Weight Watchers

So I have been doing MyFitnessPal as my strict method of dieting for over a year now and had little success with it because I had trouble keeping personal motivation to log and track and stick with it. I joined Weight Watchers at the beginning of the year and so far have had a lot of success. Currently I'm tracking both in Weight Watchers and in MFP, because I love the people in the MFP community.

Looking to see if there are any other WW people out in MFP land! Would love to hear your thoughts about the two programs and get some support. Please feel free to comment or add me.

Replies

• JenJBS
    JenJBS Posts: 83
    I'm just like you. I love the people here in MFP, but am traking Points and losing weight in WW. :-)
  • I have done Weight Watchers before with a lot of success. I joined back but am finding myself loving all the extra information MFP gives me, breaking down the nutrition more. I am a little worried as I try to compare the numbers on whether sticking with MFP will give me the same success. This is my first week. If I don't see the normal first week weight loss that I have gotten in the past with Weight Watchers then I will probably go back to tracking only through them. It seems like I am eating less with MFP so I feel like it should still be a good loss. I'm a little worried, sorry to ramble :-) Good luck with Weight Watchers, it has always worked wonderfully for me.
  • I am using Weight Watchers old program (from like 2008) since that was the one program I actually got down to my goal weight on. I tried this new program (PointPlus) but I wasn't losing as quickly (I was only losing ounces, not even 1/2 a pound a week) as I had on the old program or even MFP alone. So I quit, dug out my old material, and decided to use that program and track here in MFP since their food database is sooooo much better than WW's ever was! I also like the breakdown of nutrients better here in MFP. And wouldn't you know it, I started losing a lbs a week again!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    I lost quite a bit in 2004 doing WW. But, I tried the newer program and I think the unlimited fruits didn't work for me. I went crazy on pineapple and mangoes.
    Do whatever works for you.
  • healthyme79
    healthyme79 Posts: 21 Member
    I'm thinking about doing WW again too. I did it back in 2011-2012. I was getting tired of it and didn't have a great deal of success but I did better on WW than on here. I love the people on here too! I feel like I'm at a different place in my life to focus too. I started a new job in 2011 and grad school in 2012 so that was a huge adjustment and I was trying to loose weight at the same time. Not and excuse but that's what was happening.

I feel like I have more time to do this. Plus 2 co-workers are on WW. I'm debating on if I should go on WW again with the meetings.

What are your thoughts?
  • jwebb00
    jwebb00 Posts: 1 Member
    I had a lot of success attending Weight Watchers meetings in 2009, losing 50 lbs. Due to health reasons and general laziness, I gained all of it back. About a week ago, I rejoined Weight Watchers, this time doing the online version. I decided that if I don't lose 1-2 lbs a week, after a month I'll switch from the online version to attending meetings again. The first week was a success, losing 4 lbs. I'm a yo-yo dieter, so while it may sound like a big, scary loss, I know better. Its the first week, so it is likely mostly water.

I'm hoping to find some friends here to help keep me on plan.
  • kaustin515
    kaustin515 Posts: 18 Member
    I just signed up for WW yesterday and am attending meetings. I am at a loss for how to track. I have to say after using MFP off and on for a year I HATE WW tracker. There are so few choices and I barcode scanned my oatmeal today and it had no hits. MFP has such an amazing catalog of foods so how are you all tracking your points? My idea at this point is to log my foods into MFP and then convert into points based off the MFP macros. My first attempt at this was shocking. By logging on WW I ended up with 36 points for my day. When I entered the macros from MFP into the calculator on WW I got 41 points. That's a big difference. Any thoughts or advice or tips? I should add that I used WW in the past and lost 25lbs in 5 months (all gained back after having a baby and over 5 years). I have been on MFP for about a year and lost around 30lbs.
  • I did WW and initially lost 40 lbs, this put me right at my normal BMI which I loved. I got a lot of success from doing BOTH MFP and WW. However, WW cancels your membership once you become pregnant (I'm assuming there is a long law suit history somewhere) but they pretty much disowned me and left me with the advise to nourish my body.
    Needless to say I was crushed and went into a tailspin. I gained 70lbs on my first pregnancy and am still 20 lbs over what I was when I found out I was pregnant. I won't go back to WW because I felt like their motto of "It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle" was a complete joke and I lost all confidence in them. When women are pregnant is when they need the most support in eating healthy, not being shunned like WW does.
  • mkemmis73
    mkemmis73 Posts: 29 Member
    I've been doing WW on my own for the past 5 weeks and having good success with it. I've decided I want to track the calories of what I'm eating as well as the points to see how it compares, so I've started keeping my log here too. I have to say I love the database here, it seems I can find everything. I use the stats from here to help calculate my points too. I like doing both. If something changes and I stop losing then I'll re-evaluate then.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    I did so well with WW before (back in 2001) and again in 2003 - but have gained it all back and then some. What do your calories come out to on MFP if you stay within your daily points? My daily points for the new plan are 26 per day...
  • FootballKate1
    FootballKate1 Posts: 14 Member
    I have been doing low carb but joined WW last week because my mom and 2 nieces (they all live with me) joined and wanted me to go with them to help with the points and the food and to have fun together. I decided to try the points for a month and see which works better for me. I was losing on the low carb and was satisfied each day. I seem to be losing on the points as well, even with adding carbs into my diet, and I am satisfied on this so far as well.

The only problem on MFP is they don't have a fiber count on the foods, which you need to count points. Just for fun, I went back to my low carb food diary and calculated my points (using 0 as fiber count) and everyday I was eating about 10 less points than WW says I should be eating.

I love this site and really like logging and tracking on here and even though I don't post often, I enjoy reading the message boards and get a lot of inspiration from everyone on here.

So basically, I am no help - lol. I am still figuring my way too but I say find a way to make whatever you do fit into this MFP site. I think this will help us be successful.
  • FootballKate1
    FootballKate1 Posts: 14 Member
    I did WW and initially lost 40 lbs, this put me right at my normal BMI which I loved. I got a lot of success from doing BOTH MFP and WW. However, WW cancels your membership once you become pregnant (I'm assuming there is a long law suit history somewhere) but they pretty much disowned me and left me with the advise to nourish my body.
    Needless to say I was crushed and went into a tailspin. I gained 70lbs on my first pregnancy and am still 20 lbs over what I was when I found out I was pregnant. I won't go back to WW because I felt like their motto of "It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle" was a complete joke and I lost all confidence in them. When women are pregnant is when they need the most support in eating healthy, not being shunned like WW does.

You have to be right when you say there must be a lawsuit because I belonged to WW when I was pregnant over 23 yrs ago and they modified my program to add more milk, etc. They were wonderful and I lost 50 lbs. I always say I need to be pregnant for about 3 yrs so I can lose all the weight I need to - lol.

Sorry to hear you did not get help - but you will be successful now - good luck!
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    I've done WW so many times, some with success and other times not. My last time was 2 years ago when I lost 46 lbs. only to gain it all back plus 4. The following year the at-work program started up again, but I didn't lose any weight and now here I am with MFP. The progress is slow and so I am going to convert my WW points to MFP calories. The difference is only 100 daily calories less, so it'll be interesting to see what kind of progress I make.

I have to say, MFP's app is so much more user-friendly than WW's. No converting calories to points or using a separate barcode scanner that doesn't recognize half of the products you need to track.
  • I went back to Weight Watchers a few weeks ago. So far it's working good. It's nice to be part of a group that is in my area :)
  • newgirlwalking
    newgirlwalking Posts: 7 Member
    I'm doing ww too, but joined mfp for the added support. I dont go to meetings, but know the program well and use the 'pts plus diary' app. Best 1.99 i've ever spent-and doesn't crash non stop like the actual ww app, but works exactly the same.
    I would also like to start tracking calories on mfp as well, but for on the go ww is so familiar to me already.
  • newgirlwalking
    newgirlwalking Posts: 7 Member
    Oh, also, when I got pregnant, i was going to meetings, and they just put my membership on hold. So i could rejoin whenever i wanted without paying a registration fee.
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Just re-joined WW yesterday and wouldn't mind having a few new friends that understand what I am doing....here or over at WW.:happy: