Salad Dressing

Options
2»

Replies

• jlchandl17
    Options
    You said tou get the salad from a grocery store, so just go down the dressing aisle, find one you like with low calories and keep it in the fridge at work.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I just go with straight vinegar. It's negligible calories, and most grocery stores have a bottle of either balsamic or red wine vinegar along side the salad dressings. If that doesn;t quite do it for you, add just a bit of oli, but I've found over time that I've really lost the desire for oil in my dressing.

Another thing I use a lot is mustard. Once again, it has negligible calories.
  • Wandering_1
    Wandering_1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Here are some recipes:

Zesty Avocado Cilantro Buttermilk Dressing
    Skinnytaste.com

Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 3 1/2 tbsp • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 2 pts
    Calories: 64.9 • Fat: 4.8 g • Protein: 1.8 g • Carb: 5.1 g • Fiber: 2.2 g • Sugar: 1.9
    Sodium: 128.8 mg

Ingredients:

3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
    1 small jalapeno, seeds removed, leave them in if you want it spicy
    1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
    1 medium haas avocado
    1 clove garlic
    2 tbsp chopped scallion
    juice of 1 lime
    1/8 tsp cumin
    1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
    1/2 tsp kosher salt

Directions:
    Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. For a thinner dressing add more buttermilk, for a thicker dip use less.

If you don't make the salad you'll have to re-do the calorie count

Avocado Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes

Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1/4th • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 171.3 • Fat: 13.9 g • Protein: 2.8 g • Carb: 13.9 g • Fiber: 6.1 g • Sugar: 2.1 g Sodium: 15.5 mg (without salt)

Citrus Vinaigrette

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 lemon or lime
    1/2 navel orange
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    pinch oregano
    kosher salt and fresh pepper

In a small bowl whisk olive oil, juice from lemon or lime, orange, crushed garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.

For the salad:

1 hass avocado, peeled and sliced
    1 tbsp red onion, sliced
    1 cucumber, sliced
    1 tomato, sliced
    4 cups mixed baby greens

Arrange salad greens on a plate, top with cucumber, avocado, red onion, tomato, salt and pepper. Drizzle vinaigrette over the salad and serve right away

Red Wine Tomato Vinaigrette
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes

Servings: 8 • Size: 2 tbsp • Old Points: 1 pts • Points+: 1 pts
    Calories: 50.8 • Fat: 5.1 • Carbs: 1.3 • Fiber: 0.2 • Sugar: 0.2 • Protein: 0.2

1 medium ripe tomato
    1 clove crushed garlic
    1 tbsp red wine vinegar
    3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    2 tbsp water
    1/2 tsp oregano
    salt and fresh pepper to taste
    1 tbsp minced shallot

Chop tomato in food processor. Add crushed garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, water, dijon mustard, oregano, salt and pepper. Pulse a few times until smooth. Add chopped shallot and mix to blend. Set aside to allow the flavors to blend well.

So yummy!!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    My favorite dressings are homemade, equal parts olive oil and some kind of vinegar/acid plus seasonings. The olive oil is SO healthy for you but you could always cut back on it and do more of a 1:2 ratio if you were needing to save on some calories. My favorites are olive oil plus GOOD balsamic vinegar (like the 25 year aged stuff if you can find it....TOTALLY worth the $$) and salt and pepper, olive oil plus red wine vinegar plus salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano, and olive oil with lemon juice, a dollop of dijon mustard, and salt and pepper.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I usually eat salad without.

I'm glad you posted this. I've learned to like the taste of veggies. After seeing your post I started wondering why I'm using salad dressing. Today I brought a salad sans dressing. I like it. From now on I'm eating my salads naked.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Make it yourself. It is sooooooooooo easy you will wonder why you never did it before!!!!!!!
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One trick I love is to dip your fork in the dressing, as opposed to pouring it on the salad. You use SO much less dressing but still get the flavor in every bite. Plus it makes you slow down while eating.
  • Wandering_1
    Wandering_1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    One trick I love is to dip your fork in the dressing, as opposed to pouring it on the salad. You use SO much less dressing but still get the flavor in every bite. Plus it makes you slow down while eating.

I do that too!
  • cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use Bolthouse, found in the refrigerated section of your store with the bagged salads. So far I have tried the Ranch(45cals) and Mango Chipotle(40cals).

Pretty good stuff.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    They all pretty much have oil in them, so they are pretty calorie heavy across the board. When i go to the salad bar at the grocery store, i either use the guacamole or the mango salsa as my dressing.
  • yewbic
    yewbic Posts: 37
    Options
    "Wishbone - Raspberry Hazelnut Vinaigrette" @ 80 calories per 2 Tbsp.

If im having a salad with fruit in it, like a Spinach, Strawberry, Feta, & Pecan /or Walnut Salad... I love using the Raspberry vinaigrettes :)

"Wishbone - Light Blue Cheese Dressing" @ 70 calories per 2 Tbsp.

If I'm eating a salad that doesn't feature any fruit in it, I'll opt for a blue cheese dressing. The wishbone light only has 70 cal. per 2 Tbsp. but some other brands can go up to 150 cal. per 2 tbsp.

"Ranch Dressing + Apple Cider / Balsamic Vinegar & herbs"

When I make my pasta salad, for the dressing, I like to use a combination of like 2 Tbsp. of ranch and 3 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar. then i add salt, fresh cracked black pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion, dried basil, dried oregano, and a drizzle of my homemade rosemary-garlic infused olive oil :)
  • yolohunter
    yolohunter Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If I get salads outside of the home, I usually request olive oil / red vinegar on the side.

For my home salads I use flax oil with lemon juice from freshly squeezed lemons (instead of vinegar)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse farms has Greek yogurt dressing. They are really good. I bought the blue cheese one, and it has 35 calories per 2 tbsp serving.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Keep a lighter dressing in the fridge at your work instead of picking one of the dressings from where you buy your salad. Alternately, if they have olive oil and balsamic vinegar on hand, you could ask for those on the side as well and mix up your own dressing. At home I do the latter, and add some chopped onion, a little salt and pepper, as well as some garlic chili sauce, mix and serve over my salad.