I Need "Clean Eating" Advice

Options
Ok so I want to start trying to eat clean (or much closer to it). I've been experimenting with clean recipes and buying a lot more clean groceries but I want to start getting a bit more strict about it. I have some questions that might sound stupid but please be nice lol Im just starting out and learning. So I've been doing some reading and here are my questions:

A lot of reading suggests raw almonds rather than just almonds. When you go to a regular grocery store and just buy almonds, those are not raw, huh? Where do I get raw almonds and what is the difference as far as taste and nutrition goes?

Is milk considered clean because so far on the lists that I have read they only list unsweetened almond milk but not regular milk?

What protien products are considered clean?

Can anyone send me a link to a good list of clean foods?

Suggestions for a clean cookbook?

Cheese is clean or not clean?

Any other tips?

Thank you so much everyone.

Replies

• JoPa9477
    Options
    Wash all the food you buy in warm soapy water!

Just kidding.

I do not know much either and I am interested in the responses. What I believe to be clean foods are foods that are not processed. fruits, veggies, nuts, legumes, organic chicken, meats, and wild caught fish.

As for almonds. Stop and Shop has a bag of them, usually they say raw almonds. Opposed to roasted/salted, etc.
  • kiekie33
    Options
    From what I've gathered these last couple of months it's pretty hard to get a true definition of "clean eating" according to who you ask the answers will always differ. The best advice I could give you is to stick to as many unprocessed foods as you can. As far as protein is concerned any lean meats are good ( chicken, fish, beef) and cheese I have no idea I eat plenty of it and it offers a few grams of protein too.
  • Missyonethirtyfive
    Options
    I don't know anything about clean eating. Never heard of this phrase. I would thing that it would mean everything organic & no hmo's. So foods should be natural. If you have a GNC store by you, check out their products. I have a great all natural brown rice protein powder that I use in my breakfast shakes.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I can't answer all your questions as I haven't been 100% clean but I'm pretty close.

Regarding a clean cookbook or recipes, when you start looking online you just realize it is real food. For example, if you wanted to make chili add in all the spices instead of the pre-packaged stuff, use fresh tomatoes instead of canned, etc. It depends on the person but a lot of the cook books I find allow pasta as a clean food. It is highly processed to me so I don't bother with those recipes. It all depends on how far you want to take it.

Reading labels is also the best thing to do. Reduce the amount of 'stuff' in your packaged food. When I buy greek yogurt, I buy it plain because anything else such as the fruit based greek yogurts have preservatives and sugar in them. The yogurt that I buy has 2 ingredients (skim milk and bacteria). This is the same with cheese and dark chocolate. There are a number of "raw" or "paleo" granola bars that you can purchase to help with eating clean. I like the Simply Bar the best. It has 7 ingredients with names that you can pronounce. It does use soy crisps. I don't know how clean those are but i'll include them in my diet.

As a pasta substitute I used Explore Asian's Mung Bean Fettuccine. It is made from mung beans and water. They also have soy bean spaghetti and black bean spaghetti. Tastes like the real stuff unlike that miracle noodle thing where I find you have to mask the taste.

I don't know how much of a fan you are of Peanut Butter (or nut butters in general) but natural all the way from now on. It takes some time getting used to but if you ever tried the regular stuff a few months later you will notice how artificial it really tastes. Don't be fooled as some brands (ahem Skippy) still include sugar and I think salt in their natural peanut butter.

If you're in the market for protein powder then I recommend Kaizen Naturals line. Out of all the natural ones I've tried, this tasted the best and mixed really well. I think it had a total of 4 ingredients and is sweetened with stevia.

Sometimes it gets really hard eating clean but it allows you to be creative and explore your inner chef. I'm craving pizza so I will try things like cauliflower "dough" with fresh tomato salsa, veggies and meat. But it is crazy how ridiculous it could be. Just take a look at your grocery store's flyer and you will soon realize that 60-70% of the products are off limits (for a good reason though).

I have no idea about the almonds. I just buy them on sale and eat them. Whether they are roasted or not, I don't really notice lol I just worried if they are salted or candied.

