Motivation for a Special Day?

I just realized that part of what's keeping me accountable and keeping moving each day is looking towards my extended family's yearly Beach Gathering. While I adore family time and hanging out at the beach, the week I spend there is always stressful since that's when my family gets to notice my picky eating and I always stay overly covered so I don't need to see my belly fat.

With the help of MFP, I've been expanding my eating habits and working out daily, plus being more aware of what I eat. I'm hoping by August there'll be a sizable difference that my family will even be able to notice, or at the very least I'll be more comfortable with my body and my eating habits. I'm pretty excited about the person I'll be in August if I keep everything up.

Is there a day in the short term or long term future that you're looking forward to as part of your motivation to get healthy?

Replies

• My motivation for actually doing something about my weight, rather than just thinking about doing something, was realising in January that my brothers wedding was in six months and there's no way I can avoid being in at least some of the photo's.

I'm not particularly photogenic anyway, but losing a couple of stone will at least give me a better selection of dresses to pick from, and look terrible in the pictures in!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    my wedding is coming up in about 2 months, so of coarse I want to look the best I can for that. Unfortunately it is too soon for me to realistically reach my goal weight, but I want to start trainng for a half marathon and am falling in love with running, so thats an nice reason to keep losing as well as great way to help me lose, win-win!
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    I started last month hoping to drop a few pounds for a costume party I have this weekend where I am showing an unusual amount of skin. (The theme is animation, and I'm going as Poison Ivy. Eek!) That was my short-term goal, and I'm thrilled to say that of my five-pound goal, I lost 9.5! Woo!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    I would love to be able to go running with my kids this summer. My 2 younger one (17 & 18) love running and I would love to be able to join them. A bit further out my 25th anniversary is next year and I would love to fit back in my wedding dress.
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    After living in the Polar Vortex for the last 5 months ( -28 today yikes) I am practically giggly thinking about warm weather and bathing suit season. Last summer, 70 lbs heavier, I stayed away from the beach. Not this summer! While I'm not sporting a rockin' body, I am exceedingly more comfortable in my own skin and am looking forward to long days at the beach with my kids.
  • Thank you for posting this, I am trying to slim down for our annual mother daughter trip to Walt Disney World, I really would like to be comfortable being in pictures rather than hiding in them. I need some help staying motivated and not feeling defeated, is there something you use? I am looking forward to this journey and am excited to be back here. My goal is at least 20 pounds by July 10.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    I've got a Vegas trip in April, I'll be nowhere near goal weight, but I'm trying to up my endurance so I'll be able to walk longer and not get as sore as I did last time. I could barely move after the first day.
  • whollybologna
    whollybologna Posts: 87 Member
    I was training for a 5k in September, but I can't do it this year because of stuff at work, I'm going to keep running tho, and there's a bike-a-thon in October that I'm going to be training for too.

as for short term, I'm going to see my family in a few weeks and I'd like to lose weight to show them I can. I'm sick of being the biggest one in the family pictures. something has to change.