WTF is "Eating Right"?

Options
There are Pescatarians.
There are Vegetarians.
There are Vegans.
There are people who eat all kinds of meat.
There are people out there who don't eat carbs.
There are people out there who have 'low sodium' diets.

What is right? What works for me may not work for you. How do you know what works for you? How do you know what doesn't? To me, I don't think there is a universal "way to eat". And the question, "Are you eating to live or living to eat?" is a very valid question. WHY do you choose to eat the foods that you eat? Because of studies done that you've read on? Because a celebrity eats that way? Because your doctor told you so?

For my fellow MFP'ers, why do you eat what you eat?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you are getting your nutrients...vitamins and minerals and meeting your protein and fat requisites, you are eating right. The way people choose to go about that is completely up to them...in that RE, there is no "right"

ETA: I'm a foodie...therefore I eat...really good, high quality food that kicks *kitten*.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

because it fills my moral/ethical/taste/lifting needs and I like it.

it's tasty. and delicious
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You're asking a pretty loaded question lol. It's different for everyone. Remember the rhyme "jack sprat could eat no fat but his wife could eat no lean"? I believe "eating right" is eating what is right for you. If eating right for you is a whole grain diet then you go eat those whole grains. If no carb works for you then kiss those babies goodbye. Its pretty much touch and go and as long as your appetite and body are nourished and satisfied to each their own.

I eat low carbs because if I eat too much my weight goes up but without them I just feel dumb, my brain just doesnt function correctly. I try to eat as much protein as possible because it makes me feel good. I'm just trying to keep a balance that keeps me full, functioning and happy as I try to shed the weight I've gained.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it's putting food in your mouth, chewing it and swallowing it. If you're putting food anywhere else, you're doing it wrong.

serious answer: your body needs protein (including all the essential amino acids), fat (including all the essential fatty acids), carbohydrates, all the various vitamins and minerals, plus fibre and water. If you're getting all of those while staying within your calorie goal and you're not getting way too much of any of them (some nutrients can be toxic in excess, e.g. vitamin A) then that's a balanced diet and eating right. Ignore anyone who makes things more complicated than that. (vegan and vegetarian diets are about ethics rather than health, nothing wrong with them, but no need to give up meat if you don't have moral objections to eating it)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you are getting your nutrients...vitamins and minerals and meeting your protein and fat requisites, you are eating right.

Pretty much this. Lets say you have Cheetos after getting all your vitamins, minerals, protein and fat. You are still "eating right". The inclusion of the Cheetos does not negate the benefits of all the other food you ate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    it's putting food in your mouth, chewing it and swallowing it. If you're putting food anywhere else, you're doing it wrong.

tumblr_inline_msm5h2IdLX1qz4rgp.gif
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    There are Pescatarians.
    There are Vegetarians.
    There are Vegans.
    There are people who eat all kinds of meat.
    There are people out there who don't eat carbs.
    There are people out there who have 'low sodium' diets.

What is right?

Seems like there are different answers for different people. I just eat less than I burn and try to hit my macros.

If I'd only seen it a few minutes sooner...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Such a simple question, that has an infinitely complex answer.

Personally I try to compose the vast majority of my diet with fruits, veggies, eggs, meat, fish, chicken, nuts & seeds. I have dairy in the form of yogurt, cheese & butter, and the odd glass of milk. Oils to cook with, potatoes & rice on occasion, and the odd pasta dish. I'm not a fan of bread so I dont go out of my way to eat it, but don't avoid it either. The rest is whatever it ends up being. I rarely to never drink pop, eat fast food, frozen dinners, or processed junk food.

I eat this way because it gives me the most energy and the least amount of digestive stress. I never feel deprived, I'm all about making some awesome meals, they just tend to all come from whole ingredients.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I tend to view "eating right" as "better than I used to."

I don't do vegan, vegetarian pescetarian, low carb, no carb, just cabbage, just grapefruit, no processed foods, only shakes, only soup, atkins, south beach, or whatever other goofy, strange, alien, and all-out weird other things that are out there.

I eat food. I eat yogurt for breakfast. I usually eat out for lunch - Chinese food, Italian food, steakhouse food, whatever. I'll have a protein/fiber bar here or there. Drink water. dinner's usually take-out, or whatever I can throw together easily once I get home.

Eating right means whatever works best for me on my path to weight loss. If I'm losing weight, that means I'm "eating right (for me)". Yes, my sugar intake has gone down, my fiber intake has increased, my cholesterol is slowly going down, my weight is down. So, must be doing something right.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    If you are getting your nutrients...vitamins and minerals and meeting your protein and fat requisites, you are eating right. The way people choose to go about that is completely up to them...in that RE, there is no "right"

ETA: I'm a foodie...therefore I eat...really good, high quality food that kicks *kitten*.

^ Dat up dare
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat some because it's delicious.

Some because it's nutritious.

And some because it's there and I'm hungry and lazy.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Hard to argue with this...
  • NekaMaye88
    NekaMaye88 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Hard to argue with this...

This is EXACTLY what I believe. And thanks to EVERYONE for giving their insight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I follow healthy eating guidelines based on science. Even if the science is inconclusive, I tend to limit foods that have a repeated association with higher risk of disease. I've never been much of gambler, so I like the odds in my favor.

This is my favorite source for nutrtion information: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/
    It seems the most reasonable to me and, having followed the general advice on there for a couple of decades, I've remained healthy. Maybe it's the diet, maybe it's good genes, maybe it's dumb luck, but as I said, I'm not a gambler. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

A variety of vegetables, a little fruit, whole grains, nuts, beans, lean meats, olive oil, wine. Most meals are home-prepared. Of "diets" that I've seen, the Mediterranean diet most closely resembles what I eat most of the time. But I still eat a little junk food (by my own definition).

Edit: oops, I left out the link
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    80% healthy, 20% whatever fits your macros
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    because, BACON
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    If It Fits In Your Macros.

all other ways to eat are based on this and an additional restriction.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    If you're putting the food in your mouth instead of in other places I'd consider that "right."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I eat to:

Survive
    To be able to perform good workouts
    Happiness

All the while making sure that I meet my macro/micro nutrients.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Such a simple question, that has an infinitely complex answer.

Personally I try to compose the vast majority of my diet with fruits, veggies, eggs, meat, fish, chicken, nuts & seeds. I have dairy in the form of yogurt, cheese & butter, and the odd glass of milk. Oils to cook with, potatoes & rice on occasion, and the odd pasta dish. I'm not a fan of bread so I dont go out of my way to eat it, but don't avoid it either. The rest is whatever it ends up being. I rarely to never drink pop, eat fast food, frozen dinners, or processed junk food.

I eat this way because it gives me the most energy and the least amount of digestive stress. I never feel deprived, I'm all about making some awesome meals, they just tend to all come from whole ingredients.

This. Except rice every day and no red meat. :)