Anyone doing Low Carb or Atkins?

If so.... I would love for you to add me as a friend... I post my food journal daily and would love to have more buddies who also post theirs. I am always looking for new meal and snack ideas... and share mine along with recipes if requested. Ive been doing atkins for almost 2 weeks and am loving it... but notice many of the friends I currently have are on low calorie diets and don't monitor carbs - so having some low carb menus to look at would be most appreciated! Looking forward to kicking some fat with ya :laugh:

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    I've been doing low-carb since the middle of last month (this time). I have a gluten sensitivity and this is the best option for me. Friend request sent!
  • angel5561
    angel5561 Posts: 142 Member
    Im not doing low carb per say but when I can I try and lean towards less carbs ive noticed when I eat more carbs the scale seems to go up anyway Atkins offers a free starter kit in the mail I just got mine it has a carb counter starter book three of their bars and coupons at atkins.com dont know if you got yours but I just thought you might be interested
  • kids183
    kids183 Posts: 204 Member
    Hi there! I've been on low carbs for a month an a half. I've lost 17 pounds. Unfortunately, because of critical people on this site, I don't open my diary to people. Many believe that Atkins isn't the way to go and some have been very cruel about it.

I'd love for your friend addition, but because of past issues, I can't open my diary. I do, however, have many recipes and food ideas to share!

:)
  • LKW59
    LKW59 Posts: 28
    I love Atkins. I did it about 10 years ago when I was 191 and got down to 147. I maintained that weight for about four years and then started eating more carbs and slowly began gaining it back. I am 168 now and trying to lose again. I am not on a no carb, but I watch them closely since I exercise a lot I need a few carbs. Not to mention I am a LOT older now and the weight just won't come off like it did before.
  • I am doing a combination of Atkins '72/LCHF. I have lost 12.5 since Jan 6th. I feel SO MUCH better. No more bloat, indigestion and heartburn. I keep my carbs below 20 (low), protein medium and fat high. I love this WOE! :)
  • JudyKB41
    JudyKB41 Posts: 15
    Doing Atkins and love it. Unfortunately, not losing the pounds but can tell my clothes are getting looser and the belly fat is shrinking. Also, my arthritis is much better so hoping once the snow and ice are gone I can start walking outside. Posted my breakfast this morning and it was overwhelming looking at the amount of fat I consumed even though I know that is the concept of Atkins--lc/hf. It is hard to overcome years on conditioning to eat low cal-low fat.

Would love to see some menus to help me get more variety of food. Guess my food diary can be viewed and it doesn't make a difference if people make rude remarks. Too old to let them bother me. I am raising my grandson and need to get in better shape/health. Please include me in the day to day posts to help me out and hope I can do the same for you.
  • JackieO524
    JackieO524 Posts: 25 Member
    I am type 2 diabetic and the only thing that seems to work for me is low carb - i would love some easy recipes as i work and have two kids
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    I've been low carb / keto since Sept 2012.
    There are some great low carb and keto support forums here on MFP.

Keto Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1143-keto
    Reddit Keto Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1494-reddit-keto
    Low Carb / High Fat: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/7705-low-carb-high-fat-lifestyle
    Low Carber Daily Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

For recipes -
    DJ Foodie
    I Breathe I'm Hungry
    All Day I dream About Food
    Caveman Keto

Good luck!
  • madmish29
    madmish29 Posts: 13
    I have been doing low calorie, but seem to have hit a halt, so i am trying low carb, first day is today and would love to see how others are doing. feel free to add, my diary is open,
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    I'm on and off Keto (generally fluctuating between 20g and 50g net carbs per day). I don't subscribe to Atkins because of all the chemicals they use, but it's the same general idea.

Friend request sent :D
  • madmish29
    madmish29 Posts: 13
    I

Keto Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1143-keto
    Reddit Keto Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1494-reddit-keto
    Low Carb / High Fat: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/7705-low-carb-high-fat-lifestyle
    Low Carber Daily Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

For recipes -
    DJ Foodie
    I Breathe I'm Hungry
    All Day I dream About Food
    Caveman Keto

Good luck!

