Stronglifts Q: Substitute for Rows

Options
jayche
jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
Considering Stronglifts, but not a fan of traditional/pendlay rows. Just looking for exercise substitute suggestions.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    pull ups?

lat pulls/seated rows/over head pulls/ cable fly

I mean they are good for you- why would you skip them anyway?
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Well, what are you a fan of that involves some sort of pulling motion?
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength doesn't have rows, maybe check that one out?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Dumbell rows?

Why don't you like them?
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    There's a "starting strength" template called "Practical Programming" that removes power cleans from the program and replaces them with pullups and chinups, making it similar to what you're looking for. It rotated things around a lot, so there were 6 different "workouts"

Squat
    1 of Bench or OHP
    1 of Chins, Pullups or Deadlifts.

I did the weights starting strength style, 3x5. On the chins and pulls I did 3 sets to failure. When I hit 10+ on the first set I started adding weight to them and continuing with 3 sets to failure.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Could learn power cleans. That's what they do in Starting Strength, which is one of the reasons I feel that Starting Strength is (slightly) superior to the Stronglifts 5x5 program. They're harder to learn though.

A more direct substitute would be chin/pull ups, or Kroc rows (a dumbbell row). Jim Wendler is a big fan of them, and I've started with them recently as an assistance exercise, much better than a barbell row which I also hate.
  • jayche
    Options
    Not sure if Starting Strength's linear progression will work for me, I was planning on running Madcows sorry if I was misleading.

As for why I don't like Pendlay Rows, I just don't.

Thanks everyone for contributing so far Power Cleans seem to be my best bet right now but I'm still open to suggestions!

Edit: Also concerned about potential muscular imbalances that may be the result of pressing with no antagonistic movement such as rowing. Chin-ups/Pull-ups don't seem to have the same explosiveness to it. Maybe Kroc Rows.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Isn't Madcows basically Bill Starr's routine with rows subbed for power cleans anyway?

I think running it with power cleans is a great idea.
  • jayche
    Options
    Isn't Madcows basically Bill Starr's routine with rows subbed for power cleans anyway?

I think running it with power cleans is a great idea.
    Now that you mention it .... it is lol
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Not sure if Starting Strength's linear progression will work for me, I was planning on running Madcows sorry if I was misleading.

Thanks everyone for contributing so far Power Cleans seem to be my best bet right now but I'm still open to suggestions!

Edit: Also concerned about potential muscular imbalances that may be the result of pressing with no antagonistic movement such as rowing. Chin-ups/Pull-ups don't seem to have the same explosiveness to it. Maybe Kroc Rows.

meh- suck it up butter cup.

I hate benching.

Still do it because it's wildly useful and it's to big of a thing to leave out. leaving out lateral raises is one thing- but leaving out an entire 1/4 of your body is a little silly.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't like rows either...least favorite lift but I do SL regardless...

Why because it's a good program.

Rows are one exercise out of 5 that is done once or twice a week....eh I agree with JoRocka suck it up buttercup.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I agree with the power cleans suggestion.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Clean_Videos
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts#The_Powerclean

From the above link:
    The benefits of this lift are many. Explosive Olympic lifts create the highest level of Central Nervous System activation. The result is that they recruit the highest percentage of muscle fibers. Because they are a highly skilled lift, they require a high degree of fine motor control. The combined effect is an improvement in speed, balance and overall coordination. Speed and correct form are more important than weight with this lift. Done correctly the lift occurs in the blink of an eye and therein lies its Power. Speed x Strength = POWER.

Powercleans are great for:

Incredible traps
    Great explosiveness which helps in deadlifts and squats
    Grip and forearm development
    Deltoid development
    Deadlift assistance
    Variety
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Try dumb bell rows. I'm not a fan of bb rows either because it just feels awkward to me but I love db rows.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    "Don't like" usually means "should do".
  • jayche
    Options

meh- suck it up butter cup.

I hate benching.

Still do it because it's wildly useful and it's to big of a thing to leave out. leaving out lateral raises is one thing- but leaving out an entire 1/4 of your body is a little silly.
    Except 1/4 of my body (in my case particularly its probably closer to 1/2... lol) isn't being left out, rows are just being substituted for another back exercise. My pulling strength is wildly out of proportion to my other lifts (in a good way) without doing [pendlay] rows, I don't see the need to incorporate them now.

Matter of fact I dislike benching too, but I still do it because of the lack of available substitutes for that particular exercise/muscle group that are suitable for my goals.
    Rows/Back tends to have a lot more substitutes to choose from, whether it be pull-ups, chin-ups, db rows, rack pulls, power cleans, etc. Why would I force myself to do an exercise I don't like doing when there are other exercises I can do that fulfill the same purpose?

Edit: I digressed a tiny bit, hopefully we can go back on topic.
    Seems like the overall consensus is power cleans. I might put in some db rows as extra accessory work if I feel it necessary.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Heck, even Mehdi recommends doing the power clean if you're sufficiently motivated (http://stronglifts.com/do-you-make-these-15-common-mistakes-on-stronglifts-5x5/ , Paragraph 3)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Considering Stronglifts, but not a fan of traditional/pendlay rows. Just looking for exercise substitute suggestions.
    Kroc rows.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Power Cleans...the rows in SL are actually subs for Power Cleans. Power Cleans or Hang Cleans rock.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Pullups and face pulls.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Matter of fact I dislike benching too, but I still do it because of the lack of available substitutes for that particular exercise/muscle group that are suitable for my goals.
    Rows/Back tends to have a lot more substitutes to choose from, whether it be pull-ups, chin-ups, db rows, rack pulls, power cleans, etc. Why would I force myself to do an exercise I don't like doing when there are other exercises I can do that fulfill the same purpose?

curious if you knew all that why bothering asking?

I mean I get it if you don't like it don't do it- and there are other options. but meh
    you know what nm.