging, but always pushed me further than I would ever have thought I could go. I would have collapsed in a sweaty but self-congratulating heap after 20 minutes if I'd done it at home, but with him I lasted an hour of very hard work - and then collapsed in a sweaty self-congratulatory heap :smile:

Throughout the two sessions we've done, he has explained clearly why the movements are valuable, and why he has chosen them specifically for me. He is very attentive throughout at correcting form, and he makes copious notes as well. I can see that he is really focused on my individual needs, and not just putting me through a generic programme. He is completely focused during the session (not chatting to others or using his mobile) and obviously knowledgable.

For me, anyway, these qualities make him a great PT, and I plan to continue with him, even though I can't really afford it. I don't doubt that I will improve rapidly, learn a lot, and enjoy the process with him, and can't think what else I could want.

Hope that helps a little.
    Good luck!
  • joshlawrence737
    Options
    find someone who is going to teach you the proper form on compound movements = barbell squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press, rows, pull ups/chin ups…

A program where you are progressively lifting heavier is going to have great long term benefits. Working out in the 3-4 set range for about 6-10 reps each should work well for you .

If the trainer trys to turn you off of compounds then don't hire them and find someone who will …or you can pick up a copy of starting strength and/or new rules of lifting for woman and watch form videos on you tube….

I see the trainers in my gym and they never take any of their clients anywhere near the power rack …and they have their clientele working out with like 5 pound dumbbells doing 20 reps or something stupid….that is just going to waste your time…

train like a beast to look like a beauty…I think is how that saying goes...

Exactly right. If this trainer has you doing squats and presses on a bosu ball, run away as fast as you can. Lift heavy, lift compound, lift 3x a week, and you'll get great results. If you leave the session and you don't feel the least bit tired or sore, run away. If he tells you to do 10 reps, and you feel like you can do 20 with the assigned weight, run away. Trainers want your money, so they make you do silly exercises that are easy as to not scare off clients.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    These are the questions I asked my trainer.

I want to work on the main compound lifts, what are they?
    Will you teach me clean and presses?
    Can you help me to climb over an 8 foot wall?