Juicing question - carbs?

Options
My husband and I have a green juice in the morning upon waking. Usually it consists of a combo of cucumber, kale, spinach, half a beet, some ginger, and one random fruit to make it taste slightly less terrible. I've always heard great things about juicing, and it really forces us to cram veggies into our diet when we otherwise would have difficulty doing so.

I was on my myfitnesspal phone app this morning and discovered the little tool that gives you a pie graph of your calorie breakdown. I was shocked to see how HIGH my carb intake is. I rarely eat the well known carbs (bread products and pasta), and when I checked into it, I was surprised to discover that the bulk of my carbs are coming from my morning juice. Also, crazy high sodium??

Pardon my ignorance, but I never connected vegetables with being carbs/sodium. What gives? Am I just a nutritional idiot? =) Should I NOT be juicing? My husband is totally into it for his own health issues, so it's really become a staple of our day-to-day life. Plus, like I said, it's the easiest way we've found to cram veggie intake into our lives, which is important for him.

Are these possibly good carbs? Or could this be the reason I can't seem to lose a damn pound? =P

Replies

• Junctionbox
    Junctionbox Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do the same every morning, but like you said it is good carbs so don't stress as long as it fits in your macros. I've found my overall health is better and things that men never normally notice (like nails and skin) are improved. It's definitely better to have the greens than not to have them. I tend to load up the protein during lunch and dinner to balance it out.

As for sodium, there is some in veg but not that much in the grand scheme of things. A shedload less than any processed meals for sure.
  • Speakaboo
    Speakaboo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I also noticed a huge improvement in skin/hair/nail health with the juicing, and we've only been at it a couple of months!

I swear the "default" juice I chose from the food list must have the sodium listed wrong. I tried a few other ones, and they're all showing a surprising amount of sodium, though. So it must be right?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a green juice in the morning upon waking. Usually it consists of a combo of cucumber, kale, spinach, half a beet, some ginger, and one random fruit to make it taste slightly less terrible. I've always heard great things about juicing, and it really forces us to cram veggies into our diet when we otherwise would have difficulty doing so.

I was on my myfitnesspal phone app this morning and discovered the little tool that gives you a pie graph of your calorie breakdown. I was shocked to see how HIGH my carb intake is. I rarely eat the well known carbs (bread products and pasta), and when I checked into it, I was surprised to discover that the bulk of my carbs are coming from my morning juice. Also, crazy high sodium??

Pardon my ignorance, but I never connected vegetables with being carbs/sodium. What gives? Am I just a nutritional idiot? =) Should I NOT be juicing? My husband is totally into it for his own health issues, so it's really become a staple of our day-to-day life. Plus, like I said, it's the easiest way we've found to cram veggie intake into our lives, which is important for him.

Are these possibly good carbs? Or could this be the reason I can't seem to lose a damn pound? =P

Carbs are not good or bad. The reason why you are not losing weight is likely overeating or you're putting on a ton of muscle from juicing
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

Carbs are not good or bad. The reason why you are not losing weight is likely overeating or you're putting on a ton of muscle from juicing

Mixing up the juicing fella :laugh:
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

Not an idiot - learning! Yes veg are carbs and carbs are ALL good and most importantly needed!
    don't be scared to eat them bad boys - they'll do you good!