No weight loss

Options
Hi
My wife and I are both counting our calories and recording them. I am doing ok but she is just not losing any weight.

She was on a 1600 ish limit but this morning I reworked her goals and according to the fat2fit tools she should be eating about 2000 ish calories.

She is 47, about 5 foot 9, 174 pound and about 39% bf
The tools tell me she should be about 144 pounds.

My question is, is 2000 about right? it sounds an awful lot to be eating to loose weight.

Thanks

Replies

• randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Check her energy expenditure versus intake and make a daily deficit of 1000 calories. Now finding expenditure is somewhat dificult without a HRM. Make sure her activity level is correct and that she's logging absolutely everything she takes in. Women generally have a harder, longer time of losing weight than men so don't compare each other's loss. Do increase your daily activity no matter what your calorie goals are set to. Give each calorie goal change at least a week. She should not: feel really hungry, really thirsty, dizzy, tired, achy and she should see loss if she finds the right balance between nutrition and exercise.

She's also relatively tall so I'm not sure if 144 is a reasonable expectation. At her healthiest and fittest, what was her weight?
  • JWebster7777
    Options
    depends on how active you are, me and my wife have ours set to "sit on your butt all day", lol. However we have a friend, she has been going for over a year strong, lost alot of weight, sits now at about 150 and she can eat over 3000 calories a day and stay there. this also has to do with the fact that she works out two hours a day.
  • gunnparker
    Options
    Thanks guys, I should have said, she does two sessions a week of a boot camp type training, it's called "babes on the run" here and then she does two 40 min sessions of squash.
    She does do a lot of activity so I don't think that is the problem. I thought she may have been under eating and so I uped her calories. On your advise I'll give it a week and check at next weigh in.

I'll have to ask her what her best weight was.

Cheers
  • wtbyerdocmd
    Options
    its not all about calories but type of calories too. She needs to eat clean and every few hours making sure that she has some form of protein. She can try cutting out all processed carbs and get them from low glycemic index fruits, vegetables, and ezekiel bread (even whole wheat is not healthy - people don't get that). You can eat 1500 cal of twinkles or 1500 of healthy foods and get totally different results (despite the new twinkle diet i've heard about - give me a break). Good Luck
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've upped my calories from 1700 to 2000 and I'm now losing about 0.5 lbs a week, whereas before I'd stopped losing.
  • randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    its not all about calories but type of calories too. She needs to eat clean and every few hours making sure that she has some form of protein. She can try cutting out all processed carbs and get them from low glycemic index fruits, vegetables, and ezekiel bread (even whole wheat is not healthy - people don't get that). You can eat 1500 cal of twinkles or 1500 of healthy foods and get totally different results (despite the new twinkle diet i've heard about - give me a break). Good Luck

Check her fuel, sounds like her burn is up there. So like wtbyerdocmd said, make sure she's putting in premium to turbocharge her engines.

But unless it's been a whole month or two with no change up or down in her weight, I wouldn't really worry too much about it yet. Some people have gone quite some time without a change on the scale while noticing their bodies reshape. I haven't really had a huge change on the scale in about a month but I've also developed a lot more leg, ab, back and arm muscle than I had before. (In fact I went up shortly after I really started kicking my workouts into high gear).

On the flipside, if she has always maintained this level of activity, she may need to increase it to see any change from her baseline.
  • gunnparker
    Options
    Thanks everyone. she has had this level of activity for a long time now, I think it might be a year of boot camp and quite a few months of squash now but little change.
    He has drop a dress size maybe but her weight and tummy measurements have not changed.

Cheers