Overweight BECAUSE of fitness program?!

Options
Hi, everyone --

I'm 5'3" and typically 133-ish pounds. I started off the year at 138 with the goal of re-losing those 5 lbs. My typical routine is 3 days cardio, 2 days weights, and some yoga mixed in. For a change, I started a fitness program that combines weights and cardio (JNL Fusion) and have stuck to it like glue for the last 6 weeks.

I've lost 7" all over, my resting heart rate has dropped from 70 to 64, and even my blood pressure (totally fine to begin with) has improved. However, I now weigh 142 lbs. I realize it's from muscle and that all of my other indicators are great, but this puts my BMI in the overweight range... and almost doubles my original 5 lb weight loss goal.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get the scale pointed back in the right direction?

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Stop using the scale as your sole indicator of success.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Who cares about BMI if what you've gained is muscle weight? I'm sure your body fat percentage has decreased and that beats any number on the scale or BMI.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    BMI doesn't really include enough factors to be that accurate. Weight vs height is it, yet people come in all different shapes and with different fitness goals. Most bodybuilders are "obese" on BMI despite having a pretty low BF%. My advice, if you are happy with your body and living healthy then don't stress about 5lbs on the scale.
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    BMI is total crap and has no point of being used for anyone who is involved in any sort of physical activity. Don't pay any attention to BMI or your weight for that matter. It is all about YOU and how YOU feel and look. If you have lost 7" then that is awesome and you should be proud of yourself. Don't let your life be ruled by something as silly as a piece of plastic with some springs in it that shows you some numbers...
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    So, you have lost inches, improved numerous health markers and you still think a number on a scale will be a great marker of overall health (much like BMI)? My guess is that you are seeing better definition in how you look. Ditch the scale and go with how you feel about your body and the amazing health benefits you are seeing.
  • ashleyrb927
    Options
    I'm sure my body fat percentage has decreased from where I started in January; but in October, I was fit and 130-135 lbs. Now, I'm fit... but 10 lbs heavier. I'm not a body-builder and have no desire to be. I'm not using the scale as my *only* measure of success, I just want my "old" fit body back, not the new version.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I would rather lose inches than pounds any day, as it's inches lost that get me back into my favourite jeans. I'd not worry too much on BMI - it's just a guide really, and there's some great articles on how some people based on their height/muscle mass are considered 'overweight' on the BMI scale, including some professional athletes - example would be Usain Bolt, who according to BMI is overweight!! The article below might help a little.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/255712.php
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I'm sure my body fat percentage has decreased from where I started in January; but in October, I was fit and 130-135 lbs. Now, I'm fit... but 10 lbs heavier. I'm not a body-builder and have no desire to be. I'm not using the scale as my *only* measure of success, I just want my "old" fit body back, not the new version.
    You really just need to eat a calorie deficit, how much you weigh has little to do with what program you're doing.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing... sounds like you are doing good work on the fitness front but I'll tell you what... you haven't put on 4 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks. Newbies to the lifting/exercise gain may be able to put on - at most, and this is with serious effort - 1 lb of muscle a month. People who have been working out or fit before that are probably lucky to put on a 1/2 lb of muscle a month. And again... these stats are for people who train daily, constantly adjust for adaption, and scarf down a huge amount of protein and a caloric excess of 4-500 calories a day.

Now I am not saying you have gained 4 lbs of fat in 6 weeks either... probably a considerable amount of it is water weight or just natural fluctuation in your body weight (i.e. being female... I feel your pain). I worry though when people say things like "muscle weighs more than fat" and "I know it's just muscle" because it is much harder to put on muscle than this sort of folk wisdom would imply. Truth is... if you exercise more you are also - unless you completely ignore your body's needs and wants - going to be eating more and unless you are training an enormous amount or really pushing yourself, you are likely to gain weight during an exercise program! So your original title is not totally off point.

This all goes to say that your expectations and goals when you exercise might need to be re-evaluated. You acknowledged that your HR & blood pressure are vastly improved and that you feel tighter and more toned... this is all awesome news and these are the sorts of things that training will do for you. I say keep it up! These gains vastly outweigh (no pun intended) any moderate fluctuation in your weight.

