Gall bladder surgery

Options
2»

Replies

• KerriMx5
    KerriMx5 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I had mine out i Dec. It was really bad for me and because of that my recovery has taken way longer then I was told by the nurse when I was sent home. That said I didn't get a lot of post op instructions and my follow up wasn't very detailed either. My advice is to call and ask. Make sure you have a list of questions when you go. The only reason I found out all I did and what I could and couldn't do was because I asked him directly. Good luck.
  • lizb41
    lizb41 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you all for replying x

I'm in the UK so i think it's different here....we don't get a say in who does the surgery....i met the surgeon months before the op when i was first admitted with a bad infection and told i had to have the surgery but i never saw him again. half an hour before the op i was given a different surgeon and again, never saw him or her!! One of the team came to see me before i left hospital the morning after having it done and just told me it went well and i could go home. I don't even know what kind of stitches i have...the nurse at my GP surgery (who i went to see last week as one of the wounds was smelling) said she thinks they are dissolving but not sure!!!

I do appreciate the advice though and will contact the hospital and try get some advice....and good luck to everyone with whatever you are trying to acheive x

Just thought to add, also i wasn't given any follow up appointment....just sent home and didn't think to question it at the time!!
  • bbrown426
    bbrown426 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I never got a follow-up appointment when mine was out, but do suggest calling if you are unsure.
    They cut a major organ out of your body and set you loose without ever speaking to you again? :noway: Think I'd try a different surgeon for future needs.

I thought it was weird too... didn't even get a phone call from the office to see how i was doing. I don't plan on having my gall bladder removed again lol so not worried about that. I have heard that he is one of the best surgeons at that hospital, so it is probably routine now... I guess if you need them you call them.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    After a week in the hospital, a week at home and then being rushed back for emergency gall bladder surgery, I had mine out last Wednesday morning. They first thought it was a stomach/GI issue I had and went for a multitude of tests before they realized my gall bladder was only functioning at 39%. I've done some research and can truly say everyone is definitely different. My coworker had hers out last year and she was back to work in 4 days (albeit, she was in great pain and should've stayed home). I have my surgeon appt. on Wednesday so he'll let me know when I can go back to work (being out of work for 3 weeks.. yeah, I'm sure my coworkers think I'm on vacation -- if ONLY!!). My incisions hurt from time to time - I've noticed my belly button one hurts more today for some reason and I've had a hard time laying on my side (I'm so NOT a back sleeper and I hate not being able to sleep on my side!!). I try to walk some but I get winded really fast. I've also taken notice that my bowel movements have changed drastically, which kind of freaked me out. I'm definitely still learning about what I can and can not eat. And yes, being house bound definitely takes a toll on your well-being.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    After a week in the hospital, a week at home and then being rushed back for emergency gall bladder surgery, I had mine out last Wednesday morning. They first thought it was a stomach/GI issue I had and went for a multitude of tests before they realized my gall bladder was only functioning at 39%. I've done some research and can truly say everyone is definitely different. My coworker had hers out last year and she was back to work in 4 days (albeit, she was in great pain and should've stayed home). I have my surgeon appt. on Wednesday so he'll let me know when I can go back to work (being out of work for 3 weeks.. yeah, I'm sure my coworkers think I'm on vacation -- if ONLY!!). My incisions hurt from time to time - I've noticed my belly button one hurts more today for some reason and I've had a hard time laying on my side (I'm so NOT a back sleeper and I hate not being able to sleep on my side!!). I try to walk some but I get winded really fast. I've also taken notice that my bowel movements have changed drastically, which kind of freaked me out. I'm definitely still learning about what I can and can not eat. And yes, being house bound definitely takes a toll on your well-being.
    Hang in there, it'll get better pretty quickly. I had mine out in December of 2010. I'm also a side sleeper and found it difficult to sleep comfortably for awhile. I have a triangular pillow that I normally use to watch TV in bed. I lay it with the long side down and used that to prop myself up while sleeping. It helped a lot! It also made it easier to get out of bed in the morning.

Just in case you get this, too..... I did notice some pain in the area where my gallbladder used to be on and off for the next few months, but it wasn't severe and it never lasted long. When I asked my doctor he said not to worry about it unless it was really bad or I started running a fever. I haven't had it for a long time now, so I guess it wasn't anything important. :)
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    it's amazing the different experiences that everyone has had. mine was outpatient. i went in at 7 and was home by 11. i think i laid on the couch the first day and then after that i was fine. anything was better than the pain of those attacks. c-sections, an acl tear, reconstruction and physical therapy didn't COMPARE the pain of a gall bladder attack. i thought i was dying. so glad to be rid of the bloody thing!
  • lizb41
    lizb41 Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm having pain where the gall bladder used to be, so thanks for letting me know that's normal. Also i went to see the nurse at my GP's yesterday and she said to stop covering the wounds and get back to normal.....avoid really heavy lifting and gardening but otherwise back to normal....i'm going to start tomorrow when my hubby goes back to work after a few days off....i'll do all the housework i used to and have a try on my exercise bike and just hope i'm doing the right thing and wont be causing any damage inside ;)

well, thanks again for all your comments, they've been a real help x
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Just don't do too much! You might find you tire easily too x
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I'm having pain where the gall bladder used to be, so thanks for letting me know that's normal. Also i went to see the nurse at my GP's yesterday and she said to stop covering the wounds and get back to normal.....avoid really heavy lifting and gardening but otherwise back to normal....i'm going to start tomorrow when my hubby goes back to work after a few days off....i'll do all the housework i used to and have a try on my exercise bike and just hope i'm doing the right thing and wont be causing any damage inside ;)

well, thanks again for all your comments, they've been a real help x
    Your body will let you know when you're doing too much. If you feel any pain or get tired, slow down. Be sure to get as much sleep as you can. I know I could barely keep my eyes open for a more than few hours those first few days! Don't feel guilty about taking an afternoon nap if you get tired.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I had gallstones that were blocking a bile duct, so it made me septic, and I was just really sick, and had all that pain- my eyes went yellow- then was hospitalized, had to have surgery to get the gallstones out, then wait a few days after and get the gallbladder out -I was in the hospital about a week in January 2010 - and still made the cake and cupcakes and held my son's first birthday party after the surgeries, but I was definitely pooped. I was so tired, and have now had a surgery for the last 3 out of 4 years in Jan or Feb - this is the first year surgery free so far! had my 1st son C-section Jan 09, then had the gall bladder emergency surgeries in 2010, then had my 2nd baby C-section Feb 2011...
    I did have a follow up with the doctor about 1-2 weeks after the gallbladder surgeries. I have been told to recover from a surgery takes about 6 weeks or so, but really you should talk to the Dr., it all depends on your body.
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Let your body be your guide. Do what you think you can do and stop when you need to stop. A week after I was back working my cleaning job and carrying 50lb objects. Everyone is different and only you can know what you are able to do right now!
  • julzey65
    julzey65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I had my gallbladder out on the 14thFeb, I have never been in so much pain, on a par with child birth. I seriously want to get back into some exercise I am used to jogging on a daily basis, but one day I feel fine the next pain. I am off to Dr this arvo for some more advise and the same my surgeon didn't really have to much to offer me. I am due to go back to work this week either Wednesday or Friday not sure which I shall choose. Wishing you all the best for your recovery too..
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I had my gallbladder out on the 14thFeb, I have never been in so much pain, on a par with child birth. I seriously want to get back into some exercise I am used to jogging on a daily basis, but one day I feel fine the next pain. I am off to Dr this arvo for some more advise and the same my surgeon didn't really have to much to offer me. I am due to go back to work this week either Wednesday or Friday not sure which I shall choose. Wishing you all the best for your recovery too..
    Just saw this today as I was looking in the My Topics area. How are things today? Feeling any better?
  • madds2
    madds2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Talk to your surgeon and ask them. I had mine done by lap and it was 2 weeks before I could even roll over and sleep on my side comfortably and when I went shopping at a mall around that same time I felt like I was being stabbed in my side by one of the puncture sites. I did not realize how rough it was going to be but it's better than getting pancreatitis from a stuck gall stone.