losing weight by sleeping

Options
Hi all,

I ate a massive chicken korma last night and decided to weigh myself before going to bed. My scales said 58.9kg.

I woke up this morning and weighed myself again clocking in at 57.4kg.

I lost about 3lbs or 1.5kg overnight, just by going to sleep???

Can someone explain how this could happen? I do exercise everyday, but am a bit confused as to how I could burn so much weight off by sleeping.

Cheers

Replies

• bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You cannot loose 1.5 kg of fat overnight. What you can loose is water, you sweat whilst asleep so you will loose weight. You also will burn some energy, converting the food you have eaten into heat. Also due to the time of the day and the rotation of the earth, your position in relation the core will have changed and therefore the gravity; making a difference to the scale. This is why you should weigh yourself at the same time of the day. With a combination of these three things that would explain you weight loss. Weigh yourself once a week at the same time of the day and that should give you a more accurate reading. Honest!!! :wink:
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Calories burned while sleeping
    Water lost both through sweat and breathing (water vapor in your breath)
    If you used the bathroom before your morning weight (water weight went down)

I usually weight 1.5-2 lbs less in the morning than I do at night but it's occasionally as much as 5 lbs.
  • metimemum
    metimemum Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. That explains a few things. I must sweat a lot during the night!
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I'm usually 2-4 lbs lighter in the mornings. Sleep is good!