almost out of calories!!!!

Options
I had some "extra" things in my diet today. I really wasn't aware of how many calories there were in those "innocent" extras. My question is I only have 35 calories left today. Do I just suck it up and say oh well or do I try to earn more calories through exercise? If I do earn more calories through exercise I'm thinking I won't lose weight if I eat more.

Replies

• jessicahill530
    jessicahill530 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's just one day. Don't get hung up on it. We all have those days that we go over. Don't skip a meal because you don't have any calories left, that is a great way to create a horrible relationship with food. If you have the time to exercise and earn some calories back, the do that and if not, then don't. One day is not going to make or break this journey.
  • blessedwith3boys
    blessedwith3boys Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks! I'm such a perfectionist that I want everything to be perfect including the calories in my food diary! I will try to get in more exercise today besides just cleaning.
  • 4MissRose
    Options
    You can try to earn more calories through exercise but regardless of what you earn, don't stop youself from eating a scheduled meal. Choose a healthy option and have your meal as usual. You don't have to starve youself to keep your goals. Learn from today and tomorrow is another day.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    think about how you were blindly eating before, and now you are aware of what you are consuming daily. you might be over by 35 calories today, but think about what you were eating before. I take these types of days as learning curves and then just make sure i don't repeat them!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eat normal the rest of the day. If you can get in a workout to try to offset some of the extra calories, fine. You could also eat a little less over the next few days to account for it. Look at your weekly average, not just one day.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    How about exercising, to create new calories.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If I do earn more calories through exercise I'm thinking I won't lose weight if I eat more.
    That's incorrect, assuming that you're using MFP's numbers and method. MFP's NEAT method gives you a built-in deficit and expects you to eat back your exercise calories.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    Maybe try looking at your weekly deficit and see how well you are doing overall.
  • summer721
    summer721 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What the NEAT Method .. I have the same issue ..I can go l to lunch and easily eat my 1200 calories w/ no problem ..Any suggestions I would gladly take. I even find I'm going over
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What the NEAT Method .. I have the same issue ..I can go l to lunch and easily eat my 1200 calories w/ no problem ..Any suggestions I would gladly take. I even find I'm going over

NEAT Method is the one that MFP uses. It means Non-Exercise-Activity-Thermogenesis. It is all of the calories you need in a day for ordinary life, not including exercise you specifically do for exercise.

With this method, you would lose weight if you could do no exercise. When you do exercise, you need more food for fuel.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

MFP uses NEAT .....you put in height, weight, activity level (not exercise) .....# of pounds you want to lose each week***.....and MFP gives you a goal.

Whenever you log exercise MFP gives you an estimated calorie burn.....and adds that to your daily total. The number is added to get back to 1200

Example .......eat 1600 ....exercise 250 = 1,350 NET

*** Number of pounds per week......many people want to lose weight as quickly as possible.....and 1200 is (likely) the result.....it's as low as MFP will ever go....not a statement about what's best for the individual.

If your having a hard time with 1200 (I know I would) .....see if your goal falls in here:

Pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    Options

You need to eat somewhere else for lunch. 1200 for a lunch is a lot of high calorie food.