I drink unsweetened almond milk, and this is, by far, the "dirtiest" food that I eat and it is really enriched with vitamins. With that being said, you can make your own.

Again, I can't help but stress reading labels and educating yourself. Just because it is organic or natural doesn't mean it is clean. I can walk into a health food store and walk out with nothing. For example, some products have started listing "(organic) evaporated cane juice". When you think about it, it is evaporated which means it is a dry crystal, and most sugar comes from canes...yes this is just a fancy way of saying sugar!

Point of the story: it depends how far you want to go, be diligent, be educated, and read labels. It won't be easy, but it is worth it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Clean eating seems to have lost all meaning, so my first question was going to be "what do you mean by "clean eating". But based on the OP, I'm guessing you don't really have a definition etiher.

My advice is to simply ask yourself how natural is this food you are about to eat or use (as an ingredient). The closer the food or ingredient is to how it would be found in nature, the "cleaner" it is.

But keep in mind, that not everything is healthier just becasue it is cleaner.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Clean eating seems to have lost all meaning, so my first question was going to be "what do you mean by "clean eating". But based on the OP, I'm guessing you don't really have a definition etiher.

My advice is to simply ask yourself how natural is this food you are about to eat or use (as an ingredient). The closer the food or ingredient is to how it would be found in nature, the "cleaner" it is.

Agreed. Sugar is technical clean, not really good for you if you eat a bag. lol
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Ok so I want to start trying to eat clean (or much closer to it). I've been experimenting with clean recipes and buying a lot more clean groceries but I want to start getting a bit more strict about it. I have some questions that might sound stupid but please be nice lol Im just starting out and learning. So I've been doing some reading and here are my questions:

A lot of reading suggests raw almonds rather than just almonds. When you go to a regular grocery store and just buy almonds, those are not raw, huh? Where do I get raw almonds and what is the difference as far as taste and nutrition goes?

Is milk considered clean because so far on the lists that I have read they only list unsweetened almond milk but not regular milk?

Any other tips?

- Raw nuts are my go-to just because they don't have salt or anything else on them, and they're minimally processed (just removing the shell). Taste wise there's little difference, although in my experience they're also cheaper but that can vary from store to store.

- Milk is fine. I prefer whole milk but whatever you want to do works. Frankly almond milk is much more processed than even regular milk so not sure what that's about. But honestly again, personal preference. This isn't a big deal.

- Cheese, again, varies depending on what it is. Kraft singles = heavily processed cheese "product," while aged parmeggiano reggiano will have like 2 or 3 ingredients max. Plus the latter just tastes better.

IMPORTANT ---> Basically don't get caught up in what "is" or "isn't" clean. Focus on eating as many foods as you can that have one ingredient - or at least very few ingredients - and you'll be just fine. There is no set definition for what "clean" even means, so if you focus on fewer ingredients, hitting your macros, and eating in a manner that is sustainable and not restrictive for you you'll do great.

Oh, and it's ok to cheat every now and again. Don't cut out the foods you love if you love them :happy:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Agreed. Sugar is technical clean, not really good for you if you eat a bag. lol

Sugar as in table sugar is not very clean. It's a processed product made from cane. Honey is pretty clean though.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I don't think eating clean is necessary, but I can find 5lb bags of raw almonds in a local grocery store. They specialize in more "ethnic" foods, mostly hispanic (I'm in Texas), but there are some fabulous raw nuts in the Indian/Pakistani aisle. Shelled and unsalted pistachios, almonds, peanuts, spanish peanuts, etc. All sorts of them. It's also phenomenal for buying bulk spices because they're just in a bag and super cheap.

ETA: Raw nuts can go rancid more quickly, so if I don't plan on eating them every day, I store them in the freezer.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    There is a clean eating group..check the link for groups. Definitions vary from one person to another, but specific questions can be asked there as well as list of clean food websites.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Is it true that raw almonds must now be pasteurized? If so, what are the health implications of this new requirement?

Yes, starting on September 1, 2007, it became illegal for 100% raw almonds to be manufactured and sold in the United States, with two exceptions (discussed below). You can read the new law and its specific provisions by going to the website address of the California Almond Board at http://www.almondboard.com.

