AM Workouts vs PM Workouts

I recently decided to start exercising first thing in the morning as my evenings are starting to get very busy. Until now, I've been a staunch supporter of evening workouts. When is your preferred time to work out? What pros and cons have you experienced as a result?

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    I do it late in the afternoon because I don't like getting up early.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    I generally prefer the mornings, simply because my motivation wanes as the day wears on.
  • oceanbreeze27
    oceanbreeze27 Posts: 66 Member
    Not wanting to get up early was always my reasoning, too!
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Young and pre-kids I worked out later in the day and that was far superior because I am not a morning person, I had more energy, I slept better, it helped with my ferocious appetite.

Now I set the alarm for 5:30, grudgingly get out of bed at 5:50, and do them. The pro is they actually get done. The con is - everything else. lol
  • I do it in the afternoon, right after work. I just pack my gym bag and go straight to the gym from work. I've found that this has worked well for me. Doing it in the morning doesn't work because I get up early for work and have to be in early.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    I'm a zombie in the morning and have trouble putting enough effort into a workout if it's really early. I will put a lot more into a workout in the mid-late morning. 10-11am is best for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    during the work week I ride my bike at lunch because that's when I have time to fit my rides in...I lift in the evening...that's when I rock it. My lifts suck if it's too early in the morning. Even on Weekends, I have to wait until at least around noon or so to lift.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Morning is great if you can handle it......your rationale (for the day) will be "hey, I've already done something good.....why screw it up by eating (insert food weakness here)"
  • ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Well being in the military I've been forced to get up at 0430 to PT (work out) 0530-0630 Mon-Fri for the last 6 months. I recently stopped having to do that and now PT in the afternoons/evenings. I prefer it this way. In the morning I'm tired and groggy and anything other than a spin class where I'm being led I find I'm not as motivated or working as hard as I do in the afternoons. To each their own!
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Pretty much the same as richardositos. I go after work because otherwise it won't get done because mornings and I are not friends.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    I have too much trouble getting up early to workout in the morning. I prefer evenings because I feel better about burning some cals at the end of the day, and it helps me sleep better. I think it's all just personal preference really
  • jlmuise25
    jlmuise25 Posts: 45 Member
    I hate waking up early in the mornings, HOWEVER, if I don't get up in the mornings and do my workout first thing, I won't do it later. I have no motivation later in the day to work out. After work I just want to go home and spend time with my kids and hubby. I like my evenings when I'm not worried about working out and showering around dinner time.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Mornings all the way! Get it done :)
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    I do both! I don't have kids or pets, so it's pretty easy for me. It's also an excuse to take a shower in the morning and at night. I do that anyways (mornings aren't complete without a shower and I have a messy job that I need to clean up from in the evenings), but I like to get a workout before to make it that much more worth it. I don't do long workouts, just 1/2 hour sessions (although pretty intense), so I don't ever feel like I'm overdoing it. If I had to choose, I'd go with the mornings. A good sweat wakes me up more than coffee.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,085 Member
    Generally morning because workouts a night keep me from sleeping well.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Both. I lift in the mornings and ride my stationary bike at night.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Late morning or early afternoon here, usually over lunch. My morning workouts are never as good as my mid-day ones.

In the past I tried to stick to early morning workouts, and I would flame out because I hated it.
  • Left to my own devices, I'm an afternoon/evening workout kind of person. I lost a good chunk of weight about four years ago (close to 40 pounds!), and I was going to the gym nearly every night after work. At that time, I was not in a relationship and had a lot of free time, so it worked well for me. Now, my fiance and I go to the gym together, and evenings are much busier (spending time with him, homework, cleaning up, whatnot), so we go in the mornings. If it weren't for him, there would be many many mornings that I would say forget it and just sleep in... but he keeps me going. It was really hard to get used to morning workouts (at first I just felt too tired to do anything), but my body is now used to getting up and going, and I can get in some really good workouts in the morning. It is a great feeling having the workout done for the day and just being able to go home after work (especially after a long day), but I still enjoy going out for a walk or run in the evening every now and then.
  • laurenrrogers
    laurenrrogers Posts: 7 Member
    I have always worked out after work. However, I started going to the gym early in the mornings before work and I really like it. Because there isn't a lot of people there at 530 in the morning, I can choose the equipment I want to use. The best part of it is that the workout is done and I eat better throughout the day because I don't want to mess up the hard work I put in at the gym.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    I get up at 4:30 am to work out. It's the only time of day I know I won't be interrupted (I have a husband and 13-month-old), and it's when I have the most energy and motivation. Also it's nice to just do it and get it out of the way for the day.