What is going on?

Options
I just gave birth at the end of october to my 6th baby (as a surrogate mother for my friend). I am used to losing weight after giving birth to go back at a healthy BMI. I started 4 weeks ago, counting calories, doing what usually work for me and I was able to lose 3 pounds but now 2 of those pounds came back and the scale is just not moving. Can I hit a plateau right from the start? I am not in starving mode... I am not sure if it could be TOM since I have no idea where I am in my cycle since I just gave birth but i do not think so.... did any of you hit a plateau right from the start? Usually I am breastfeeding and won't try to lose so early after giving birth. I am not quitting, but I feel defeated to do all that and see nothing happen on the scale or how I feel in my pants.

Replies

• Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what's going on w/ but I did want to say that you are wonderful and so unselfish to give a family the gift of a life. God bless you. :flowerforyou:
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Firstly wow surrogate mother for your friend. That's a massive massive thing. I can't even begin to think about the emotions involved.

I am only a Father of two and know what I've picked along that particular journey. It might just be too early. I've read that breast feeding is the fastest way to lose weight after having a baby. That's what you're not doing this time. Also if you've handed the baby over maybe you're not running around like a mad woman as you might otherwise be. That might also account for the fewer loses. Aren't you still producing breast milk? If so then that could be one of the things going on. Have you tried expressing?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Your body just may not be ready to lose weight yet. Especially since things are different this time around. If your body is used to breastfeeding after giving birth your body may just be a little confused. And since you don't normally try to lose weight this early, it simply might not be possible unless you're working out and dieting like a celebrity does.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    If you do have milk, still, can you express it for some other needy child in your area?--Sometimes pediatricians have requests for breast milk for special-needs babies. Or can you share it with your friend for her child? That might help get things started in the weight loss area.
  • jaymac33
    Options
    Well first of all, congrats and bless you for your own family and your gift to another!

You will have to think about how your cycle usually "recovers" after delivery -- my own took about two months to kick back into gear -- but I'm sure you know how much your hormones have to readjust after giving birth. Consider that there might still be a lot of extra water in your system. Also consider looking at what combination of food you are eating (fat, carbs, protein). Maybe shaking up the combinations will help.

Good luck, and don't give up!
  • jocelyne2
    jocelyne2 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Wow !!!!! I have to say you are awesome :smile: You friend is definately very lucky to have you . One thing I have noticed this week for me is that the scale is an EVIL EVIL INVENTION :laugh: This morning I get on the scale which is when they say to weigh and well I was up 3 lbs and then I get on it in the afternoon and boom back down to original weight .For some damn reason my body has to be the opposite of normal I am always lower right before supper . :flowerforyou: