Diet for Insulin Resistance / Any one with IR problem

Do the suggested calorie calculation and carb-fat-protein calculation require any change for Insulin Resistance person?

Anyone here in this board with IR problem? If yes, Please tell about your diet.

I am Vegetarian, any suggestion for me?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    My suggestion for now is focusing on the kinds of carbs you're eating. I'm not saying eat fewer carbohydrates overall, but instead eat ones that will help restore your insulin response to what you eat.

Bread:
    -Make sure the first ingredient is "100% WHOLE GRAIN x" (that's what it says in the US. If you're elsewhere, it might be different)
    -Make sure it does NOT contain high fructose corn syrup or "enriched white" or "enriched wheat" flour

Pasta:
    same as above, or just avoid it

Potatoes:
    EAT THE SKINS. The more skins the better. Better sweet potatoes than white

Rice:
    Brown or wild. Or replace with quinoa or lentils.

Fruits:
    Eat ones with lots of skin or lots of fibrous-ness in them. Oranges, apples, berries. But only eat a couple servings per day (and probably in the morning or lunchtime

Added sugar:
    Avoid like the plague. No fruit juices. No high fructose corn syrup in soda or salad dressings. Just avoid anything with HFCS altogether

Avoid Trans Fats:
    Completely. Just avoid them.

Other fats:
    Make sure only 1/3 of your fat is from saturated fats. Make the rest unsaturated.
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    i have insulin resistance and am having success with a lower carb diet and 4-5 days of exercise per week for at least 40 minutes per workout... i'm aiming to be between 100g and 150g carb but lower is ok too... have to make up for the lower carbs with higher heathier fats and proteins... don't eat white breads and pastas, eat whole grain or whole wheat... eat lots of veggies and low fat cheeses and nuts.. especially almonds, and i don't know what you would use to substitute the meat but if tofu is low carb try that. aim for 15-30g carbs in snacks and 30-45 in meals... its all about keeping your blood sugars level
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    I'm a type I diabetic, so my chemistry isn't quite the same, but I'll add my 2 cents for what it's worth.

The biggest change I notice in my insulin sensitivity is due to strength training. In my experience, and lots of my fellow diabetic friends, lifting weights can have a dramatic impact on your insulin sensitivity. I literally have to cut my insulin doses in half for a day or two after a heavy session.

Lift weights!

As far as carbs, fat and fiber slow down the blood sugar spikes. I try to keep my carbs to around 125 per day, and eat most of them in the form of veggies, full-fat dairy, and some berries and whole-wheat stuff. I have my ratios set to 30% carb, 40% fat, and 30% protein.
  • Thanks to all, your suggestions are really helpful.

Is there any facility to change the carb, fat & protein ratio for the daily calory intake in MFP settings?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,147 Member
    Considering your vegetarian I would normally suggest a low carb diet, so a diet with as few carbs as you can manage and of course exercise and weight loss is the biggest factor.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Where you go in to set your goals, select Custom then adjust your percentages. You'll see that as you decrease your carbs, mfp will automatically increase the protein and fats.
  • lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    I would suggest you read the book "Eat to Live. An End to Diabetes" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. The diet is vegetarian. He allows a small amount of meat each week but it's optional. I'm Type II diabetic and I lowered my fasting blood sugar by 40 points with it.
  • Thanks to all, I am trying your suggestions. I have already started aerobics. Today I have purchased ESN ISO Whey to replace one of my diet (preferably dinner ) with it & to increase the protein intake (after exercise) instead of carb and fat. Mostly I will also concentrate on little weight training along with cardio, so planning to join a gym tomorrow.

Any suggestion ?
  • I just found out that I am Insulin Resistant…. I've never been one to eliminate things from my diet, just try to eat whole foods in their natural state with a good balance as well as track and exercise… I've lost doing that in that past but I've gained 75 lbs and nothing's working- the blood work confirms it and its the only thing that makes sense so I'm giving their program a try.

I am on a pretty strict diet from my doctor- it's for weight loss (which I need) but it will be able to loosen up when I get back down.
    Here it is:

-- I have to eat at least 20g of protein and no more than 10g of net carbs at a meal and I have to do that 5x a day-- every 2.5-3hrs.

-- I'm not supposed to worry about calories or fat -- just focus on the protein and carbs. (Hard for me!)

-- I'm only allowed 1 fruit a day (and it can't be red apple, pineapple, bananas, grapes or oranges)

-- I have to have at least 2 veges and a salad a day- (can't be carrots, beets, corn or peas)

-- And have to completely avoid: potatoes, rice (including couscous, quinoa, etc), pasta, bread, sugar, fried foods.

-- I'm doing a protein shake a day as well as taking amino acids and B-12 vitamin.

-- I'm supposed to exercise but not focus on it as much as I do my diet (they said 30 min 4-5x a week- I usually do more)

I'm just starting out but so far it's going pretty well- down 5 lbs. I've made a list of "meals" that are 20g protein/10 or less of carbs so I have some ideas to go to during the day without having to sit down and figure out the protein/carbs.

Hope this helps people… feel free to add me or ask questions.
  • Also, I changed my macro settings on here-- My goal is 100g protein (or more) and 50g carbs (or less).
    Helps keep track of it instead of trying to count it up based on what their custom settings would give me.
  • Adventure9
    Adventure9 Posts: 58 Member
    I'm IR and sometimes track my blood sugar after meals to see what effects that different foods have. By, the way, I strongly suggest doing that. (One touch ultra is what I use)

One interesting thing I found. All most all "100% Whole Wheat" and "Whole Grain" breads are full of fast acting carbs that spike my blood sugar. Two pieces of "100% Whole Wheat Bread" spike my blood sugar to the same level as eating a snickers bar. I argued against my Doctor about this for a while. He said so called "100% whole wheat bread" was bad. He told me to measure it to see for myself. I did and was surprised. Since then, I've tried ezekial bread etc. It raises it a little less, but still too much.

I found steel cut oatmeal to be a better choice for a grain (in moderation).
  • Hi jenniferlynn1,

Had you done dome intense regular exercise in past and then left it completely? I thought one of the main reason is this only, Many people do the regular exercise, loose weight and then left the exercise completely/abruptly and again gain the weight, this is the point where actual problem starts occurring - Your body have a habit of regular exercise and in absence of that it don't want much fuel (food) and here is the IR problem starts.

But I hear it can be reverse with diet change & regular exercise. What did your doctor tell to you ? Is it reversible?
  • I'm IR and sometimes track my blood sugar after meals to see what effects that different foods have. By, the way, I strongly suggest doing that. (One touch ultra is what I use)

One interesting thing I found. All most all "100% Whole Wheat" and "Whole Grain" breads are full of fast acting carbs that spike my blood sugar. Two pieces of "100% Whole Wheat Bread" spike my blood sugar to the same level as eating a snickers bar. I argued against my Doctor about this for a while. He said so called "100% whole wheat bread" was bad. He told me to measure it to see for myself. I did and was surprised. Since then, I've tried ezekial bread etc. It raises it a little less, but still too much.

I found steel cut oatmeal to be a better choice for a grain (in moderation).

My doctor recommend Sara Lee 45 Calorie (has to be honey wheat)-- 1 slice has 6.5g carbs with 2g fiber= 4.5 net carbs. I haven't tried it yet but they said that's the best bread option.

Also, the Mission Carb Balance tortillas/wraps-- have 3-6 net carb depending. Tried one this morning with my eggs and salsa, it was pretty good!

They also recommended La Favorita chips as treat option- 7g for 10 chips.
  • Hi jenniferlynn1,

Had you done dome intense regular exercise in past and then left it completely? I thought one of the main reason is this only, Many people do the regular exercise, loose weight and then left the exercise completely/abruptly and again gain the weight, this is the point where actual problem starts occurring - Your body have a habit of regular exercise and in absence of that it don't want much fuel (food) and here is the IR problem starts.

But I hear it can be reverse with diet change & regular exercise. What did your doctor tell to you ? Is it reversible?

Hi, I've always exercised my whole life… usually running or a beach body workout dvd. I started gaining weight while I was exercising actually-- that's why they thought it was my thyroid. I took med for it for 6months but then an endocrinologist did some further studies and said I never should I have started the meds and that could have even been contributing to my gain. I'm not pre-diabetic and the rest of the blood work comes back with no concerns. I did have a hip injury that limited my workouts but I still did my exercise bike/elliptical/weights. So it could be a little bit of lesser exercise, however I started gaining before my injury. My dr says that we don't really know why people are or become resistant… I'll have to ask him if he thinks it can reversed for good, he didn't say.
  • Rubysmom2010
    Rubysmom2010 Posts: 4 Member
    I am insulin resistant as well and pre diabetic with a A1C of 6.2. I am off bread all kinds but kind have fruit mostly berries which i limit to once a day. My problem is getting off artificial sweeteners as I can't take my coffee unsweetened yet. The dietician wants me under a 100 carbs a day to start, but I feel week. I almost am having problems eating mid day which I think contributes to the problem, not getting enough to eat on time. I need ideas on what to eat. Could you share your meals?

Rubysmom