How do you know when you're actually hungry

Options
and not just BORED? Like what signals you that you're hungry? Grumbling stomach? Or do you eat just because it's time to eat like every day you have a specific time to eat? Just curious!

Replies

• daniflems
    daniflems Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Personally I believe there is a big difference in actually being hungry and just wanting to eat something.

Being hungry for me is definitely signalled by my stomach. Pangs and grumbles mean I NEED food.

Then there is the thought of the Bear Paw in the cupboard that pops into my head. Suddenly I want to eat that Bear Paw. I keep thinking about it and thus keep wanting to eat it.

Am I actually physically hungry? No. Do I NEED to consume that Bear Paw to sustain myself? No.

This is where willpower needs to step in and sometimes that can be easier than others.

Ultimately what it comes down to is that we have 100 percent control over what goes into our mouth and if we choose to tell ourselves we are hungry when we aren't that's where we get into trouble. I believe this anyways.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    for me, its about 4 hours after my last meal. if i get to looking for something in between those times, i drink some water and wait 30 minutes. if i'm still looking, i'll grab a small snack.

tummy rumbles are a good sign. i'm usually pretty grumbly at that 4 hour mark. about the 3 hour mark i start thinking about, or cooking, what i'm going to have for my meal. right now, its about 3 hours after i ate supper, and i'm thinking about how sad it is that i dont have any good ice cream in the house, especially since i have over 400 calories let till i hit goal, and i really should eat something else.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    I've actually only been hungry a few timed in my life' and it's not a friendly place to spend any length of time in.
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    if you're truly willing to enjoy and eat something PLAIN like a baked chicken breast, carrots, or broccoli and not something fast and quick like bread, chocolate, granola bars, etc... if you wouldn't eat or don't feel like eating the plain healthy foods and you rather eat the quick more processed foods than you're not really hungry.
  • eccentric88
    eccentric88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    And my stomach is growling and its late at night after 9 pm I do not wish to eat anything. So I endure...then well my hunger and my want for sugar supersede will power. I will just eat a bit of this chocolate...well that was the worse move I made.

They say the reason that chocolate is so fatting for you is that you can consume vastly larger amounts of it than any other foods before feeling full. So I inhaled in one day the 300gram bar opps.

But what I did not calculate was that I did 2 hrs of exersize that day and did not relize that I would be hungrier than normal. I think that if I have some vegies and two bites of a protein like meat or a bean patty (not sure about that one, a new idea) than I would have not failed my self.

I have no quick foods around except the occational treat I get and well I see that is not the best idea, I now see that I do not have any self control here. So I think I will need to put up some quick foods for the hungry moment that are more suitable..I am up for ideas if anyone has any.

The other thing is I seem to be in the habit for the past 2 wks or so of eating before bed. My room is cold and this is now not my best move, but at least I am keeping warm and are not so sore.. up for ideas on this one too.

thanks
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    A trick I learned on here for identifying hunger versus a desire to eat...imagine a bunch of celery. Do I want to eat this celery? Yes? I'm hungry. No? Not so much.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    And my stomach is growling and its late at night after 9 pm I do not wish to eat anything. So I endure...then well my hunger and my want for sugar supersede will power. I will just eat a bit of this chocolate...well that was the worse move I made.

They say the reason that chocolate is so fatting for you is that you can consume vastly larger amounts of it than any other foods before feeling full. So I inhaled in one day the 300gram bar opps.

But what I did not calculate was that I did 2 hrs of exersize that day and did not relize that I would be hungrier than normal. I think that if I have some vegies and two bites of a protein like meat or a bean patty (not sure about that one, a new idea) than I would have not failed my self.

I have no quick foods around except the occational treat I get and well I see that is not the best idea, I now see that I do not have any self control here. So I think I will need to put up some quick foods for the hungry moment that are more suitable..I am up for ideas if anyone has any.

The other thing is I seem to be in the habit for the past 2 wks or so of eating before bed. My room is cold and this is now not my best move, but at least I am keeping warm and are not so sore.. up for ideas on this one too.

thanks

Let me be very, very clear.

If you are hungry - if your stomach is growling like this - then you SHOULD EAT! Always. Every time. There's no reason to "endure".

None of this is about starving yourself, it's simply about making better choices when you do eat. People develop unhealthy relationships with food when they deprive themselves of nourishment when their body is telling them they need it. Your body knows more about what it needs than you do. Listen.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    and not just BORED? Like what signals you that you're hungry? Grumbling stomach? Or do you eat just because it's time to eat like every day you have a specific time to eat? Just curious!

Simple: belly hunger vs. head hunger

Always listen to the fomer, always avoid the latter...