Anyone else wake up with this????

Options
Aloha,

This morning I woke up with my left (dominant) shoulder in pain. I can barely lift my arm higher than my breast level. Wish assistance of my other arm, I can raise it over my head and to full range of motion, but it's painful. I'm hoping I slept on it wrong. I did my usual Chest and Tri's routine yesterday. The most painful is when I raise my arm (imagine both arms like a band conductor when he's conducting and raising his arms), when I get parallel to the breast level my shoulder is screaming profanities at me. One of my chest exercises was the Pectoral Fly and when I demonstrate that move right now, minus the weights that's where the pain is the most. Anyhow...I hurt and want a shoulder rub and a hug....:glasses: :sad:

Replies

• LAwoman14
    LAwoman14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I wake up all the time with right shoulder pain,mainly cuz i favor my right-side for sleeping.I can't sleep on my left-side too long,nor on my back or stomach.Keep goin to the right lol Also frequent pinched nerves as a result.Sucks :( But i suffer from joint pain and Bursitis,so maybe that contributes as well. I used to be able to do weight training back when i was in my 20s n 30s,i'd kill myself if i did that now,haha:laugh: I'm gonna start doing some low impact arm and shoulder exercises using resistance bands for starters,see how that goes.Hope u get some relief (((Huggies))) :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you really pushed beyond your limits with weight training you could have rhabdomyolysis. Or you could have pinched a nerve. If it doesn't get better throughout the day, I would suggest getting it checked out.

But, more likely it's just the combination of DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and sleeping on it wrong.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your supraspinatus muscle. Get a lacrosse ball and roll on it around your shoulder blade on the side that hurts.
  • KandiLicious
    KandiLicious Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I had a minor rotator cuff tear...and that is exactly how mine felt.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I know a handful of people that have had rotator cuff injuries, and what OP is describing sounds just like their symptoms.

OP - go see a doctor.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Since you're a kind of sick:

Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur.
    Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.

OP: Sorry for your pain. It indeed sounds rotator cuffy. I think a trip to the doctor is a good place to start.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    My wife ended up with the same problem, doctor said it was bursitis. Ice morning and evening for 20 min for 4 days then switch to heat. Don't do anything that hurts. Switch everything to the other hand as much as possible. Good luck!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

rotator cuff tear, check by reaching in your back pocket, if you feel pain, guess what...probably a minor tear, if you cannot reach back at all probably more serious....good luck.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options

I know a handful of people that have had rotator cuff injuries, and what OP is describing sounds just like their symptoms.

OP - go see a doctor.

This! OP, I tore a tendon in the front part of my shoulder and overextended my rotator cuff at the same time, and you've just described exactly what mine felt like. See a doctor and/or a physio if you can, they'll be able to tell you how to recover, and then what to do to prevent injury again.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    It could be a minor strain of the supraspinatus (which is one of the rotator cuff muscles). It could be trigger point in the supraspinatus. It could be shoulder impingement. What I would do is rest for a few days. Massage the area around your scapula with a lacrosse ball. If you come across muscle knots back there focus on those. If it improves than probably not a big deal. If it continues to hurt then go to an orthopedic surgeon for an evaluation.

If it is just some inflammation then rest, light stretching and massage will make it go away.
    If it is a minor tear then physical therapy will most likely fix
    If it is impingement physical therapy can fix.
    If it is a major tear then surgery.
  • Thank you all so much! I'm going to rest it the next two days and hot tub it, get a massage, taking Mobic, oddly enough I already have an orthopedic surgeon who just treated my hip....thanks!
  • fergie1967runner1
    fergie1967runner1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree with 212019156 use a lacrosse ball if you can't find one a racquet ball with be better than nothing. You need to get deep into the tissues.