Pilates anyone?

Options
Hello

I will have my first Pilates class today. Yaaaay.... :) I have been pretty much inactive last year and recently started being active again. Have keeping up with cardio but now I feel it's time to add strength training as well. I really don't like the gym suite weights and body pump bulked me up in the past so I thought I would try Pilates.

So I would like to hear how it has worked for you and any tips. And also, how many cals does it burn in an hour (I am not doing it for the cals but I want to log it in later) :)

Thank u

Replies

• nickowastaken
    nickowastaken Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have been doing Body Control Pilates for two and a half years now. I have a number of issues with my spine and strengthening my core has allowed me to lead a normal life again.

Don't expect massive burns from Pilates. MFP suggests 219 cals per hour in the database... sometimes I think this is perhaps a little too much.

As well as mat classes you can also use Pilates equipment like the reformer, the chair and the cadillac. What will you be doing?
  • cardosium
    cardosium Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I will be doing mat based Pilates. Is it good for toning and preventing injuries from other sports?
  • nickowastaken
    nickowastaken Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Pilates will help you with a number of things including improving muscle strength and "tone". It will strengthen your core and a strong core will help with other exercises outside of Pilates. If you're organised in your core you are less likely to injure yourself in other exercises. Many professional athletes use Pilates to enhance their performance as part of their training routine.

Pilates will also:
    - restore flexibility and joint mobility
    - help to correct poor posture
    - improve bone density and joint health
    - improve co-ordination and balance
    - relieve stress and tension
    - help improve circulation
    - help to manage and alleviate back pain
  • cardosium
    cardosium Posts: 25 Member
    Options