Thanks for this.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Wow, I feel like a carb freak (I'm on about 100g a day).

I eat primal and am loving it (lost almost 2 stone). I can't share my diary as I do not log my food.

My favourite food at the moment is my homemade chilli (no chilli beans though).

Mince, onions, tin of chopped tomatoes, tomato puree (plenty), 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of hot chilli powder (more or fresh chilli's can be added for extra spice, sprinkle of salt and pepper.

The secret to extra taste is don't drain off too much of the fat.

I normally have mine with mashed sweet potato.

Cheers.
  • Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    I have thyroid disease and try to stay away from gluten and also notice a big difference when I try not to eat a bazillion carbs. Trying to stay under 80 or so a day. Would love some new friends
  • xenabee1
    xenabee1 Posts: 9
    if anyone wants to add me as a friend- I also would love the additional support. I have 60+ lbs to go...
  • ucalegon
    ucalegon Posts: 43 Member
    Keto-er right here. Would love some new friends!
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    LC works for me - I try to stay between 15-30 most days - and an occasional carb back day every 7-10 days. SInce my thyroid removal and developing gluten interolances I tend to shy away from most grain type carbs - Most of my carbs tend to be from veggies although the past few weeks ( 10 days of birthday celebrating) not so great... but holding fast. Feel free to add me... I LOVE to cook and am often trying/testing new things.

V
  • I have been doing low carbs since Christmas. I don't totally cut them out because I don't think I could. I love pasta and very seldom make it at home anymore because when I do I make way more than I should. I will have it occasionally when I dine out, but I don't overdo and will usually cut the meal in half and bring the rest home. I also get my pasta with the lean frozen meals. That way I am only eating a serving and not more. I make a lot of chicken, and other meats or seafood and have veggies with it, no potato or bread. I love raw shrimp and will eat that with some cocktail sauce. I also have started making a lot of cabbage. I boil it with some ham sometimes and other times I just eat the cabbage. It fills me up and isn't many calories, etc. It is very good for you too. I have also been eating more fruit too. At night I will snack on popcorn. It does have carbs, but it is a good source of fiber. My dietician friend said because of the fiber it is a good snack. I will also have celery with a little peanut butter on it. I try to eat foods with protein and fiber. I received a lot of sugary snacks in my stocking from family, so I eat them sparingly. Whatever the serving size is, I cut it in half or lower. I have lost 25 pounds since Christmas. I don't know where because I don't notice it, but others have.
  • I wouldn't say I'm on a low-carb diet, mostly because I can't figure out how people take in so few carbs in a day, can't find foods that are that low in carbs that I could eat! But I do try to avoid carbs as much as possible.

One awesome low-carb snack (though very high in sodium) is beef jerkey! Probably the best low-carb alternative to chips or popcorn or any of that kind of junk food :P
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    I wouldn't say I'm on a low-carb diet, mostly because I can't figure out how people take in so few carbs in a day, can't find foods that are that low in carbs that I could eat! But I do try to avoid carbs as much as possible.

One awesome low-carb snack (though very high in sodium) is beef jerkey! Probably the best low-carb alternative to chips or popcorn or any of that kind of junk food :P

Popcorn isn't bad per se - in fact i eat it a few times a week. but i don't drench it in butter or eat huge theater bags of it. I eat 32 gram (1 ounce) bags of low sodium butter flavoured Microwave stuff - 100 calories - a night time treat for sticking to the goals and getting some exercises. I doe the Same with Chocolate, I have Godiva 72% bars in the cupboard and will eat a square to kill a craving or as a treat 60 calories. I kill the hunger with protein and lots of veg, but leave room for a treat. As long as you are eating at a deficit you will lose (low carb diets you may want to avoid this but i packed in Low carb for simple counting it's working better for me)