Give yourself a break.

Options
Give yourself a break.

Have you been hard on yourself lately? Do you criticize yourself at every misstep?

Negative self talk does not help you to change the behaviors you want to change. It is discouraging, and often leads to self destructive behavior. So, instead of telling yourself you are fat, for example, tell yourself you are making progress, or that you are capable of change, or that you are lovable.

Action for the day: Today, be nice to yourself. Talk kindly. Don't judge. Be encouraging. You may be surprised at how you respond to a break from the harshness.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at www.nawls.com.

Replies

• tititran
    Options
    I agree. Whenever I'm feeling down because I ate poorly or because I gained weight at first I tend to criticize myself. However, I realized that by giving myself encouragements and set up a healthy food list for the following days I actually stick to my plan and feel motivated.

It's you body. Love it. Don't hate it. Help it. Don't criticize it.

Cheers <3
  • larousse_37
    Options
    Great post!!

Negative self talk tends to actually make things worse, particularly when you constantly have a 'negative atmosphere' floating around in your head. It's easy to give up and have a blow out if you're already crucifying yourself over a slip up.

I find I do a lot better with my eating and exercise if I'm being kind to myself. Positive reinforcement I find is the most effective way for me
  • rozsbluejay
    rozsbluejay Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Great post! Pay it forward! I will try that self positive thing. Keep up what your doing.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I struggle with this on a daily basis and you really do have to put in a conscious effort in order to change your mind set.