So I'm Putting Away the Scale

So this is my first post - please be easy on me! So I started this leg of the journey in November 2013. I just said "Enough is Enough. It's time to change and do this for LIFE". Well, since then, I've lost 32 lbs and I feel great! Well, because this is a life change, I decided I need to start to dig deep and also work on the mental side that has kept me unhealthy and not loving me for almost 30 years. I've always had self-esteem/validation issues and I need someone/something to make me feel good about myself. So now I realize I need to learn to validate myself. So I started to realize - whether I wanted to admit it or not - the scale had become my new source of "positive" validation. When the number was down, maaaaan I was walking around on roller skates! When it was stagnant/up after a treat meal, I would get frustrated with myself and "vow" to get all the "weight" (aka water retention from sodium) down so I could see more losses. But it wasn't healthy. I started thinking, "so what happens after I get to my goal weight? Then what?" I knew all about weight loss, but after the scale had done it's job validating me, what would I do next? So after a really fun (but lousy food) weekend, the scale jumped 7(!) lbs (I guess Chipotle, Cookout, and a chinese buffet will do that)! Yes, I know I pretty much tortured myself by stepping on it. But I decided that was it - I can't keep torturing myself like this. Treating EVERY DAY like weigh-in day. The scale was controlling me. It dictated my food, my exercise intensity, my mood - that's not life!

So it's been two days since my husband hid the scale from me and I'm happier that I put it away - I've found now I'm more interested in pushing myself in the gym now that I'm not working out solely to see the scale go down. but I'm also very anxious. I find myself "casually" trying you look for it - esp in the morning. I know there are other ways to measure success (smaller clothes, fitness tests, looking in the mirror) but I'm not necessarily looking for new measures of success outside of the scale.

My question is how do I not let my anxiety of not having the scale as a daily validation freak me out? I feel very anxious "not knowing". At least with the scale as it went down, I had a daily reminder I was doing "something" right. What can I do to stay sane without my scale and continue to encourage myself without my daily affirmation from the scale? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• denitahawkins
    denitahawkins Posts: 36 Member
    ::Taps the Mic:: Anyone? :wink:
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    If the scale is causing you that much stress then let the hubby keep it hidden for a while. As for motivation pick a fitness goal to work towards, hitting a new milage when running gives me such a high and makes me feel like a bada$$ for like 2 days!
  • scrottea
    scrottea Posts: 2 Member
    Wow your post fits me to a tee. The scale can determine if I will have a good day or bad day. Drives me crazy. I have been thinking about having my husband hide it. Scares me to be with out it. It is something I am working up to. Thanks for your post. I am glad I am not the only one.:wink:
  • Stop using the scale!! The scale can sometimes be your worst enemy. You should not be weight yourself a couple times a week. That will sometimes give you a false sense of security and make you think you're not having any progress when in reality you just may be. Losing pounds and inches are two different things that you need to understand. Anyone has any questions, feel free to message me on here.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    I try to only weigh myself on Sunday mornings when I wake up. Even with that schedule, I still have ups and downs. When I don't weigh myself consistently my weight goes up.
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Maybe...buy yourself a new outfit one size smaller and work toward fitting into it. Hang it up in a place you can easily see it every day.

Set goals and rewards for exercise and eating regardless of the scale. Say, just for example, one month of consistent work outs and meeting calorie goals = spa day, high lights, pedi/mani, movie, or whatever you enjoy.
  • captgalactic
    captgalactic Posts: 11 Member
    I'm doing the same thing. I have an unhealthy obsession with the scale. And even though I KNOW that the reason the scale hasn't moved for me this week is due to water I still get frustrated.

If you really try to focus on your fitness goals and as yourself questions like "how do I feel?", "how are my energy levels?", "can I run further?", "can I lift more or do more reps?", then your fitness goals can provide the validation you are using the scale for.

Something I do, which works well for me, is that every day I meet a health goal (i.e. eating in my target calorie range, running, yoga, strength training, getting 7000 steps or more) I get a star on the calendar for that health goal. I feel AWESOME at the end of the month when I can look at the calendar and see all the stars. And, doing it everyday lets me see if there is a course correction I need to make, like eating less or trying to fit in different exercise. So again, this could provide the validation you are using the scale for.
  • I am sorry but I have no suggestions for a daily affirmation but I do want to say good job and commend you for putting the scale away. She's a ***** and doesn't know what she's really talking about anyway :laugh: I have stopped weighing myself daily too.(I had a doctors appointment last week and that is the only time this whole month I have done so.) A month ago I read the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women," started eating 40.30.30 and following their workout schedule, & had my measurements taken. To date I have lost 4 pounds this month but lost a total of 7.3 inches all over! Waiting a whole month is really awesome because it adds up to more and really shows progress. That's my suggestion. Don't worry about the scale and focus primarily on inches lost :flowerforyou:
  • When it comes to the scale, I don't think day to day weigh-ins is a great way to judge progress anyway, especially with your mental/motivational well-being. Keep it hid away and limit your weigh-ins to once a week or 2 weeks. Then, you're keeping track in order to monitor your progress while keeping yourself accountable but not micromanaging your weight.
  • denitahawkins
    denitahawkins Posts: 36 Member
    Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions! I know a lot of these posts are repetitive and people are like "Just search for the answer I've answered 7 times!" but I really appreciate all of the feedback and look forward to more! All of you here are so inspirational - to see there are SO many other people working to be the best versions of us we can be definitely helps me (and I'm sure others) see that we CAN do this and we are worth it! :flowerforyou:

(S/N: I'm going to buy an outfit in the [GASP] Junior's section this weekend (even though I probably have no business wearing stuff out of that section anyways :laugh: )and I'm going to get in it daggone it!
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    I need the scale to keep me honest.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    I am laughing a little as I read this because it's exactly me. However, I honestly feel if my husband hid the scale I woudl refuse to go to work until I got it back. I also weigh in every morning but I generally don't tell him as he will use logic as to why I shouldn't be doing it daily.....

In any case, also take your measurements. Measure yourself periodically to watch your progress. In less than 10 pounds I lost 2.5 inches from my stomach.

Set yourself new physical goals.

Judge by how you feel and how your clothes fit.

And good luck without the scale!