bodyweight vs free weights

Options
which will give me better results in terms of "toning and becoming lean?

Replies

• RayBoy76
    RayBoy76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Either one will work. Focus on lighter weight and more reps. Cardio is a must for burning calories as well.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Either one will work. Focus on lighter weight and more reps. Cardio is a must for burning calories as well.

Weights bore me to death so now I just do body weight exercises. Here is a link for multiple exercises. http://workoutseries.com/bodyweightbook/

I thought regular burpees were hard and this guy has you doing burpee jumping jacks as well. The exercises are for cardio and strength.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Both ae good! I warm up with body weight exercises like push up, dips, lunges. all good for ya!
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    which will give me better results in terms of "toning and becoming lean?

Whichever one you like the best and will do consistently and for the long haul... As one of the posters said, keep increasing sets and reps on whichever you choose and maybe even think about alternating if the opportunity exists.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    They work the same if you are challenging your muscles enough. Bodyweight once a person gets stronger starts requiring awkward positions to get the load on, but I like the awkward positions :D

But go heavy, not light. Shoot for exercises that feel really hard to do after a handful or two of reps. If you are able to do a lot of reps of anything, it doesn't change your looks much. The weight isn't heavy enough to change your muscle that way (although the repetition increases your muscle endurance on that move).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You ask the same questions over & over. Read the answers that have already been given
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

No, don't focus on lighter weight and more reps to "tone". No cardio isn't a must to burn calories.

Calorie deficit + Heavy lifts to preserve lean mass = all you need.

Edit - I guess I should also mention having your macro's set up correctly with sufficient minimal levels or protein and fat too...
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options

No, don't focus on lighter weight and more reps to "tone". No cardio isn't a must to burn calories.

^that. "Tone" is a made up commercialized word to cater to women who think lifting will make them bulky. Lift heavy and gain a faster metabolism, lose fat, and look trim and "toned".
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Both work. It is up to you to decide. With free weights it is more straightforward in how to progress. With bodyweight, you need to know how to make an exercise more difficult and the more difficult variations when the initial ones become too easy.

As stated, cardio is not necessary for weight loss, that is primarily diet, by which I mean calories.

Also, don't do high reps, instead focus on exercises that really challenge you doing 5-12 reps in general.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

^that. "Tone" is a made up commercialized word to cater to women who think lifting will make them bulky. Lift heavy and gain a faster metabolism, lose fat, and look trim and "toned".

Well put
  • RayBoy76
    Options

Edit - I guess I should also mention having your macro's set up correctly with sufficient minimal levels or protein and fat too...

Okay, must is the incorrect wording. I just find cardio as the most efficient way to burn calories. Unless you are trying to build muscle, I see no reason to lift heavy. Yes, calorie deficient is the only way to lose weight, hence fat.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Okay, must is the incorrect wording. I just find cardio as the most efficient way to burn calories. Unless you are trying to build muscle, I see no reason to lift heavy. Yes, calorie deficient is the only way to lose weight, hence fat.

The question is what do you want to look like? Do you want to look like the cover model on Runner's World**, or do you want to look like the cover model on M&F hers**? The follow the plan based on how you want to look.

**Yes I know, they are photoshopped... but you can tell the differences in muscle mass and where it is between the 2.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

How about for general strength and function?
  • RayBoy76
    Options
    How about for general strength and function?

Not sure what you mean there. Personally, I lift for about 30 minutes per session (10-15 reps, 9 sets per muscle group) and run between 30-60 minutes five times a week. I think my strength and function are fine. It is just personal preference as to what you want your body to look like. I prefer the lean look (Mcconaughey) to the bulky look. (Schwarzenegger).
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    You're not building muscle while lifting heavy in a deficit, but you can add strength and preserve lean mass.