One final point... everyone is correct in saying that BMI is crap. Two reasons for this - (1) it does not account for fitness or health in any way... just raw body weight. According to BMI charts, I am 'overweight'... I spend 14+ hours a week training (for a goal... not just because I'm crazy) and have less than 17% body fat. (2) the BMI charts were not designed to diagnose people as being overweight... as you can read on the Wiki page (and is discussed in numerous documentaries on the weight loss industry) - "'BMI' provides a simple numeric measure of a person's thickness or thinness, allowing health professionals to discuss overweight and underweight problems more objectively with their patients. However, BMI has become controversial because many people, including physicians, have come to rely on its apparent numerical authority for medical diagnosis, but that was never the BMI's purpose; it is meant to be used as a simple means of classifying sedentary (physically inactive) individuals, or rather, populations, with an average body composition." So basically BMI may be useful if you are sedentary... but not so much if you are active.
  • ashleyrb927
    Options
    Exactly! There's NO way that I've gone from moderate exerciser to body-builder in 6 weeks. I'm not an Olympic athlete.... I'm just a 29 year-old that wanted to fit back into my skinny jeans.

I'm worried that when I stop this program, I'll be stuck with 10 extra pounds that I didn't have 6 months ago and no clear path to get back to where I used to be. I'll focus on the calorie deficit and probably guzzling more water to get rid of the water retention.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    BMI is a guide and not designed to be used in isolation. As all your other indicators are very good stop worrying about BMI and if you have to buy new jeans but are overall healthier and fitter thats a good thing even if the jeans are bigger. You're obsessing over small details and not looking at the whole picture
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Drop your cals/thread.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1 - BF% is a better indicator...BMI doesn't take into account build

2 - Sorry...you did not gain 10 lbs of muscle...you just didn't

3 - If you inches are indeed decreasing and your weight has increased, it is due to fluid retention and/or excess waste in your system; exercise causes your body and tissues to break down..these require repair...fluids are retained to aid in said repair.

4- are you weighing yourself at the same time, same day, and under same conditions? Natural body weight fluctuations can easily be 5 Lbs day to day. Most people weigh in the morning first thing after they have relieved themselves and before consumption of food or beverage. If you have excess waste in your system, that weighs something...if you've eaten 2 Lbs of food, guess what...you're going to be about 2 Lbs heavier. If you've just worked out rigorously it is highly likely that your muscles will be saturated with fluids (which is what gives you that "pumped" look).

5 - It's not muscle...did I already say that?
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Options

3 - If you inches are indeed decreasing and your weight has increased, it is due to fluid retention and/or excess waste in your system; exercise causes your body and tissues to break down..these require repair...fluids are retained to aid in said repair.

4- are you weighing yourself at the same time, same day, and under same conditions? Natural body weight fluctuations can easily be 5 Lbs day to day. Most people weigh in the morning first thing after they have relieved themselves and before consumption of food or beverage. If you have excess waste in your system, that weighs something...if you've eaten 2 Lbs of food, guess what...you're going to be about 2 Lbs heavier. If you've just worked out rigorously it is highly likely that your muscles will be saturated with fluids (which is what gives you that "pumped" look).

Well+played+OP+well+played+_81520922a94f22b9d1623cc8675498f1.png
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

But... but... Your old body had 7 more inches on it!
  • ashleyrb927
    Options

1. Understood

2. Never said I did. I'm just saying that 5 lbs came from "Let's be a lazy, cookie-popping slob over the holidays"; and the other 5 have come from somewhere in the last 6 weeks -- probably water retention and some muscle (and no, not 5 lbs of it).

3. Thank you. This was actually helpful

4. Yep, Friday mornings, first thing in the am

5. Point already made -- no need to repeat.
  • ashleyrb927
    Options

But... but... Your old body had 7 more inches on it!

But... but... it didn't! In October, each thigh was a 1/2" smaller, and my waist was 1/2" smaller. So I'm 1 1/2" bigger but 10 lbs. heavier now than I was less than 5 months ago.

Am I really the ONLY one on here that finds that frustrating?
  • MANDEEx88
    MANDEEx88 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When you say "need to eat a calorie deficit", what exactly does that mean?

I am new and still learning this stuff.

Thanks in advance.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    When you say "need to eat a calorie deficit", what exactly does that mean?

I am new and still learning this stuff.

Thanks in advance.
    Your body burns a certain number of calories every day depending on your age, weight, gender, activity level, etc. If you want to lose weight, the calories you consume has to be less than that. If you consume more, you will gain weight.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

2. Never said I did. I'm just saying that 5 lbs came from "Let's be a lazy, cookie-popping slob over the holidays"; and the other 5 have come from somewhere in the last 6 weeks -- probably water retention and some muscle (and no, not 5 lbs of it).

2 - Yes, you did. In your OP:
    ...However, I now weigh 142 lbs. I realize it's from muscle...

With your routine, I'll guarantee none of it is muscle.