The origins of this new law date back to 2001, when an outbreak of Salmonella poisoning in Canada was traced back to an almond grower in California. At that time, the California Department of Health Services worked with that grower to increase the safety of almond production. But when a second round of Salmonella problems occurred with an entirely different grower, the federal government stepped in to consider a more comprehensive set of actions. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), together with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Centers for Disease Control (CDC), California Almond Board, and other agencies drafted legislation designed to prevent further Salmonella outbreaks based on post-harvest processing of almonds.

Specifically, these government agencies designed a mandatory pasteurization program in which handlers of almonds would be required to process the almonds in such a way that a dramatic reduction in the amount of Salmonella bacteria would take place. (In technical terms, a minimum 4-log reduction was set forth as the standard. A minimum 5-log reduction was also discussed, but not adopted.) To achieve this dramatic reduction in Salmonella bacteria, two major alternatives were envisioned: (1) exposure to steam heat sufficient to raise the surface temperature of the almond kernels to about 200°F (93°C) or (2) insertion of the kernels into a closed chamber where they could be exposed to propylene oxide gas (please note that fumigation with propylene oxide is not allowed in the processing of almonds if the almonds are going to be sold as certified organic).

Two exceptions to these processing requirements were included in the legislation. First, almond growers can receive exemption from these requirements if they can show that their ordinary manufacturing process achieves the same minimum 4-log reduction in Salmonella content. For example, their ordinary manufacturing process might include enough dry roasting or blanching to accomplish this same goal. Second, almond growers can also receive exemption if they will only be selling their almonds directly to customers at local markets, with a limit of 100 pounds per person per day in direct farmer's market sales.

What are the health implications of this new legislation that went into effect on September 1, 2007? First, I am expecting us to see a certain amount of potentially problematic almonds being prevented from entering the marketplace, and that prevention will be a good thing. Second, I am also expecting us to see some nutrient loss in steam-heated almonds that will be unwanted, and, in the case of many almonds, also unnecessary. Third, I am expecting us to see some propylene oxide residues in almonds that were gassed to reduce Salmonella concentrations, and this will be a bad thing because propylene oxide is classified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a probable human carcinogen.

In the long run, I believe that the only solution to the Salmonella-and-almonds predicament will be to understand the underlying reasons why Salmonella bacteria become present in certain batches of almonds and to correct these underlying problems, which I believe have most likely evolved due to non-sustainable approaches to almond growing and inappropriate post-harvest processing. Yet, in the meantime, if you are looking for 100% raw, organically grown almonds, your only option is to purchase from a grower at a local farmer's market, from a grower who has received exemption from the mandatory processing rules, or from a certified organic almond grower outside of the United States who exports almonds to this country.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=324
  • Andreaviolet89
    Andreaviolet89 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I can't answer all your questions as I haven't been 100% clean but I'm pretty close.

Regarding a clean cookbook or recipes, when you start looking online you just realize it is real food. For example, if you wanted to make chili add in all the spices instead of the pre-packaged stuff, use fresh tomatoes instead of canned, etc. It depends on the person but a lot of the cook books I find allow pasta as a clean food. It is highly processed to me so I don't bother with those recipes. It all depends on how far you want to take it.

Reading labels is also the best thing to do. Reduce the amount of 'stuff' in your packaged food. When I buy greek yogurt, I buy it plain because anything else such as the fruit based greek yogurts have preservatives and sugar in them. The yogurt that I buy has 2 ingredients (skim milk and bacteria). This is the same with cheese and dark chocolate. There are a number of "raw" or "paleo" granola bars that you can purchase to help with eating clean. I like the Simply Bar the best. It has 7 ingredients with names that you can pronounce. It does use soy crisps. I don't know how clean those are but i'll include them in my diet.

As a pasta substitute I used Explore Asian's Mung Bean Fettuccine. It is made from mung beans and water. They also have soy bean spaghetti and black bean spaghetti. Tastes like the real stuff unlike that miracle noodle thing where I find you have to mask the taste.

I don't know how much of a fan you are of Peanut Butter (or nut butters in general) but natural all the way from now on. It takes some time getting used to but if you ever tried the regular stuff a few months later you will notice how artificial it really tastes. Don't be fooled as some brands (ahem Skippy) still include sugar and I think salt in their natural peanut butter.

If you're in the market for protein powder then I recommend Kaizen Naturals line. Out of all the natural ones I've tried, this tasted the best and mixed really well. I think it had a total of 4 ingredients and is sweetened with stevia.

Sometimes it gets really hard eating clean but it allows you to be creative and explore your inner chef. I'm craving pizza so I will try things like cauliflower "dough" with fresh tomato salsa, veggies and meat. But it is crazy how ridiculous it could be. Just take a look at your grocery store's flyer and you will soon realize that 60-70% of the products are off limits (for a good reason though).

I have no idea about the almonds. I just buy them on sale and eat them. Whether they are roasted or not, I don't really notice lol I just worried if they are salted or candied.

I drink unsweetened almond milk, and this is, by far, the "dirtiest" food that I eat and it is really enriched with vitamins. With that being said, you can make your own.

Again, I can't help but stress reading labels and educating yourself. Just because it is organic or natural doesn't mean it is clean. I can walk into a health food store and walk out with nothing. For example, some products have started listing "(organic) evaporated cane juice". When you think about it, it is evaporated which means it is a dry crystal, and most sugar comes from canes...yes this is just a fancy way of saying sugar!

Point of the story: it depends how far you want to go, be diligent, be educated, and read labels. It won't be easy, but it is worth it.

Wow thank you! This all sounds like great advice!
  • Andreaviolet89
    Andreaviolet89 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

- Raw nuts are my go-to just because they don't have salt or anything else on them, and they're minimally processed (just removing the shell). Taste wise there's little difference, although in my experience they're also cheaper but that can vary from store to store.

- Milk is fine. I prefer whole milk but whatever you want to do works. Frankly almond milk is much more processed than even regular milk so not sure what that's about. But honestly again, personal preference. This isn't a big deal.

- Cheese, again, varies depending on what it is. Kraft singles = heavily processed cheese "product," while aged parmeggiano reggiano will have like 2 or 3 ingredients max. Plus the latter just tastes better.

IMPORTANT ---> Basically don't get caught up in what "is" or "isn't" clean. Focus on eating as many foods as you can that have one ingredient - or at least very few ingredients - and you'll be just fine. There is no set definition for what "clean" even means, so if you focus on fewer ingredients, hitting your macros, and eating in a manner that is sustainable and not restrictive for you you'll do great.

Oh, and it's ok to cheat every now and again. Don't cut out the foods you love if you love them :happy:

Great, sounds good, thanks so much for taking the time to give me advice! :)
  • in_the_stars
    Options

Any other tips?

Good advice! :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm going to sound old here, but back in the day before the interwebs allowed anyone and everyone to voice their opinions and create countless definitions for what used to be a commonly understood term "clean eating" was basically eating whole foods. Fruit, veggies, meats, eggs, dairy & avoiding junk food & processed garbage. The end.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm going to sound old here, but back in the day before the interwebs allowed anyone and everyone to voice their opinions and create countless definitions for what used to be a commonly understood term "clean eating" was basically eating whole foods. Fruit, veggies, meats, eggs, dairy & avoiding junk food & processed garbage. The end.

agree 100% man. well said.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

Any other tips?

Some foods have the odd effect of making me feel hungrier, ultimately. (cheetos, doritos)
    Or make me retain a lot of water. (the same, or pizza)
    Or mess with my blood sugar. (sodas, supermarket candy)
    Or make my gut have ibs symptoms (dairy substitutes)
    I stay away from those.
    It's whatever works for you!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My advice on clean eating? Don't worry about it so much.
  • in_the_stars
    Options

Like! :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The answers to your questions are going to depend on your definition of "clean." I put almost no stock in it personally. I eat a lot of whole nutrient dense foods. I satisfy my macronutrient and micronutrient requirements, and I relax about the rest.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/should-you-be-eating-clean/

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/